ProTrainz returns?

Leverettrailfan

While I was exploring the 'world wide web', I ended up happening upon a link to ProTrainz- which I thought was a thing of the past, the last few times I'd tried visiting the site- I assumed the only way to visit was via the 'wayback machine', but apparently no- Protrainz.com seems to be alive again, and at the very least, has offered promise of all former payware becoming available as freeware, and available to download from ProTrainz! I can't quite figure out exactly when ProTrainz came back online, but it couldn't have been more than maybe 3-4 months ago.

I'm hopeful that this means the "notorious" ProTrainz NYCTA R40S subway car may be put up for download in the near future- also very curious about the NYCTA R1!
A quick search didn't bring up any threads here, on ProTrainz coming back online- so I figured maybe I should start one! Hopefully this was a wise move to make :D

-Ellie

Well. The creator ProTrainz, states it all pretty clearly on the main page, LOL. No mystery here.

The update to the site was in June 2020

Main Page

"ProTrainz Returns!

Protrainz returns!
What a long, strange trip it's been! Bulletin board got hacked, cart software got hacked (thankfully, no user data was kept on-system), my hosting company decided to hold my websites hostage for 3 years because I refused to renew hosting for a 3 year period, they finally gave me back my data years later, only to delete it again later... Managed to get it restored, but they refused to set up the databases again, so nothing worked.

r12.jpg

Meanwhile, Trainz evolved, sorta. I'm still not clear on what's required these days for content creation, or what of my old stuff is still viable, or who's still around. Most of my old, pre-payware era stuff is of dubious quality, but I have some decent items which weren't released to the general public which I wouldn't mind seeing the light of day, if anyone was still interested. I'm not sure at the moment where any of this is headed, except I want to at least get the site back up and running. Everything here is still evolving. Not sure if this software will suit my needs (heck, I'm not even sure what those needs are). I don't need a full-fledged bulletin board, just a place to post the occasional messages, maybe maintain a dialog or two, make some items available for download, and maybe (or maybe not) see if there's anything new that needs made. Life keeps me fairly busy these days. Raising my daughter on my own, relocating (with another potentially coming when she graduates High School), spending a lot of time on physical O-scale modeling, working a dead-end job to pay the bills...
Hopefully over the next few months I can solidify what my expectations are for ProTrainz, and if anybody happens to drop by, feel free to come along for the ride!"

On the "About Us" page

Screen_046f.jpg
ProTrainz has been one of the premier content creators for Trainz. With almost 400 items available from the Download Station, and many others which were available only to our own members or as payware, our items have been downloaded from the official Trainz site 15,129,067 times!
Our content has been included with official releases of Trainz, and we were an official Trainz Developer for several releases. Trainz changed ownership, we took a not so brief hiatus, and now we're surveying the scene to see if a re-entry into the mark
et is feasible at this time

What is available in the downloads section, yes, all freeware now.

Hosted contributors Locos

AC440W Genesis Pack

CEFX,BNSF, CNW, CP, CSX, KCS, NS,SP, UP AC4400cw

Former Payware

Panama Limited f& Passenger set

Lightweight Broadway Limited set

20th Century Limited set

CNW Bi_level Commuter Pack

PRR MP54 Car and Trailer set

DL&W MU Cars and Trailer set

LIRR MP54 MU Cars

Sp Black Widow Trainmaster - Black Widow Livery

Amtrak Pack

Rico

Last edited:
Just the name ProTrainz hits me with a wave of nostalgia. I will have to check this out. Thanks for the info.

Matt

Well. The creator ProTrainz, states it all pretty clearly on the main page, LOL. No mystery here.

The update to the site was in June 2020

Thanks for clearing that up!
I wasn't positive- while the site is back online, it didn't look like much had happened recently- so I wasn't positive about anything. Nice to know exactly when this happened!

Thanks for clearing that up!
I wasn't positive- while the site is back online, it didn't look like much had happened recently- so I wasn't positive about anything. Nice to know exactly when this happened!

You're welcome.

I didn't see anything about the Subway car(s) specifically, but I'm sure ProTrainz can answer that if you pose the question on his forum :)

Rico

Yeah I visited that site a couple times recently, made me wonder about the R40. Not only because I want it, but also to make clones of it and convert them into R40 (with gates), R40M and R42. I will make them from different eras (1968 - 2009). Hopefully, once I finish learning Blender, I will make a video about the R42 Farewell Retirement Run on the (A) line in TRS19. They will be on DLS by 2022 - 2023... keep an eye out for them!

I just visited the site and and downloaded the former payware Amtrak pack and Broadway Limited packs. There were a few cars from the Broadway Limited that didn't have errors and I could easily fix some of the Amtrak stuff (mostly Amfleets and the F40PHs) in TANE, but at least I'm happy that I got the Amtrak F40PH Phase IV (& got it working). That reminds me of an old Marias Pass screenshot of that same engine I saw on the HP Trainz website back in the late 2000s (it's still on Wayback Machine) and I thought it was a private reskin.

I didn't expect it, but thank you for coming back with all this stuff! :)

Last edited:
Back