least we forget Ben Dorsey

yeah this came through today on my email, it only seems like yesterday we were bashing out plans and models for the Uintah, I REALLY missed his contribution and his friendship, although we had totally different backgrounds we got on very well, not just via our love of trains...

I'm grateful to him for making so much content. He was a very nice and generous person for the Trainz community.

Thank you for memory lane with our beloved Ben Dorsey, hard to believe it is 2 yrs now,,,,,,;)

He was,, and always be to me, a Prince of Man, respectful, with a huge heart.....Always there to help out.......Great Assets that stand the test of time.......:)

Think of you Ben always, with the greatest admiration and respect...........:wave:

Hate to necro this thread, but honestly, having interacted with Ben before he sadly passed away, he was easily one of the nicest users here, and he is very much missed.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of Ben when I do a content search for that perfect bridge or industry to fit an area. He really was a true gentleman and truly generous. I happened to mention a bridge I liked and he made it. He did this a couple of times without me asking. I had no intentions of asking him and he took it upon himself to make the bridges. I still use these models today on my routes because even though I didn't have a need for them and I think of him when I pass by those locations. But Ben was more than just the bridge guy. Ben, while known for his bridges and content was quite knowledgeable in other areas. Privately we used to chat about the tech hardware, music and other topics. Like him I too was once an electronics technician and we used to share a lot of war stories on that and our passion for music.

I too miss his enthusiasm, whit, and humor that he managed to work into our conversations either here in to forums or in person.

Last edited:
There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of Ben when I do a content search for that perfect bridge or industry to fit an area. He really was a true gentleman and truly generous. I happened to mention a bridge I liked and he made it. He did this a couple of times without me asking. I had no intentions of asking him and he took it upon himself to make the bridges. I still use these models today on my routes because even though I didn't have a need for them and I think of him when I pass by those locations. But Ben was more than just the bridge guy. Ben, while known for his bridges and content was quite knowledgeable in other areas. Privately we used to chat about the tech hardware, music and other topics. Like him I too was once an electronics technician and we used to share a lot of war stories on that and our passion for music.

I too miss his enthusiasm, whit, and humor that he managed to work into our conversations either here in to forums or in person.

yep used to have long chats about all sorts of stuff, I miss him a great deal.

.....and now , its five years since Ben left us and some of those who commented here on his passing have joined him in the great railway in the sky ( or where ever it is that old railway modelers end up. )
RIP Ben, Euromodeller , ISH and Clam 1952, and any other of prolific members who have left us.

A reminder, if you create content , make express instructions as to what is to happen on the event of your death, so those who remain can use or recreate your creations, don't let all that effort become obsolete or unusable because you didn't like to face the fact that none of us are gonna live forever , act now !

.....and now , its five years since Ben left us and some of those who commented here on his passing have joined him in the great railway in the sky ( or where ever it is that old railway modelers end up. )
RIP Ben, Euromodeller , ISH and Clam 1952, and any other of prolific members who have left us.

A reminder, if you create content , make express instructions as to what is to happen on the event of your death, so those who remain can use or recreate your creations, don't let all that effort become obsolete or unusable because you didn't like to face the fact that none of us are gonna live forever , act now !
@dangavel - I've been thinking about this as well.
I have an open license for reskins on my DLS assets, but I have so many 3d models and textures on my hard drives, that I wouldn't know how or who to share them with.

I don't exactly want them all loose on the internet. I'd rather have them in someone's or a groups care

Rico

@dangavel - I've been thinking about this as well.
I have an open license for reskins on my DLS assets, but I have so many 3d models and textures on my hard drives, that I wouldn't know how or who to share them with.

I don't exactly want them all loose on the internet. I'd rather have them in someone's or a groups care

Rico
it is an issue, best send them to a couple of folks who are trustworthy. i'll happily archive them for you as I have loads of HD space. or burn the lot to dvd and leave instructions as to what to do with them at the event of death or incapacitation. .

Hi Dan,

These are usefull thoughts, and I have the same opinion, regarding my (tons) of own creations ...

You should be aware of this : don't use burned DVD's : they will be unusable after approximately 5 years !

Cheers,

Philippe

Hi Dan,

These are usefull thoughts, and I have the same opinion, regarding my (tons) of own creations ...

You should be aware of this : don't use burned DVD's : they will be unusable after approximately 5 years !

Cheers,

Philippe
Some will , some won't , I have ones I've burned 15 years ago, they are fine , it depends on the media , gold maxells seem to be losing the top coat, a bad sign, and they were supposed to be better quality at the time, but I never just rely on one copy, I have multiple backups on both hd and cd or dvd discs.

Unfortunately, the production quality is lost ... I have saved discs since I bought my first burner, and the main thing, as in everything, are the brands...
But, and as a South American citizen I know well, the problem is piracy. Here you bought well-known brands in respectable stores (and at respectable prices) that turned out to be produced in some unknown Chinese factory.
The result is generally unreadable or physically damaged discs in a few years. The only protection that worked well for me was recording at low speeds and storing them clean and dry in their box.
My collection of music CDs has also had mixed luck ... but I have a few healthy ones left (already saved as mp3 as well)
My legacy doesn't take up much space or arouse much interest, anyway ... but it will remain free in the Cloud and in hands of good friends.

One of the tech journalists wrote an article several years ago now, where he went back through all his burned CDs and checked if they were still OK. The ones that still worked were usually labeled with a Sharpie marker, whereas the ones that no longer worked were often labeled with some other type of marker. Some of the markers apparently have acids or something in them that can ruin the top surface, which is the thinnest surface above the media. I have always used Sharpies and have never had a CD go bad. Recently I bought a large hard drive and transferred all of my backup CDs going back 20+ years to the hard drive, so now I have them all online and searchable. Another article I read said that the CDs with the bluish surface are better for longevity than others. I have not always followed that, but have quite a few. I think they are ones like Maxell, TDK, Imation, etc.

Also, consider posting a creative commons license here on the forums. There are a couple here by MSGSapper and Ben Dorsey:
https://forums.auran.com/forums/faqs-tips-and-tweaks.18/
I am certain there was at one time a thread that had several other authors like Dave Snow and Funnnyfarm and others, but I can't seem to find it now. It was created a few years back when several of us requested they be gathered together into one place.
EDIT: Found it: https://forums.auran.com/threads/mu...g-relinquishing-of-rights.162826/post-1885116

Last edited:
Back