Euromodeller's Unfinished Loft Layout Project

euromodeller

Imagineer
I have an ongoing wrist problem that has now got to the stage where I have to wear a stiff brace on my left arm/wrist which prevents me from flexing my wrist and from holding my mouse.
I am trying to use my right hand to work the mouse, being a hard-wired ancient left-hander it is very difficult to maintain any sort of accuracy, such as reskinning or even placing objects on a map.
Typing is possible but not too fast.
So not wanting to sit around being frustrated and inactive, I thought I would send some of my unfinished projects to the DLS for you to play with.
I will add a Creative commons license so that you can publish your completed version on the DLS, just mention mention me as the original author.

The first one is Nebenbahn Hengeburg which started life as one of Ray Whiley's models and somehow it just evolved into this layout. :hehe:

It is a loft layout with sloping ceilings and pelmets over the baseboards.
Features include a chimney breast and a stairwell from the floor below.

It is almost complete, it needs small details like people and vehicles, it can be changed to a UK layout with a bit of effort.

neb-1.jpg

heng-2.jpg

heng.jpg

Layout Thumbnail.
thumbnail.jpg

don't forget, it's a WIP so some things might need tweaking!

I'll get a description on it and get it to the DLS today.

Tomorrow I'll see what else I can find, basement, garage etc. are all on my hard drive...somewhere :)

Cheers and stay safe,
Graham

edited to add..

This is made in TRS19, build 106618, version 4.6, basic install.

Last edited:
Wow! You have more stashed on your hard drive than I think I can ever hope to try to create. Great stuff Graham, and thank you for your generosity in sharing it all!

That is one amazing layout Graham. You certainly don't lack for imagination.

Is your wrist problem a repetitive strain injury? I ended up with a wrist full of red hot wire due to over use of a jewellers piercing saw back when I was making brass locomotive models. Fortunately all healed now, but it took a while.

If you use more than 20 gm pressure on your fingers you'll damage them over time. The American ANSI standard is 55 gms minimum so avoid a normal keyboard. Touch Stream is the best one that you just touch the keys but Apple brought them out some years ago to get hold of their patents. Then they stopped making the keyboards. I have a Dell two in one which isn't bad as a tablet. Strangely enough my favourite device at the moment in an LG V20 smartphone that uses wifi in the house. It doesn't have a sim card. That one works well for emails. You can buy them on ebay etc they are about the last high end ones that have a replaceable battery. Mice are a problem. The switch used makes a difference. My favourite one is a Cooler Master MM710 53G Gaming Mouse with Lightweight Honeycomb Shell but it is probably succeeded by a new model these days. Even that one I need to be careful how much I use it. The built in mouse on the touch stream works well but sometimes you need a mouse to get the precision. Cheerio John

My wrist problem is CTS, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome mixed with RSI.
27 years in the motor trade, (10 as a car mechanic) has just about knackerd my knees and wrists. My knees damaged by having to kneel on cold floors to work on cars, wrists due to not having power tools available.
It was no fun working on a broken down car or truck out on the street in the middle of winter, todays mechs have it easy, one of my sons is a mechanic, hardly any physical strain at all and all the modern tools you could imagine! I left the motor trade in the mid ninetees to become an entrepreneur working from home.
The wrist problem has flared up this last couple of years because I am a Trainzoholic! You might be surprised at how much you flex your wrist and rub it against your desktop edge during use.
I will have to monitor my time on Trainz when I have freedom again.
This new splint/brace is very comfortable to wear, the last one was torture, it has a rigid metal bar that is shaped to fit my palm..
I managed a shot with my Nikon digital camera..(not a phone)
brace-yourself.jpg

The mouse I use is very light, it's an Asus TUF Gaming M5 with the DPI button on the top.
The left and right switches are very sensitive and light to use.
My keyboard is a Corsair K55 RGB.
I am pleased though, that I am able to manage some tasks still.

Cheers,
Graham

Last edited:
My wrist problem is CTS, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome mixed with RSI.
27 years in the motor trade, (10 as a car mechanic) has just about knackerd my knees and wrists. My knees damaged by having to kneel on cold floors to work on cars, wrists due to not having power tools available.
It was no fun working on a broken down car or truck out on the street in the middle of winter, todays mechs have it easy, one of my sons is a mechanic, hardly any physical strain at all and all the modern tools you could imagine! I left the motor trade in the mid ninetees to become an entrepreneur working from home.
The wrist problem has flared up this last couple of years because I am a Trainzoholic! You might be surprised at how much you flex your wrist and rub it against your desktop edge during use.
I will have to monitor my time on Trainz when I have freedom again.
This new splint/brace is very comfortable to wear, the last one was torture, it has a rigid metal bar that is shaped to fit my palm..
I managed a shot with my Nikon digital camera..(not a phone)
brace-yourself.jpg

The mouse I use is very light, it's an Asus TUF Gaming M5 with the DPI button on the top.
The left and right switches are very sensitive and light to use.
My keyboard is a Corsair K55 RGB.
I am pleased though, that I am able to manage some tasks still.

Cheers,
Graham

well your stuff is fantastic, I wish i had your modelling skills. I had a real problem with computer use a year or so ago, but physio cured it, i know carpal tunnel can be awful as I have a minor case myself. You take care of yourself Graham and rest up for a while

I have brothers and a cousin who were in the motor trade and they have trashed knees too.

I recognise that brace, - I used to have one just like it. Hopefully it will do the trick Graham and give your wrist a chance to heal.

Graham,
Wow, flashback time. I had to wear something very similar to that when I popped my wrist trying to lift something too heavy. You are right about it not being fun to wear. That was a rough time.

Take your time and get well. Don't rush things as that will only delay your recovery.

Regards,
Gary

My sympathies go to you, and I certainly know about knees, 47 years in Horticulture I got arthritis the first year in the knees from kneeling on the damp ground for weeks planting seedlings. Take good care of yourself, we need talented people like you and let's face it, you could do without the pain and interruptions to your hobby. ;)

Thank you all for your kind words.
Sorry, but I don't know how to take it easy, but I will try.:hehe:

I had quite a slow but busy day yesterday with plenty of rest, i.e. looking at DVDs that I've had for years but never bothered to watch (Train ones of course) and looking for assets that I've reskinned but needing the configs sorting out.

This break from heavy mouse use is actually going to come in handy, a management mentor during my career once told me, 'Turn a complaint into a sale', in other words find a positive out of a negative.
The positive for me is that I can slowly get some of my older assets written up and get them onto the DLS, including some unfinished routes from 2012 that I ported into TRS19.

stay safe and take care,

Graham

Wow, a very modern brace.
Burnout diseases derived from a professional activity are not usually recognized as occupational diseases by state health systems.

Thank you very much Graham for making this route available to us and for the screenshots.
Don't strain, relax with Benny ........ heh heh :hehe:

Hugs, Javier

Good day euromodeller,

Thank you for sharing about the injuries you suffer from........Sounds very painful indeed.

I have sciatica in both legs, one of them has surgery for torn meniscus, something I wish not for anyone to deal with when it flairs up.......Fortunately other than some bursitis in the elbows on occasion, my Wrist have served me well over the many years and several Jobs I have done.......I do find times when I work to long in Trainz/ Surveyor Etc,my Wrist will tell me that Mouse time is enough. Then I know I have over done it.......:(

With that, I send you a Virtual Prayer and ask the Father above to heal you and provide some comfort during this difficult time. :wave:

Last edited:
Back