Best nVidia 3000 series graphics card?

I used to be familiar with nVidia's naming system, back when a GTX 980Ti was top of range, then they got progressively less powerful as the number went down; 980, 970, 960 etc.

But I think I have lost touch in the last few years. Can someone tell me what the "order of battle" is for their latest products (is that the 3000 series?). This would be for desktop PC use.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Availability of the 30 series cards is ok here in New Zealand - as long as you're prepared to pay the stratospheric "DownUnder Premiums" that afflict these Antipodean Isles.
Performance of the 3060Ti and upwards cards is superb - easily outclassing their 20 and 10 series predecessors.

Last edited:
I take it that the 3090 gives the highest performance and there's no Titanium version of that one (?). What counts as "stratospheric" for such a card, assuming it is available?

Dinorius_Redundicus -
What counts as "stratospheric" for such a card, assuming it is available?

Here's an example of one such RTX 3090 that will ship tomorrow here in Wellington if the ransom is paid: - the EVGA GeForce RTX-3090 FTW3 Ultra Graphics Card with 24Gb GDDR6X (PCIe4)
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGAEVG3095/EVGA-GeForce-RTX-3090-FTW3-Ultra-Graphics-Card-24G

There are many more 30-series cards currently in stock, though each in limited numbers, with no thanks to bitcoin miners and scalpers.
Even translating these to US and Aussie Dollars, you'll see that we are paying a huge retail impost.
Regrettably, it seems there's a worldwide phenomenon of these much-in-demand cards being unavailable at - or below - their Recommended Retail Prices.

The excellent Asus ROG Strix RTX-3070, which comfortably outperforms the RTX-2080 Super, costs roughly twice what I paid for my trusty Asus ROG Strix GTX-1070 8Gb OC a few years back (but it outperforms that card by roughly 2x too...)

Some more indicative prices at these links to a couple of my local suppliers:
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/category/components/video-cards/nvidia-desktop-graphics-cards
https://www.ascent.co.nz/category/v...nementList][Category][0]=Video graphics cards

Availability of the 30 series cards is ok here in New Zealand - as long as you're prepared to pay the stratospheric "DownUnder Premiums" that afflict these Antipodean Isles.
Performance of the 3060Ti and upwards cards is superb - easily outclassing their 20 and 10 series predecessors.

prices for GPUs in general are ridiculous, the 8db RX580 goes about $600 USED and new someone was asking $1300 on ebay. Combo of tariffs that now apply to GPUS ,disrupted supply due to covid and the return of bitcoin mining, which should be outlawed for many reasons IMO !

Dinorius_Redundicus -

Here's an example of one such RTX 3090 that will ship tomorrow here in Wellington if the ransom is paid: - the EVGA GeForce RTX-3090 FTW3 Ultra Graphics Card with 24Gb GDDR6X (PCIe4)
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGAEVG3095/EVGA-GeForce-RTX-3090-FTW3-Ultra-Graphics-Card-24G

There are many more 30-series cards currently in stock, though each in limited numbers, with no thanks to bitcoin miners and scalpers.
Even translating these to US and Aussie Dollars, you'll see that we are paying a huge retail impost.
Regrettably, it seems there's a worldwide phenomenon of these much-in-demand cards being unavailable at - or below - their Recommended Retail Prices.

Whoa..$NZ3,700 for a GPU? I see what you mean...

I guess I have the money for that and the PC that goes with it, but it is indeed ridiculous to spend that much. I'll forget about upgrading anytime soon.

Looks like they don't deliver outside NZ anyway
But look at the delivery on most is not until June
Finding a 30 series card anywhere is like finding rocking horse **** ( impossible )

I'm looking to have a new machine built and the builder is saying about a 10 week turnaround, normally I've had my machines from them within 2 weeks.

Yup - there's a supply-line shortage of many critical components for DIY PC builds resulting from the Covid-19 work-from-home demands and the resurgence of interest in cryptocurrency mining.
The bitcoin bubble will likely burst again before the rise of ASICs provides any relief to the gaming GPU market, but that won't immediately assist gamers from the rapacious economic plundering by scalpers who simply don't care a fig about Railroad Simulators.
Best strategy is to wait it out - and upgrade your video card once the prices return somewhat to normalcy (unless of course, money is no object).
Could be many months yet as the pandemic isn't over for many nations and trade wars, drought and other ominous geopolitical fissures are affecting the supply of rare-earths and many crucial sub-components of computers, electronic devices and autos.

I’m just glad my old GTX 980Ti still performs so well that I can play Red Dead Redemption 2 and the latest Assassin’s Creed (Valhalla) on high settings without any problems. It’s that sort of game, not Trainz, that determines when I upgrade. And modelling in 3DS Max doesn’t need anywhere near that much graphics power, so content creation is not under threat.

I run TRS19 and T:ANE on two different gaming rigs, one with an Asus GTX-1070, and the other an EVGA GTX-1080Ti.
The latest versions of both these simulators (albeit beta versions at present) are the best performing Trainz builds we've ever seen. These cards run them really well with all the eye-candy turned up.
Accordingly, I'm in no hurry to upgrade either machine right now, especially since I want to see where the next generation of performance CPUs will take us/ demand in terms of motherboards, memory and chipsets.

My usual supplier has zero Nvidia RTX 2000, RTX 3000, GTX1600, only has GT710 and GT1030 and no AMD cards of any type. Seems to be the same at all the usual UK suppliers. Think I'm abandoning any upgrades this year my 1080TI and 980TI will have to soldier on while longer.

I'm looking to build a new PC but, as has been said, no suitable components available in UK. Problems could arise if components begin to fail, hopefully not though, currently running at stock settings - strictly no overclocking! I usually go to ARIA PC in Manchester but nothing doing. In the meantime I will trust in my 1060 6gb, if that goes tits up then I have a spare 960 4gb, plus a spare Z97 mobo and 16gb of spare memory to fall back on - good enough for me!

Rob.

I'm waiting it out too and I'll stick with my 1080TI for now. The other reason is I have an older X99 motherboard and I figure there's also going to be a bandwidth issue so why waste the new card on the older machine. By the time I'll upgrade, these stellar cards will be dirt cheap because the NVidia GZX-series cards will be out.

Well, the obvious answer would be a 3090, but a lot of the 30-series are hard to come by right now thanks to scalpers and crypto miners.

I may have to get by with my GTX 1070 for just a little longer - I've been looking to upgrade but thanks to scalpers, miners, and COVID, you can't just walk into Best Buy right now and leave with a good GPU.

Matt

Got ticked off for a few seconds when this popped up in my fb feed yesterday. Stack of 6 3090 Suprims.

rtgCZ5w.png

The craftier retailers here are selling the 30 series *near* retail, but you must buy an entire rig from them.

The craftier retailers here are selling the 30 series *near* retail, but you must buy an entire rig from them.

That sounds like a good deal to me Nicky. If I am getting a RTX 3090, I would probably also need a new rig with more modern motherboard and everything to support it. If I lived in Singapore, it would be viable, but I don't. :(

Looking at the nVidia site, the RTX 2000 series don't appear to be "current".

I do feel for anyone who has a fried GPU in these times (my old GTX 770 gave up early last year - so I was able to replace it with a 2060 at non-ransom prices).
Apparently nVidia are now shipping drivers that are supposed to disable mining, but you can always download an earlier one!

Colin

Back