Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best nVidia 3000 series graphics card?

Actually we measure room temperature in Fahrenheit, technical stuff in centigrade if we must.

We do have air conditioning however it is too early to turn it on

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Bert View Post
    Actually we measure room temperature in Fahrenheit, technical stuff in centigrade if we must.
    Oh, that makes sense
    3DS Max 2009/2012. T:ANE SP4 (105946) & TRS19 SP2 (110491).
    Win10, i7 5820K, 3.3GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti 6GB vram, 2x512GB SSD.

TIPswich, Qld, the garbage state of Australia

I wouldn't rush in to it Dino! As you are no doubt aware, most gpu's have a life expectancy of 5 years. I know several people with these cards when I was working on virtual reality concepts in UE4, and have heard it pretty much said that the life expectancy of the 3000 series is around 3 years (if put under enough pressure to run the latest games at 60fps or better). Asus has come out with a liquid cooled version which could likely last a bit longer, there's no way I'd fork out almost 4K for one.

I was talking to the guy at a local PC store today who built my Grandsons new PC just before Christmas
    Told him I was looking to build a new PC and if he had parts and he said they don't expect to see any improvement in getting PC parts etc (GPU's) for another 12 months
    He said if anyone advertising gaming builds has GPU's but are making you buy a complete system to get one and they only have limited numbers .
    CFI A1120 Pharaoh Evo
    Intel Core I7 8700k
    Win10 64bit
    ASRock Fatility Z370 Gaming K6
    Nvidia GTX 1080ti 32gb 3200

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

I would say that the best NVidia 3000 series graphics cards are ones we can't afford. I saw one advertised for $4,000!

Every day, I open up my PC and kiss and hug my GTX1080TI. (Just kidding). The old faithful gal has kept me up and running and will remain so until the time comes that need to replace the motherboard whenever that is.

The problem is now even prebuilt machines are getting absurdly expensive. I've been looking to replace a failing All-in-one PC I use for sheet music. There's nothing special about the system other than it's a thin tablet device and is touch screen and even those devices are getting scoffed up and the prices are skyrocketing there as well.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

Blog Entries

Can't wait for the upcoming 3080 and 3070 ti's to be released so we can have more GPU's to wistfully pine for.
    i5 8600k 4.4 GHZ-ASUS ROG STRIX Z370E-MSI GTX 1070ti
    16GB DDR4 2666-Samsung EVO 850 1TB SSD
    US Army 1978-84

Question Need help selecting right kind of NVidia GPU Card for New Laptop purchase??

Good evening Folks,

Unfortunately for me, my 2 yr old Laptop is starting to experience Crash to Desktop all of sudden......Now I just has a Microsoft update for Windows this Month, nothing else has changed, so I don't know if it is Windows update issue.......???

Running Win 10 Home Edition

I am getting Exception Errors and then Windows Screen telling me they gathering information it tries to reboot, but freezes, then I do a hard Power reboot to clear my system.......This started happening q week ago, it once a day, now today, at end of this week, it was 4 times......So something is not quite Right....I also have my suspicions it could be SSD Drives acting up too.....I have 2 of them, and at other times when I reboot, I get Memory errors shown when I shutdown windows which makes me also wonder if I have a problem with one or both of my Ram Memory.........

With that said, I am shopping for a new 17" Laptop either Lenovo or ASUS Strix ROG (one I have now is ROG) so I'm getting a plan "B" in place just in case everything goes south.....( Have backup's on Cloud) and External Hard Drive too.....So my bases are covered there for Trainz Etc.

Where I need help is Laptop with NVidia GPU options, with these 2 models of GPU, Would like your thoughts......

And finally these 2 are 6 Gig VRAM, which probably is Laptop Battery killer.....

My "ASUS Rog" has "NVidia GTX 1050 Ti" with 4 Gig VRam and I get buy fine with it.......

Should also add, and I confirmed this, that my GPU is soldered into the Mother Board, and I was told by a Tech about a year ago, there are a few Laptops that have GPU that are not Soldered in, and changeable, I never found out if that was true or not........??? Like to know if anyone has one a Laptop with this Option ?

I would appreciate the Brain Trust raw feeling here if I should even look at these 6 VRam GPU's or keep to 4 Ram GPU.....I only want a NVidia, I think they are the best for my needs.........
    ================================================== ================================================== ==========

Below is comparison of the Cards to help

We've built dozens of PC rigs and have tested countless NVIDIA GPU's, so we know what's what when it comes to specifications and how much value each card offers. Rich Edmonds

1 Mar 2019
    Next-gen gaming

NVIDIA RTX 2060

Budget Turing

GTX 1660 Ti

If you can stretch your budget an extra $100 or can wait for an additional month to save, the RTX 2060 is simply the better choice. For around the same amount of money, you get a far more powerful GPU with ray tracing, DLSS, and other handy features.

$370 at Amazon
    Pros

• Good value
    • Ray tracing and DLSS
    • Better cooling options
    • More ports

Cons

• Not many games support ray tracing yet

The GTX 1660 Ti is the really the only viable option if you simply can't afford the RTX 2060 and need a GPU right now. It's a good budget card that comes with some Turing advantages, but you won't be able to enjoy ray tracing or DLSS tech.

