Alex23's LNER A4s from the DLS.

shebashetan7

Hey all

I'm trying to upgrade the LNER A4s that Jetstreamsky and Alex23 posted on the DLS a bit. I figured out the engine sounds and e specs, but I can't seem to figure out the numbers. Whenever I try enter a running number onto an A4, the number shows up, but the corresponding nameplate doesn't. It either shows the placeholder "Duchess of Glouchester" nameplate or nothing. Is there any way to fix the numbers and nameplates on the A4s so that they work and show properly? Thanks.

2021-03-20_105650.jpg

In TANE and TRS19 you have to open for edit, open the alpha_numbers file and and edit the size of the 'b' meshes (0b to 9b) from 512 X 64 to 256 X 32. The 'b' meshes are the nine names. The same applies to any of the named locos by theses authors.

ingha

Last edited:
Gotta say shebashtan, it's pretty ambitious of you to tackle Alex23's Gresley A4s. They're some of the oldest models in Trainz and judging by how nice they're looking I can't wait to see how the end result turns out! I'm a huge fan of your Milwaukee Road reskins and the other USA models you've done over the years.

Ingha is correct as the A4s use the original alpha numbers system. This was done during the "wild west" of trainz before eldavo introduced his script for UK Models. Its been a while but I believe the same applies to his Duchess and Merchant Navy Pacifics as well.

Speaking of, have you considered upgrading the Merchant Navy Pacifics at all? With skills like yours I'm sure it would be a breeze! :)

In TANE and TRS19 you have to open for edit, open the alpha_numbers file and and edit the size of the 'b' meshes (0b to 9b) from 512 X 64 to 256 X 32. The 'b' meshes are the nine names. The same applies to any of the named locos by theses authors.

ingha

Thanks for that! I was trying to fathom out why Jetsteamsky's names didn't work some time ago and had given up! Just done them all using Irfanview and a batch convert to resize, easy fix.

Glad it was useful.

It was a long time ago I did this, but I think one also has to change the 'fonts' bit in the config.txt file to read:

fonts 2
fonts-path "a4_br_green"

unless this has already been done.

ingha

I'm sorry for the late reply, but I tried out both suggestions and they work wonders for this old boy. Thanks a lot guys!

2021-03-22_193848.jpg

Must say, when I saw this thread I was extremely sceptical about what you could get out of such an old model - almost a heritage item - but I must say that does look pretty good! I'll be interested to see these when they hit the DLS.

Paul

Must say, when I saw this thread I was extremely sceptical about what you could get out of such an old model - almost a heritage item - but I must say that does look pretty good! I'll be interested to see these when they hit the DLS.

Paul

Thank you! It all depends on what the original licenses says though. I'll probably upload these to the DLS as an alternative to the payware A4s for those who still want a model that works properly, plus as beautiful as they are, the payware versions lack some kind of ARN, only individual assets for each loco are available. Combined with heavy scripting, higher poly models and HD textures, they can end up taking quite a bit of space.

Is it worth passing your modified version to the content repair group? That way they can upload it as an update of the original so that the issues are fixed for everyone without having to change the base KUID

It would probably take longer to get uploaded to the DLS if it went through the repair group. Given that they have a massive backlog of content to work on.

Try alex23's LNER P2 Deflectors as well. Looks good on the Edinburgh Dundee run. There are streamlined versions too. Just needs the names and engine spec updated, as with the A4s and V2s.

ingha

where are they???

This is exactly and precisely what I've been looking for! The TS12 versions are so un-detailed. I just found the payware versions but I've already been spending much too much. Did you ever upload these to the DLS??? I didn't see them under your User ID. Puhleaze tell me they are available? Your screenshots look beautiful!!

Back