A Thank You Would Be Nice

You nailed it, I had exact same experience not only once .
Even after posting and ask the individual if the help and asset links etc helped I never got any reply.
:confused:

In my initial post I stated that I spent two days helping this person, no, not two entire days but within a two day period and it would have been nice to hear if my efforts helped. Now, for something that takes a minute or two to help like finding a asset or pointing them in the right direction that's no biggie. I understand and agree with most that has been posted hear and I do appreciate everyone's reply.

This brings up something I have thought about for a long time. The "please" and "thank you" sound very courteous, However, suppose I post a question hoping for an answer; should I be adding "please"? What if 7 folks reply in some way or another; should I be adding 7 "thank yous"? I think you see where I am going with this. MsgSapper has added probably hundreds or maybe thousands of new assets. If 500 users reading the post each posted a "thank you" for each of his posts, then the forum would be clogged. I like his approach, asking for screenshots.

On the other hand, if someone actually uses a route or session, a "thank you" and some feedback is most welcome.

A reasonable solution is not too difficult, if you ask for something why not add a please (I presume it's a contraction of 'If you please') and after an appropriate amount of time a post that says something like 'thanks to everyone who helped.

The "Gimme" attitude does seem to be a generational tendency and, while very disappointing (I put an obscene amount of time into my Routes for DLS) it can be understood to a degree. I can imagine a user who has limited income, deciding to buy Trainz and then being thrilled at all the potential freeware items on DLS. A "thank you" is not even on the horizon at that point because they bought a game and are therefore entitled to DLS. Take that a step further and assume that a DLS item does not work. Again, they expect it to be fixed for the earlier noted reason. It is also worth remembering that the average user does not appear to separate an Auran created asset from a User created asset. They are all simply assets which "come with the game" as part of the inventory on DLS.

Given the broad appeal of Trainz around the world; cultures of entitlement; language challenges, and just plain ignorance ... there are clearly many reasons why "please and thank you" are not used too often. My position in general is to just overlook the apparent lack of manners and resolve the individual's issue ... and use the opportunity to educate them a little re inter-personal dialogues.

I have a quite strong following re my Routes but, despite a significant number of downloads, only a few people have said "Thank you". If I then take away those individuals who are creators themselves, I can count on one hand the "Thank yous" received over the past 15 years. If I recall correctly, I have only received one offensive comment, and my response was to remind them of the Delete functionality.

There is a positive side to this though. When somebody does make a request (rather than a demand), and when somebody does say "Thanks" (rather than say nothing) .... it really is appreciated isn't it! Regards to all. Colin. :)

Agree 100% with the OP, though have to say generally in my experience I have only encountered one individual who kept pestering without much in the way of please and thank you.

If and when I upload a route to the DLS, my appreciation generally comes from catching a glimpse of the d/l count and that no one is openly sl&gging it off on the forum!

I completely agree to the OP!

Thank you or at least feedback has been getting less and less for years. I find the fact sad, especially when it comes to repairing content or getting it to work, in the end it is silent. The last dozen emails I received were requests that I should make my canceled content available again via my homepage... That's why I don't officially publish anything anymore. Many who have helped me in the past certainly still have my email and know how to contact me and become what they want. I know that no matter how short the response will be, I will get feedback and an honest thank you.

I am also someone who was happy to get help, be it the help of Matruck who always created a content for my routes or to the testers (Der Hildener, Pitkin, Pug and many others) who spent hours testing my things. I hope I always said thank you, but as I know myself, in my emails I may have said thank you at least twice.

I also honestly admit, sometimes emails end up in the span order for some reason where I never look, I recently found email responses from Pguy by chance about problems weeks or months ago :(

I think this is a younger generation thing where assistance is expected, and it stems from how they are brought up.

I know I do receive thankyous and kudos for assisting many people, but there are many more where we no longer hear if the offer helped them or not. Having worked in technical support, this attitude is not unusual and I saw it both in-house as well as outside.

Sometimes, we do receive a thank you here in the forums from unexpected sources, and not always right away. As I always do, I post detailed instructions on how to go about fixing something, or on implementing a runaround to a problem. We may never hear from the original poster asking the question, but sometimes a Thanks! will appear from a newcomer who searched diligently for a solution to the same problem months later.

It's for this reason that I post detailed instructions for people whether I receive a thank you or not. At least the issue may have been a solution to a problem whether the OP has acknowledged it or not, but at least I may have helped someone else in the future.

I have uploaded 4 sessions and maybe a dozen driver commands and rules. For the sessions, they have been downloaded a total of hundreds of times. If I recall correctly, the only 2 responders are Heinrich505, who runs the sessions, and Philskene, who is the route creator. On the other hand, I have used, and are present in the underlying route, thousands of assets for which I have not thanked the creators.

I think there is much truth to the generational issues. But I think the nature of the forums and the internet is inherently impersonal. I would guess that most of the receivers of the help would be gracious if they were standing in front of you.

I will continue to develop and share my creations, what few they are, while I am mentally and physically able to do so. Others are free feel as they wish. Everyone does not act in the same way, and thank goodness for that.

I completely agree to the OP!

Thank you or at least feedback has been getting less and less for years. I find the fact sad, especially when it comes to repairing content or getting it to work, in the end it is silent. The last dozen emails I received were requests that I should make my canceled content available again via my homepage... That's why I don't officially publish anything anymore. Many who have helped me in the past certainly still have my email and know how to contact me and become what they want. I know that no matter how short the response will be, I will get feedback and an honest thank you.

I am also someone who was happy to get help, be it the help of Matruck who always created a content for my routes or to the testers (Der Hildener, Pitkin, Pug and many others) who spent hours testing my things. I hope I always said thank you, but as I know myself, in my emails I may have said thank you at least twice.

I also honestly admit, sometimes emails end up in the span order for some reason where I never look, I recently found email responses from Pguy by chance about problems weeks or months ago :(

I am sorry to hear that you are not publishing anymore. What you have shared is clearly a tremendous amount of work, and most appreciated.

Last edited:
Back