$280 at Amazon

• Good upgrade from 9-series
    • Turing architecture
    • Budget-friendly price

• Worse cooling solutions
    • No ray tracing or DLSS
    • Fewer Display Ports

If you're on a tight budget and need a capable GPU right now, you'll find the GTX 1060 Ti offers a fair amount of bang for your buck. However, if you can stretch your budget to cover the RTX 2060 and need a GPU for 1440p gaming, you should do so.
    Last edited by blueodessey; May 24th, 2021 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueodessey View Post
    Good evening Folks,

Unfortunately for me, my 2 yr old Laptop is starting to experience Crash to Desktop all of sudden......Now I just has a Microsoft update for Windows this Month, nothing else has changed, so I don't know if it is Windows update issue.......???

Running Win 10 Home Edition

I am getting Exception Errors and then Windows Screen telling me they gathering information it tries to reboot, but freezes, then I do a hard Power reboot to clear my system.......This started happening q week ago, it once a day, now today, at end of this week, it was 4 times......So something is not quite Right....I also have my suspicions it could be SSD Drives acting up too.....I have 2 of them, and at other times when I reboot, I get Memory errors shown when I shutdown windows which makes me also wonder if I have a problem with one or both of my Ram Memory.........

With that said, I am shopping for a new 17" Laptop either Lenovo or ASUS Strix ROG (one I have now is ROG) so I'm getting a plan "B" in place just in case everything goes south.....( Have backup's on Cloud) and External Hard Drive too.....So my bases are covered there for Trainz Etc.

Where I need help is Laptop with NVidia GPU options, with these 2 models of GPU, Would like your thoughts......

And finally these 2 are 6 Gig VRAM, which probably is Laptop Battery killer.....

My "ASUS Rog" has "NVidia GTX 1050 Ti" with 4 Gig VRam and I get buy fine with it.......

Should also add, and I confirmed this, that my GPU is soldered into the Mother Board, and I was told by a Tech about a year ago, there are a few Laptops that have GPU that are not Soldered in, and changeable, I never found out if that was true or not........??? Like to know if anyone has one a Laptop with this Option ?

I would appreciate the Brain Trust raw feeling here if I should even look at these 6 VRam GPU's or keep to 4 Ram GPU.....I only want a NVidia, I think they are the best for my needs.........
    ================================================== ================================================== ==========

Below is comparison of the Cards to help

We've built dozens of PC rigs and have tested countless NVIDIA GPU's, so we know what's what when it comes to specifications and how much value each card offers. Rich Edmonds

1 Mar 2019
    Next-gen gaming

NVIDIA RTX 2060

Budget Turing

GTX 1660 Ti

If you can stretch your budget an extra $100 or can wait for an additional month to save, the RTX 2060 is simply the better choice. For around the same amount of money, you get a far more powerful GPU with ray tracing, DLSS, and other handy features.

$370 at Amazon
    Pros

• Good value
    • Ray tracing and DLSS
    • Better cooling options
    • More ports

Cons

• Not many games support ray tracing yet

The GTX 1660 Ti is the really the only viable option if you simply can't afford the RTX 2060 and need a GPU right now. It's a good budget card that comes with some Turing advantages, but you won't be able to enjoy ray tracing or DLSS tech.

$280 at Amazon

• Good upgrade from 9-series
    • Turing architecture
    • Budget-friendly price

• Worse cooling solutions
    • No ray tracing or DLSS
    • Fewer Display Ports

If you're on a tight budget and need a capable GPU right now, you'll find the GTX 1060 Ti offers a fair amount of bang for your buck. However, if you can stretch your budget to cover the RTX 2060 and need a GPU for 1440p gaming, you should do so.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php traditionally a score of 10,000 is reasonable or Trainz although more is better. A lot depends on content, for example a score of 350 will run Middleton for laptops.

Cheerio John

Disregard. Not pertinent to the discussion.
    Last edited by Forester1; May 25th, 2021 at 09:14 AM.
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

There's hope on the horizon.

China cracked down on the Bitcoin investors and NVIDIA is putting some code into the newer 3000-series video cards that will force them to run a half-speed if the card is used for mining.

Hopefully with these two factors, the prices of video cards will start coming down to reasonable levels again along with the other PC components once production is ramped up again.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

I recall hearing that the whole "need a powerful card for mining" wasn't true and was done just to have all the good cards gone.i recall when i got my Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080, i was only about maybe 2 weeks before the bitcoin crisis happen, so my cards price skyrocketed from $300 to $1500-$4000

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldaboy14 View Post
    I recall hearing that the whole "need a powerful card for mining" wasn't true and was done just to have all the good cards gone.i recall when i got my Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080, i was only about maybe 2 weeks before the bitcoin crisis happen, so my cards price skyrocketed from $300 to $1500-$4000
    If you are mining on just one PC a couple of high end cards would probably be better than a GT30, if running dozens / hundreds of cards, it probably is pretty much irrelevant what they are. Whatever, the whole concept of bincoins etc needs to either be subject to taxation or banning, as does excessive use of electricity to run this mining rubbish, which is not environment friendly.
    Malc

Blueodessey, don't upgrade to Windows 10 21H1. It has a huge FPS drop in trainz. If you can, downgrade to 20 H2, By uninstalling it in Update Settings > View update history > Uninstall updates.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dundun92 View Post
    Blueodessey, don't upgrade to Windows 10 21H1. It has a huge FPS drop in trainz. If you can, downgrade to 20 H2, By uninstalling it in Update Settings > View update history > Uninstall updates.

Thank you Sir,,,,will definitely check this out.....

Quote Originally Posted by dundun92 View Post
    That's the first I've heard of this! I have this update ready to download and install. What's your source for this view about impact on Trainz fps?

Paul