More road traffic needed

autodctr

Is there a way to increase the number of cars on my roads? My current layout only has one road coming onto the layout. The layout itself is 100 bases. I would like to get more cars on the roads if possible.

Thanks!

Wow. I had hoped for something a lot simpler. Thanks for your reply, but I think that I will stick with your tagline for now. :)

Basically you'd need to create a new region file, and add more cars to the list or you could alter the existing one, but if it's used in other routes, then it would alter them there as well. Creating a new region isn't that hard, clone the current one, give it a new name, open the config file and add additional cars. Simple, once you know how.

The wiki link in post #2 is 8 years old and, from the screenshots, is for an older version of Trainz.

A more recent wiki page on creating region assets, which includes details on adding carz, is at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Create_a_Region_Asset

Great article, thank you for that. The OP asked how to add more traffic, your Wiki does not address the question. The Wiki I linked to shows basically how to build on what you show in the Region, and in the Route config.txt how to regulate it.

So you can make your traffic (carz list) in the region (or route or both), then use the 'carrate' tag to regulate how much traffic. Also; You can add a car list to a route to either enable cars or add more cars than specified in the region

If your region has a car list then it can be used to add those carz to a route by adding the region tag to the route's config.txt as follows:-

Code:
region     <kuid:XXXXXX:YYYY>     ..............the kuid of your region
carrate    4                      ..............an integer 3 to 50 in value to control
                                                the delay between cars being spawned
                                                (smaller value means more carz)
ontheright 1                      ..............for countries where we drive on the
                                                 right hand side of the road

I know the Wiki I linked to was old, but the config tags are not as far as I know. I am not sure if the 'carrate' tag can be used in the region asset, maybe you know that answer and can update your Wiki with that tag.

Also, what happens if you Route has one of these tags, and is duplicated in the region, does it cause an error, or does the route or region have higher priority (this is my question)

Again thank you for the Wiki articles. They really help a lot. I find myself going there first now instead of the forums. I go to the forums when I get stuck.

Last edited:
I've never had an issue with the region overriding local roads so I'm assuming that the local road supersedes what's in the region.

I use carrate 0 all the time on some roads I've reskinned to prevent traffic on them such as dirt roads, and YARN roads I use as concrete industrial areas that I bury the track into.

I've cloned a bunch of roads and added the carrate and traffic-speed settings. Fairly easy to do if you don't mind cloning, renaming, and editing a few of roads. I really like the speed thingy where I can have cars moving slowly in town and then speeding along on the country roads or slowing down for RR crossings. Makes the map just a little more realistic.

I've never had an issue with the region overriding local roads so I'm assuming that the local road supersedes what's in the region.

I use carrate 0 all the time on some roads I've reskinned to prevent traffic on them such as dirt roads, and YARN roads I use as concrete industrial areas that I bury the track into.

Looks like a bottom up flow, from roads, to region, to route, and regions and routes cant interfere with roads.

Code:
carrate    4                      ..............an integer 3 to 50 in value to control
                                                the delay between cars being spawned
                                                (smaller value means more carz)

And per Wiki - The game waits between 1 and 3 times this value (in seconds) between generating traffic on this road. With that range it would be hard to generate significant traffic.

So 'carrate' 0 results in no carz, 'carrate' 3 to 50 is generation rate, that leaves 'carrate' 1 and 2 as undefined? Anyone?

Great article, thank you for that. The OP asked how to add more traffic, your Wiki does not address the question. The Wiki I linked to shows basically how to build on what you show in the Region, and in the Route config.txt how to regulate it.

Thanks for the feed back. I have just spent a fair bit of time searching through the official (i.e. N3V created) wiki pages on this issue and ... can conclude that information on the issue is very difficult to find. This was the main reason why I decided to create all those wiki pages over the last few years.

The best search result I was able to find was at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/CCG/Region which identifies the car tag and defines it as being from car0 to car15 which gives a maximum of 16 different cars. Although one non-N3V created wiki page states that you can have as many car tags as you want - something that my experiments when I created the "How to Create a Region Asset" wiki page did not support. But I add that my experiments were within the region asset itself, not inside other assets.

A common error creators make when using the car tag is to accidentally duplicate the trailing digits or leave gaps in the numerical sequences - mistakes I have made myself.

My researches on the carrate tag agree with yours. The value must be 0 or 3 to 50. Why the ban on 1 and 2? Unknown.

So it seems that you can have as many carz as you want OR up to 16, whichever comes first. You can also control the rate at which they are spawned on roads. But not all roads are configured to support carz.

I use a carrate of 1 on some of maddie25's yarn roads with no problems. At that number (1) I get the most traffic and if I want more I just add another road to the already existing road. Of course I hide all that area with trees or buildings. I'm using the 1980's USA Plus asset.

Is it possible that YARN road assets work differently to the normal built in roads? I don't use YARN so I have no idea. If YARN uses its own scripting then the rules will probably be different.

Is it possible that YARN road assets work differently to the normal built in roads? I don't use YARN so I have no idea. If YARN uses its own scripting then the rules will probably be different.

I use them all the time. The only different thing about them is their thickness. Unlike other roads of that era, they're made with some depth to them so they don't float on the surface like pieces of thin cardstock.

Is the carrate tag now obsolete?

Is the carrate tag now obsolete?

I was experimenting with adding the carrate tag to the config.txt file of a route. I was able to edit the file and submit the edit but when I started Driver/Surveyor the route was shown with the red "!" faulty symbol on the thumbnail. This revealed the error message

; <kuid2:45176:100126:1> : Validating <kuid2:45176:100126:1>
- <kuid2:45176:100126:1> : VE44: Tag 'carrate' in the container 'map' is obsolete.

This is in TRS19 SP3 (beta) build 111951.

I use carrate 0 all the time on some roads. 1 to 3 will give you plenty of cars. RJArtim

Thats

Last edited:
Try changing the carrate to 1 in the config on whatever road you are using. I mostly use The Yarn or Yarnish roads and have speeds of 30, 55, and 65mph. Works for me.

From my post in another thread.

In later TRS19 SP3 beta builds (after 110491) the "carrate" tag will produce an error message and faulty routes so it looks like it is on its way out.

In my case I was experimenting with using road traffic to see the issues that were being reported, particularly in relation to the region asset. I don't use YARN and Yarnish roads and in my current project none my roads allow traffic. I have never really been impressed by the "road traffic thing".

I have raised a ticket with the HelpDesk to see if they can clarify things as there seems to be a conflict between the official documentation from N3V states (maximum of 15 different moving cars) and what some creators are claiming (100 different moving cars in a route). It could simply be that the documentation needs to be updated.

I was experimenting with adding the carrate tag to the config.txt file of the route to see if it would produce more. I was able to edit the file and submit the edit but when I started Driver/Surveyor the route was shown with the red "!" faulty symbol on the thumbnail. This revealed the error message

; <kuid2:45176:100126:1> : Validating <kuid2:45176:100126:1>
- <kuid2:45176:100126:1> : VE44: Tag 'carrate' in the container 'map' is obsolete..

I have just got a report back from QA on the "carrate" tag. It seems that the tag is not obsolete and should not be producing this error message. They are looking into it.

Back