A Thank You Would Be Nice

stouthm

Get over it
I don't mind helping other members finding assets belonging to any of my routes, supplying info or pointing them in the right direction. I've been helped by many members and some even made me special assets for my route, I've always tried to thank them or let them know it was really appreciated. Just spent two days helping this guy and not a peep. Got what he wanted and gone. So, if someone gives you some help just say thanks. That one word makes it worthwhile.

Although I've never interacted with you before, thank you for helping others get what they're looking for.

Thanks for your contributions!

eLuGw2a.jpg
[/IMG]

regards,
Blabsky

As a wee nipper, many moon's ago, the first two words my parents taught me were "please" & "thankyou"

Boy, have those two words opened some doors for me over my lifetime...

(I'm not too sure whether they still teach those two words anymore)!!!

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
Hey Guys, I wasn't looking for any thankyous I was just voicing my thoughts and hopefully they will make people think. Appreciate your thoughts.

Blabsky, hope you're enjoying Tillamook.

Dear Stouhm, I cannot agree more on certain 'ghost's" behaviour on the forum for many many years.
It feels more than annoying when you try to help spent sometimes a lot of time to find or repair and not one bleep.
Some older trainzers and customers of mine I know always have a kind encouraging word.
It helps a lot to continue the uphill battle making things work and help were can.
Those less than a handful give a lot of good energy.
Few people know or care how difficult it is to make things work .

regards,

Roy:wave:

Hey Guys, I wasn't looking for any thankyous I was just voicing my thoughts and hopefully they will make people think. Appreciate your thoughts.

Blabsky, hope you're enjoying Tillamook.

Can only agree with all of the above. I've had frequent help from various people here, and likewise helped others find what they are missing. I also recognise that shot from the Tillamook route, one of my favourites. If I've ever missed saying thank you to anyone, (hope I haven't), I certainly appreciate all the help I get.

Its not simply the case of wanting thanks for tips, suggestions, ideas and possible workarounds, etc. It is often about getting some feedback on whether or not a proposed solution or suggestion worked or not. These threads may be read by others with the same or a similar problem so any feedback can be useful to them as well.

It is possible that some of those you help simply give up on the problem (I sometimes feel like that myself) and move on with something else.

Over the years (far too many now that - shock - I am on my 70th trip around the Sun) I have come to realise that not everyone thinks the same way about helping out or getting help.

My thoughts.

I agree with what's been said here so far.

Please Can You... and ....Thank You have been replaced by Gimme and Now!

Yes, a lot of people don't realise how much work is involved in getting an asset made or reskinned, making an asset is not like getting an Airfix kit and putting it all together and reskinning and updating an older asset is more than just 'Paint by numbers'

Thank you for your posts.

Graham

It costs nothing to be nice, or to be grateful, or to be humble.

These concepts seem lost in the societal poison of today :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You is what i say to anybody that does a service. Never did use any of your help but i will say to all on this forum Thank You i check it everyday and its been a ton of help.:)

This brings up something I have thought about for a long time. The "please" and "thank you" sound very courteous, However, suppose I post a question hoping for an answer; should I be adding "please"? What if 7 folks reply in some way or another; should I be adding 7 "thank yous"? I think you see where I am going with this. MsgSapper has added probably hundreds or maybe thousands of new assets. If 500 users reading the post each posted a "thank you" for each of his posts, then the forum would be clogged. I like his approach, asking for screenshots.

On the other hand, if someone actually uses a route or session, a "thank you" and some feedback is most welcome.

Nothing wrong with saying "please" in any question, but it's not just that..... a lot of times, it's how the question is worded overall. Is it reasonable, clearly stated, not demanding or full of anger or snide comments? Same with thank you's. If multiple people respond to your question, you don't necessarily have to reply to each one individually in the forum. I will sometimes post a "Thank you, everyone for the replies" message or something similar. Occasionally if someone has been very helpful and gone above and beyond I will thank them privately.

Also, one must take into account the large amount of Trainz users who do not speak English natively. Sometimes things do get lost in translation, especially with slang and colloguialisms.

We live in the "selfie" age. It's all about ME, ME, ME. But not only that, it moves on to GIVE ME, GIVE ME, GIVE ME and that moves on to FIX FOR ME, FIX FOR ME, FIX FOR ME which moves on to MAKE FOR ME, MAKE FOR ME, MAKE FOR ME. (I deserve it and I demand it.)

We live in the "selfie" age. It's all about ME, ME, ME. But not only that, it moves on to GIVE ME, GIVE ME, GIVE ME and that moves on to FIX FOR ME, FIX FOR ME, FIX FOR ME which moves on to MAKE FOR ME, MAKE FOR ME, MAKE FOR ME. (I deserve it and I demand it.)

Almost all of this type of verbal behavior on the forum seems to me to be from frustration. Most people are just lost when a computer goes astray, especially a program like Trainz without all open source code. If I can help someone with a technical problem, I am glad to do so, with "please" optional to me.

The people on this forum are great at helping folks. That not what I was referring to. I think the reference was to those who selfishly demand things.

Its not simply the case of wanting thanks for tips, suggestions, ideas and possible workarounds, etc. It is often about getting some feedback on whether or not a proposed solution or suggestion worked or not. These threads may be read by others with the same or a similar problem so any feedback can be useful to them as well.

It is possible that some of those you help simply give up on the problem (I sometimes feel like that myself) and move on with something else.

Over the years (far too many now that - shock - I am on my 70th trip around the Sun) I have come to realise that not everyone thinks the same way about helping out or getting help.

My thoughts.

That's a great point. Once you get something figured out, whether or not you did it on your own, post the SOLUTION for the benefit of others , who at some point , even years down the road might run into the same problem.

I agree that common courtesy in the " selfie .....it's all about ME " age isn't that common anymore. It's as though people are wanting their lives to be reality shows on platforms like Face Book for attention. I'm not a fan of that at all.

When receiving help , a simple "thank you" or a compliment goes a long way. You'd think that would be an automatic / virtuous thing to do.

On the other hand, on this forum, I see insults like " Gimme Pigs" being thrown around too easily for responses to questions such as " ... where can I find that ________? (fill in the blank), or " are you still working on the ______ ? ". There are some occasions I've seen that a request could be taken as a compliment to one's work, rather than a demand or being pushy.

Last edited:
In my initial post I stated that I spent two days helping this person, no, not two entire days but within a two day period and it would have been nice to hear if my efforts helped. Now, for something that takes a minute or two to help like finding a asset or pointing them in the right direction that's no biggie. I understand and agree with most that has been posted hear and I do appreciate everyone's reply.

Respect has and will continue to go far if you practice a bit.

As a wee nipper, many moon's ago, the first two words my parents taught me were "please" & "thankyou"

Boy, have those two words opened some doors for me over my lifetime...

(I'm not too sure whether they still teach those two words anymore)!!!

Cheers, Mac...

Good Evening Meatloaf and others,

Absolutely agree, my Parents taught me the same when growing up, and always respect your elders too........In my professional life, I strived to do the same, and one other thing, own up to when you made a mistake and say sorry.......;)

We can't expect all the time, but when it is offered it nice to hear. Peace and good health to all during this most difficult time in our lives........:wave:

Back