Unable to add Navigation Display!!

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
TRS19 SP 1 Build 105096.

As the title says.... therefore unable to create ANY sessions!!!! I have created a base session in Healesville for slightly more modern times 1940-60s by adding roads. Then copied that to make an actual session and can add anything (I think) in edit session but CAN NOT add 'Navigation Display'. I did a DBR and tried the Cornish route, same problem, and also Canadian Rockies route. Now trying an EDBR.

What gives, and has anyone ever come across something so weird and game breaking?????

(Then there's my signature that links to a non-existent page because it drops the "S" after alikiwi, despite having it spelt correctly in my profile...)

Signature glitch is the easy one to fix - simply delete your current signature to remove the incorrect hyperlink, exit and save the change to your profile, then add it again afresh. Fixed!
Recommend Copy/Paste the working URL this time around. (https://alikiwistrainzaddons.com.au/ )

Last edited:
Sadly that didn't work for the signature either! If I copy what's in the signature and paste, it works fine. But click on it via a post and it doesn't work. Totally weird, bit like not being able to create a session. I even rebooted the pc, and I still can't add Nav Display to any session :-(

Did you save the changes to apply it before exiting the profile, Signature edit... page? I can still see that the incorrect URL is present in your signature when I hover over it...
Edit Update: I just added the URL for one of my websites. I pasted the correct URL into the LINK icon on the toolbar above the Signature edit... pane, then clicked on 'Save signature' after previewing it.
The Link icon adds the requisite HTML tags to your hyperlink.
That worked, whereas simply typing it into the edit pane showed the URL string, but it was not set up as a hyperlink.
p.s. My current version of Navigation Display is: <kuid2:401543:1161:5> Navigation Display (I'm using the latest beta version, Build 111831).

Last edited:
hi Alikiwi,
if you do a search in Content manager for "Navigation Display"
then right click "List Asset Versions", which one you use?

Here in build 100240 I use <kuid2:401543:1161:1> Navigation Display, which shows as base content and works for me
there are at least 4 newer version, for some unknown reason.
try the version that says "base" first.
greetings GM

test (just s added)
https://alikiwistrainzaddons.com.au/

Last edited:
HI PC_Ace, yes I saved and even exited then logged back in. Hovering over it shows me nothing! Yes, I pasted the link in, never typed it in manually, shouldn't be this hard. I'm about to try something else (suggested). Stand by...
Hopeless! Nothing works. I don't know why it doesn't work, what I put in my signature is correct and should lead to my website.

As for the Navigation Display, I may delete Build 4.6 and force it to use the :3 Build 3.6 version. But this doesn't explain why it has suddenly become faulty.

Last edited:
But did you paste the copied URL into the LINK icon as shown here? (Then Save Signature...)?

tag.jpg

Suggest delete your current signature - save (the empty signature), then exit your browser.
Go to the front page (Index page) of your website. Copy the address to the clipboard, including the https:// protocol.
Should look like this: https://alikiwistrainzaddons.com.au/
Open up the Trainz forums and visit your account profile via the Private Messages hyperlink on the menu above.
Select 'Edit Signature' from the My Settings menu on the left.
The text insertion field should now be blank following your removal of the old signature.
Locate the LINK icon in the tool bars and click on it.
PASTE the correct URL into the Link field. (It will change the http:// to https:// for you automatically). Click OK
View the result in the main editor field below. It should now show as a hyperlink and have an 's' in alikiwistrainzaddons.
Save the Signature then exit your My Settings profile and head back here.
Hover your mouse over your signature to see the now-corrected link in the browser link preview (bottom left corner in most browser windows).
Click the link in your signature to head straight to your website. :)
Done!

Last edited:
Too tired to try yet another way of doing the signature, seriously how many blooming ways are there? Back to the REAL issue, the navigation display is broken in EVERY SESSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am using version :4 ie <kuid2:401543:1161:4> Navigation Display. As it is built in there is no way to use an older version. Helpdesk/Zec refer to a version :5 but my CM shows no such version.

Let me repeat that, EVERY SESSION IS BROKEN. All session including payware, at Navigation Display now have in RED "Error: Rule load failure (Navigation Display)." If N3V haven't changed it, I can only assume some item I've uploaded (maybe a payware item) has somehow broken this, yet that seems rather doubtful.

PS: Decided to have one more try at the signature. That method PC_Ace, actually worked, thanks. (It's only after midnight here).

Last edited:
And take note I solved the Navigation Display problem. I deleted the COAL COUNTRY ROUTE!!!! I only installed that 2 days ago, so I won't be installing it again. I suspect its for SP2 and isn't compatible with SP1.

