Tunnels, Asking the Impossible?

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
Basically I'm hoping (cough splutter) to create an underground secret base using tunnels. I suspect there's no way to join tunnels to extend an (make) underground storage facility? In theory there should be something as subways would have tunnels branching off, but anything I've tried, whilst they will join, will also have a wall blocking the other tunnel. Is there anything suitable? The only other way means not using hills, but form walls and roof from splines, but then that's not underground and hidden. Is there anything suitable I haven't found?

Basically I'm hoping (cough splutter) to create an underground secret base using tunnels. I suspect there's no way to join tunnels to extend an (make) underground storage facility? In theory there should be something as subways would have tunnels branching off, but anything I've tried, whilst they will join, will also have a wall blocking the other tunnel. Is there anything suitable? The only other way means not using hills, but form walls and roof from splines, but then that's not underground and hidden. Is there anything suitable I haven't found?

You can take most assets and burry them underground using the Height tool on most tabs in Surveyor. You must edit in wireframe mode to be able to see what your doing, and when you turn wireframe mode off, you will not see anything. Here is a subway station that was lowered below ground level, from here you could attach regular or tunnel type tracks.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Pretty sure there are some tunnel junctions that exist, either as fixed track for the junction or as splines where only half of the tunnel exists.

Found them, a bit old but as andi06's licence covers mods etc could be updated and reskined to suit?

<kuid:122285:2014> AJS Tunnel M (Junction)
<kuid2:122285:2016:1> AJS Tunnel T (Junction)

You can also use the old-fashioned cut and cover method too. I did that back in TRS2006 or TS2009 where we didn't have layers to make things a lot easier.

You dig your hole and cut, place the assets then cover over with a concrete and grass splines. Using layers, you can adjust things without impacting others by placing the tunnel assets on a "tunnel layer", for example.

This is made up of tunnel sections - subsurface walls with ceiling
Tunnel 1trck black 4m ~~~ dm-tunnel-bs wand 9m ~~~ ajs subsurface wall concrete
ans a few odd walls to fillin the gaps
the tunnels give the illusion of depth as you see through the outer wall to the inner wall
the area here is about 300mts x 65mts

Interesting, but I've run into one problem, as I didn't mention this is for NG 3ft 6in track. Using tunnels without track (one option) means a lot more work trying to match grades given it's not a flat area. Still, I should be able to get something to work.

Interesting, but I've run into one problem, as I didn't mention this is for NG 3ft 6in track. Using tunnels without track (one option) means a lot more work trying to match grades given it's not a flat area. Still, I should be able to get something to work.

Look at whamm0's 'Western Star Railroad', <kuid:57443:100941>. It's 3 foot gauge, set in the Old West, and has an underground space-age military base. You will notice in Surveyor that layers are used extensively.

All these tunnels are without track
lay the track and grade then lay tunnel over the track then fill

"All these tunnels are without track
lay the track and grade then lay tunnel over the track then fill"

Um, yer obviously. But there are plenty of tunnels with track as well and I think that includes the AJS ones. I decided to download that route (Western Star) and have a look at it. At a mere 1.5mb I thought that'd be quick enough (without a FCT). 12 hours later it's barely half downloaded! 909-911 items required. I've now bought a FCT lol. As for layers, I'm already using a few, one to hide the fiction underground facility, another places ground textures over the digholes to hide that when the fictional part is hidden, and I may add more yet. Interesting experience anyway.
:eek:

Still, problem is they don't have, nor convert to 3ft 6in track. No simply way to update any AJS to build 3.5. Anyway, I've tested his very old 'T" type tunnel joiner, and have managed to make something wide enough for 4 tracks plus a generous middle platform, so by keeping most of it level, it should work out as per these (incomplete) screenshots. Pity you can't turn on the lights during the day!

With roof (started).
Secret-underground-facility-under-construction%2C-4-tracks-wide-with-centre-platforms-and-unloading-sidings.-%28With-roof%29..jpg

Support walls going in, plus scenery items.
Secret-underground-military-depot-under-construction%2C-support-walls-going-in%2C-roof-last.-Circa-1942..jpg

Next trick, I want to add some sort of Multiple Industry to load, unload military weapons and equipment. All the standard types can not be lowered, but I see the SAP_BI3 types do, however they won't convert/accept NG track. Anyone know of anything suitable, and I'll keep looking in the meantime, thanks.

Edit: In the world of "it's really odd" I've discovered the SAP_BI3 won't accept any NG Protrack, but will accept other NG track like 3ft 6in Bridge Track, or 3ft 6in rails only. Then if I delete those attached to it, and then add Protrack it will change to that track type!!! As the route is made with protrack, I can't use any with ballast in the tunnels (or the ballast shots up to the surface!), so I'm using Protrack No Ballast. Looks a little odd, but may have to do. Now, back to work... :)

Last edited:
Back