Water Direction

scull488

Hi All,

Does anyone know if you can change the direction that the water seems to be traveling?

The water in my constructed route looks to be traveling up stream. Not the best looking effect.

Scull

TRS19 / Platinum
Build: 109646
2019 MacBook Pro 16"
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel i9
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

First we assume you are talking about a river. In Trainz we have oceans and lakes. For rivers, there are several ways we simulate running streams. Don't have the kuid's now, but one is an asset that seems to rotate a whitish image that with a little imagination resembles water. The other is a spline system where you superimpose, again, something that looks like running water. Some even have sound of water on a creek. Now, you can alter any of these items by rotating assets or changing the spline setting. Would be nice if you state what you are doing with more details.

Unfortunately, there's no way to set the direction for the water flow. The water movement is generic water-movement. As said, there are assets to show water movement in direction as well as water splines.

There are many water splines to choose from on the DLS from various places around the world with a multitude of spellings. A quick look in Content Manger shows some built-in ones including Creeks Spline Rippled Water and Creek Spline Whitewater splines. To use these, you drag one end to extend the spline to the length desired and bury the edges under the terrain.

The kuids for these items is <kuid:106916:10393> and <kuid:106916:10394>These assets are by the great content creator George Fisher (gfisher), and are shown as built-in on my system.

An animated weir-effect object, scenery item, is also built-in. This Weir effect <kuid:523:2:723367>. Being an object, you can rotate this and adjust the height as required.

There is also a running water, a rapids, type asset that I can't remember the name of offhand so I can't search for it quickly, however, I hope this is a start.

Thank's llebrez and JCitron For The Reply's,

I am not referring to a water spline, but the actual water effect you add from the terrane tab. It is being used in a lake and a connected river that start at the north end and travels down to the south within my route (which is the way most water travels. With the water effect set to "rough" or "choppy" the waves seem to be traveling upstream (north), which is the opposite of where I would like it to be flowing.

I do have water falls that do have the effect of the water traveling to the south, but the effect of the water itself seems to travel up hill (to the north).

I just wasn't sure if there was some hidden trick.

Thanks Again For The Reply,

Scull

TRS19 / Platinum
Build: 109646
2019 MacBook Pro 16"
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel i9
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Sorry if a dumb question, but if you reverse the direction and actually run it the WRONG way, does it then look right?

In nature, it’s quite possible to have water flow in a different, even opposite, direction to waves on the surface. Flow direction is determined by gravity, surface ripples follow the wind. Since the animated water gives you no choice, you could just imagine this is what is happening.

In nature, it’s quite possible to have water flow in a different, even opposite, direction to waves on the surface. Flow direction is determined by gravity, surface ripples follow the wind. Since the animated water gives you no choice, you could just imagine this is what is happening.

What I teach for dinghy sailing:-
The wind ripples are across the wing (wavefront perpendicular to the wind) - so you can tell which way the wind is blowing. If you have wind with tide (both moving in the same direction) the waves tend to be flattened, wind against tide, the waves are bigger and steeper.
You can stand on a headland and the sea appears to be smooth - it's actually blowing force 5 same direction as the tide/water flow. Shortly after the tide turns and there's white horses everywhere!

Colin

Simply LOL

Clone a water asset like this one;

Code:
kind                                    "water2"
username                                "Calm"
trainz-build                            4.2
wave0-magnitude                         1
wave0-scale                             6,8
wave0-speed                             0.001,0.02
wave1-magnitude                         1
wave1-scale                             5,7
wave1-speed                             0.002,0.005
water-opacity                           0.5
specular-power                          60
water-texture-kuid                      <kuid:523:19723523>
reflection-lighting-strength            0.6
category-class                          "EW"
kuid                                    <kuid:-1:6353>

Then modify the mesh;
water-texture-kuid <kuid:523:19723523>
with one of your own

You can reverse the direction of flow as follows:

Clone the water asset with your chosen ripple style and edit it's config file. For example

kind "water2"
kuid <kuid:523:19723525>
username "Medium Ripples"
trainz-build 4.2
wave0-magnitude 3
wave0-scale 3,3
wave0-speed 0,0.05
wave1-magnitude 5
wave1-scale 5,5
wave1-speed 0.02,0.01
water-opacity 0.5
specular-power 70
water-texture-kuid <kuid:30501:311280>
reflection-lighting-strength 0.5
category-class "EW"

thumbnails
{
}
username-de "Mittlere Wellen"
username-pl "Medium Ripples"

kuid-table
{
0 <kuid:30501:311280>
}

Make all four speed parameters negative (and change the username to e.g. "Medium Ripples reverse flow")

This will, of course, change the flow direction throughout the route so you may find that other rivers that were flowing correctly are now flowing uphill.

I find a good compromise is to just make the wave0-speed parameters negative and leave the wave1-speed as it is. This keeps the rippling effect but with no overall impression of flow.

Back