Best nVidia 3000 series graphics card?

local prices in florida are as followed, used or new, the 3090 is 3500.00, 3080 is 2200.00 to 2600.00, the 3070 is 1500.00 the 3060 and 3060ti is 1200.00 to 1400.00. i was currently using a amd 5700xt that i paid 420.00 mrsp this past november, today the price is 1,000 or more. the 6900xt is 2500.00, the 6800xt is 1700.00, the new 6700xt is 1200.00.
Even the 20 series nvidia cards are extremely high. i ended up trading my 5700xt for a 2080 super along with a 10600k i didn't need anymore. the guy had a room full of videocards he was trying to scalp on craigslist in tampa. i had a 40 percent gain from the 5700xt to the 2080 super in most games. the guy was trying to get me to trade my 5700xt with 800 bucks just for a 3070, i decided to wait and just keep the 2080 super until at least next year hoping prices drop. when they do drop, i hope they drop like a rock, so the scalpers gets whats coming to them. i truly don't believe the shortage is as bad as it shows to be. nvidia has already said they made 5 billion more during the so called shortage than selling at msrp. hopefully this will end soon. i always upgrade every other generation, so maybe the 4000 series will come out at the end of the year.

I have to agree that the 2060 series is pretty good - I'm able to run at 30-60 FPS (nVidia control panel set to limit to 80fps).
Given that I paid about £300 for the 2060, $3500 (NZ) is rather steep for the 3060 series.

Colin

ColPrice2002 - Nah, that's the going price for an upper-end RTX-3090 here in Wellington - Big brand 3060s are around NZ$800 to NZ$1000. (i.e. Approx. UK406 pounds to £508)
Still, you can walk into a store and actually walk away with one if you're prepared to pay the ransom.
Looking at the Florida USA prices posted by Nugget2225 above for 3090s (US$3500), I don't think we're doing too badly! That's w-a-y above the MRSP. :(
Here are the average prices in US dollars for GPUs sold on eBay this week according to Tom's Hardware: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gpu-pricing-index

Last edited:
Discovered my GTX1650 had burned out this morning, temporarily back on my old GTX1050 which luckily still works after 11 months in the garage.

I must have been living under a rock as the first I knew about GPU shortage and crypto mining was when I tried looing for a replacement! Still can't work out how a GPU assists in finding a quick Bitcoin deal online but obviously it does.

As the failed card is only 11 months old and technically in warranty I have asked the seller about RMA and replacement, assuming they have any in stock of course!

Just had a look at Ebuyer they only have GT1030 and 710s everything else is still labelled "Coming Soon" as it has been for a couple of months now.

Luckily the vendor has accepted the RMA so will be interesting to see what I get back as a replacement (hopefully a GTX1660 or maybe a Super!).

Last fall I decided to buy a new system which would future proof it for a while. I wanted a NVIDIA 3090,but as others have pointed out they were not available.

so I took another route. I saw where Alienware computers by Dell in fact had a great desktop with a water cooled 3090. I ordered one and it arrived a week later. This computer runs TRAINZ like a champ with all sliders maxed out.

The interesting thing is that for most of the routes I run using SP3 the GPU utilization is 50% or less with the CPU running about 35%. I have read some posts where people expressed concerns about the temperatures with the Alienware computers. Again in my case the GPU temperature runs between 60 and 65 degrees centigrade. I have occasionally seen a spike at 70 degrees. This is in a room with ambient temperature averaging 78 degrees.

I am happy with my purchase and feel like I will get a good 5 to 7 years service out of this computer. The 3090 is everything it is cracked up to be.

Actually we measure room temperature in Fahrenheit, technical stuff in centigrade if we must. ;)

We do have air conditioning however it is too early to turn it on

I wouldn't rush in to it Dino! As you are no doubt aware, most gpu's have a life expectancy of 5 years. I know several people with these cards when I was working on virtual reality concepts in UE4, and have heard it pretty much said that the life expectancy of the 3000 series is around 3 years (if put under enough pressure to run the latest games at 60fps or better). Asus has come out with a liquid cooled version which could likely last a bit longer, there's no way I'd fork out almost 4K for one.