Yeah the Nav Display rule was broken when N3V first released it with the new TRS19 version of Midwestern Branch, then they reverted back to the TANE version until they fixed it. The current released is stable since it uses <kuid2:401543:1161:5> Navigation Display that's currently part of SP2
I see they didn't fix it for the CC route.

Cheers

I got told they don't do much support for "older" versions of the game and that I should update! Er, I thought TRS19 was the CURRENT version of the game and SP stood for service pack which is supposed to fix, not constantly break the game. No way in haileys am I updating knowing full well it will break a heap of stuff, and let's face it I do have a huge heap.... I do have a separate install on an external HD of SP2 but I'm not using it except to check, and if needs be upload something to the DLC.

Anything I create for TRS19 will be in SP1, never SP2 so that everyone who has TRS19, regardless of version can use it, especially routes and sessions. By the way, I've now had 3 cups of tea today, so I should be on a roll, you just can't survive without it. :hehe:

I got told they don't do much support for "older" versions of the game and that I should update! Er, I thought TRS19 was the CURRENT version of the game and SP stood for service pack which is supposed to fix, not constantly break the game. No way in haileys am I updating knowing full well it will break a heap of stuff, and let's face it I do have a huge heap.... I do have a separate install on an external HD of SP2 but I'm not using it except to check, and if needs be upload something to the DLC.

Just to clarify. TRS19 SP2 is the latest release of TRS19, and is available for free to all owners of TRS19 (and all TrainzPlus and Gold Membership subscribers).

We don't actively provide technical support for older service packs (ie releases of TRS19), except for assistance with patching/updating of the older service packs, or with activation. The reason for this is that each service pack/update has many bug fixes, changes, updates, etc in them, and many of the issues we see reported with older updates are fixed in the new updates.

So if you want the fix, you have to install the update. If you don't, then you have to live with the bug/issue.

In this case, the Coal Country route was released when we were preparing for TRS19 SP2's release, and was packaged and tested in the TRS19 Platinum/TrainzPlus release, and as such included an updated version of the Navigation Display rule in it. It's unfortunately not been possible to remove this, and to allow players to also access the route in TRS19 SP1 (albeit with some bugs, fixed by SP2, in the sessions) the DLC pack is still available.

Anything I create for TRS19 will be in SP1, never SP2 so that everyone who has TRS19, regardless of version can use it, especially routes and sessions. By the way, I've now had 3 cups of tea today, so I should be on a roll, you just can't survive without it.

As with all software, it is generally recommended to have the latest patches installed, so as to have access to the latest updates. If you choose not to use the latest update, then you do need to understand that others may use your work in the newer update and expect assistance if it doesn't work. Additionally, it needs to be remembered that any bugs/issues you may experience will not be supported, as many of those issues are improved or fixed in the updates you are specifically avoiding.

We do understand that there are some issues with track in SP2. These will be fixed in the SP3 update (so if you want to ensure that your track is working correctly for everyone, you would need to test/fix in SP3 at this stage), however this does not change the fact that we do not actively provide technical support for older service packs. And this has been the case for as long as I've been involved with the helpdesk, and actually for as long as I remember before that as well.

Regards

The customer that fears the probability of a regressive NEW BUG in a release is no longer a supportable customer. So you are "encouraged" to always use the latest updated release lest you loose support. If the "latest" releases were guaranteed to not have NEW bugs, created by the "latest update", then this is a viable approach. Of course, no software company can offer that guarantee. Therefore, N3V should always provide support for ONE GENERATION BEHIND the latest release. Then those that feel they have to fall back to the previous release will not be left without support.

After many years updating operating system level software I have had my share of embarrassing mistakes with updates. I dreaded them as much as the poor customer. So, at the least, provide one prior release level of support with each release.

Therefore, N3V should always provide support for ONE GENERATION BEHIND the latest release. Then those that feel they have to fall back to the previous release will not be left without support.

Having been doing the helpdesk for over 10 years now, I can say this with sincere honesty. We try to help no matter what, but there are limitations on how much help I can give when you won't install the latest update. Especially when we know that the reported bug is fixed in the newer update...

Quite literally, the issue is fixed by installing the update. That is the support I can give for the issue, to fix the issue. Install the update.

But in this case we are being asked to fix it, without needing to install the update that fixes it. We're in a no-win situation, as any support I provide will simply, at this point, be to install the free update which fixes the issue with this DLC pack. Which is now being complained about (ie you are refusing to install the update, but also want the bug fixed, but don't want to install the fix).

Regards

Back