I was talking to the guy at a local PC store today who built my Grandsons new PC just before Christmas
Told him I was looking to build a new PC and if he had parts and he said they don't expect to see any improvement in getting PC parts etc (GPU's) for another 12 months
He said if anyone advertising gaming builds has GPU's but are making you buy a complete system to get one and they only have limited numbers .

I would say that the best NVidia 3000 series graphics cards are ones we can't afford. I saw one advertised for $4,000!

Every day, I open up my PC and kiss and hug my GTX1080TI. (Just kidding). The old faithful gal has kept me up and running and will remain so until the time comes that need to replace the motherboard whenever that is.

The problem is now even prebuilt machines are getting absurdly expensive. I've been looking to replace a failing All-in-one PC I use for sheet music. There's nothing special about the system other than it's a thin tablet device and is touch screen and even those devices are getting scoffed up and the prices are skyrocketing there as well.

Can't wait for the upcoming 3080 and 3070 ti's to be released so we can have more GPU's to wistfully pine for.

Need help selecting right kind of NVidia GPU Card for New Laptop purchase??

Good evening Folks,

Unfortunately for me, my 2 yr old Laptop is starting to experience Crash to Desktop all of sudden......Now I just has a Microsoft update for Windows this Month, nothing else has changed, so I don't know if it is Windows update issue.......???

Running Win 10 Home Edition

I am getting Exception Errors and then Windows Screen telling me they gathering information it tries to reboot, but freezes, then I do a hard Power reboot to clear my system.......This started happening q week ago, it once a day, now today, at end of this week, it was 4 times......So something is not quite Right....I also have my suspicions it could be SSD Drives acting up too.....I have 2 of them, and at other times when I reboot, I get Memory errors shown when I shutdown windows which makes me also wonder if I have a problem with one or both of my Ram Memory.........

With that said, I am shopping for a new 17" Laptop either Lenovo or ASUS Strix ROG (one I have now is ROG) so I'm getting a plan "B" in place just in case everything goes south.....( Have backup's on Cloud) and External Hard Drive too.....So my bases are covered there for Trainz Etc.

Where I need help is Laptop with NVidia GPU options, with these 2 models of GPU, Would like your thoughts......;)

And finally these 2 are 6 Gig VRAM, which probably is Laptop Battery killer.....:'(

My "ASUS Rog" has "NVidia GTX 1050 Ti" with 4 Gig VRam and I get buy fine with it.......

Should also add, and I confirmed this, that my GPU is soldered into the Mother Board, and I was told by a Tech about a year ago, there are a few Laptops that have GPU that are not Soldered in, and changeable, I never found out if that was true or not........??? :sleep: Like to know if anyone has one a Laptop with this Option ?

I would appreciate the Brain Trust raw feeling here if I should even look at these 6 VRam GPU's or keep to 4 Ram GPU.....I only want a NVidia, I think they are the best for my needs.........
==============================================================================================================

Below is comparison of the Cards to help

We've built dozens of PC rigs and have tested countless NVIDIA GPU's, so we know what's what when it comes to specifications and how much value each card offers. Rich Edmonds

1 Mar 2019
Next-gen gaming

NVIDIA RTX 2060

Budget Turing

GTX 1660 Ti

If you can stretch your budget an extra $100 or can wait for an additional month to save, the RTX 2060 is simply the better choice. For around the same amount of money, you get a far more powerful GPU with ray tracing, DLSS, and other handy features.

$370 at Amazon
Pros

• Good value
  • Ray tracing and DLSS
  • Better cooling options
  • More ports

Cons

• Not many games support ray tracing yet

The GTX 1660 Ti is the really the only viable option if you simply can't afford the RTX 2060 and need a GPU right now. It's a good budget card that comes with some Turing advantages, but you won't be able to enjoy ray tracing or DLSS tech.

$280 at Amazon

• Good upgrade from 9-series
  • Turing architecture
  • Budget-friendly price

• Worse cooling solutions
  • No ray tracing or DLSS
  • Fewer Display Ports

If you're on a tight budget and need a capable GPU right now, you'll find the GTX 1060 Ti offers a fair amount of bang for your buck. However, if you can stretch your budget to cover the RTX 2060 and need a GPU for 1440p gaming, you should do so.

Last edited:
Good evening Folks,

Unfortunately for me, my 2 yr old Laptop is starting to experience Crash to Desktop all of sudden......Now I just has a Microsoft update for Windows this Month, nothing else has changed, so I don't know if it is Windows update issue.......???

Running Win 10 Home Edition

I am getting Exception Errors and then Windows Screen telling me they gathering information it tries to reboot, but freezes, then I do a hard Power reboot to clear my system.......This started happening q week ago, it once a day, now today, at end of this week, it was 4 times......So something is not quite Right....I also have my suspicions it could be SSD Drives acting up too.....I have 2 of them, and at other times when I reboot, I get Memory errors shown when I shutdown windows which makes me also wonder if I have a problem with one or both of my Ram Memory.........

With that said, I am shopping for a new 17" Laptop either Lenovo or ASUS Strix ROG (one I have now is ROG) so I'm getting a plan "B" in place just in case everything goes south.....( Have backup's on Cloud) and External Hard Drive too.....So my bases are covered there for Trainz Etc.

Where I need help is Laptop with NVidia GPU options, with these 2 models of GPU, Would like your thoughts......;)

And finally these 2 are 6 Gig VRAM, which probably is Laptop Battery killer.....:'(

My "ASUS Rog" has "NVidia GTX 1050 Ti" with 4 Gig VRam and I get buy fine with it.......

Should also add, and I confirmed this, that my GPU is soldered into the Mother Board, and I was told by a Tech about a year ago, there are a few Laptops that have GPU that are not Soldered in, and changeable, I never found out if that was true or not........??? :sleep: Like to know if anyone has one a Laptop with this Option ?

I would appreciate the Brain Trust raw feeling here if I should even look at these 6 VRam GPU's or keep to 4 Ram GPU.....I only want a NVidia, I think they are the best for my needs.........
==============================================================================================================

Below is comparison of the Cards to help

We've built dozens of PC rigs and have tested countless NVIDIA GPU's, so we know what's what when it comes to specifications and how much value each card offers. Rich Edmonds

1 Mar 2019
Next-gen gaming

NVIDIA RTX 2060

Budget Turing

GTX 1660 Ti

If you can stretch your budget an extra $100 or can wait for an additional month to save, the RTX 2060 is simply the better choice. For around the same amount of money, you get a far more powerful GPU with ray tracing, DLSS, and other handy features.

$370 at Amazon
Pros

• Good value
  • Ray tracing and DLSS
  • Better cooling options
  • More ports

Cons

• Not many games support ray tracing yet

The GTX 1660 Ti is the really the only viable option if you simply can't afford the RTX 2060 and need a GPU right now. It's a good budget card that comes with some Turing advantages, but you won't be able to enjoy ray tracing or DLSS tech.

$280 at Amazon

• Good upgrade from 9-series
  • Turing architecture
  • Budget-friendly price

• Worse cooling solutions
  • No ray tracing or DLSS
  • Fewer Display Ports

If you're on a tight budget and need a capable GPU right now, you'll find the GTX 1060 Ti offers a fair amount of bang for your buck. However, if you can stretch your budget to cover the RTX 2060 and need a GPU for 1440p gaming, you should do so.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php traditionally a score of 10,000 is reasonable or Trainz although more is better. A lot depends on content, for example a score of 350 will run Middleton for laptops.

Cheerio John

There's hope on the horizon.

China cracked down on the Bitcoin investors and NVIDIA is putting some code into the newer 3000-series video cards that will force them to run a half-speed if the card is used for mining.

Hopefully with these two factors, the prices of video cards will start coming down to reasonable levels again along with the other PC components once production is ramped up again.

Back