TANE & TRS19 won't run with a RTX 3090

Lataxe

In a fit of rabid consumerism, I bought a new PC with an RTX3090 in it. (There's also a Threadripper CPU and plenty of super-duper RAM & storage). However ......

I took out the two SATA SSDs with TANE SP4 and TRS19 Platinum (unpatched) from the old computer and installed them in the new beast-PC. They're recognised and both programs will start after I re-arranged the file paths, re-entered my user credentials and did a database rebuild. But I get only in a minute or so before the program freezes, in both Surveyor or Driver. They won't unfreeze, although Task Manager tells me that there is a fair degree of CPU, GPU, RAM and SSD activity - nothing silly, just the usual sort of activity I had on the old PC when Trainz was running properly. The DLS application seems to work alright, as does the Content Store downloader. Only Surveyor and Driver freeze up and won't unfreeze, so have to be stopped via a Task Manager "End Task" instruction.

If I keep restarting Trainz, the freeze begins to happen on the loading screen and it never gets to Surveyor or Driver. Eventually, Trainz won't load even the splash screen - until the computer is rebooted, then its back to the freezes et al.

I've reinstalled TRS19 Platinum from the off-line download I kept and did some Content Store downloading - a fresh installation of Trainz on a different drive, that is. The same problem results. I'll try the same with a fresh TANE SP4 install but ........

Perhaps the culprit is the graphics driver? I have an output from the RTS3090 (going via Displayport to an Asus 4K Proart monitor) using:

Nividia Control Panel Version 8.1.960.0
Driver 27.21.14.6192

Does anyone know if the driver may be the culprit? Or of any other solution? I feel the anti-consumerism gremln is playing a cruel joke on me .... all tooled up with an RTX3090 but no ability to use it to play Trainz! Cuh!! :)

Lataxe

PS The developer log file has this at the bottom of a lot more stuff:

? <kuid:447264:1005> Loading asset <kuid:447264:1005>
- <kuid:447264:1005> TADGetSpecFromAsset> Unknown asset <kuid:447264:1005>
; <NULL> 1 queued router messages cleared for 0026 'consist_1', message Train.GetJunctionTrackPermit, Timeout
; <NULL> 1 queued router messages cleared for 0026 'consist_1', message Train.GetJunctionTrackPermit, Timeout
; <NULL> 1 queued router messages cleared for 0025 'consist_0', message Train.GetJunctionTrackPermit, Timeout
; <NULL> 1 queued router messages cleared for 0025 'consist_0', message Train.GetJunctionTrackPermit, Timeout
? <NULL> MeshResource::LoadResource> <kuid2:1942:39108:2> | arc:fld:$(packages)/sc379f/content||kuid2 1942 39108 2.tzarc|
? <NULL> Loading mesh school_1942.im
! <NULL> VE166: 18 combined chunks (of 18 source) in .im file:
; <NULL> TNISpeedTreeApp::UpdateState> Billboard batch starvation (1302) 523:19723350/
; <NULL> TNISpeedTreeApp::UpdateState> Billboard batch starvation (1611) 523:19723350/
; <NULL> TNISpeedTreeApp::UpdateState> Billboard batch starvation (1626) 523:19723062/
; <NULL> GSRouter::Done(), 4 outstanding node(s)
; <NULL> 1 queued router messages cleared for 0025 'consist_0', message Train.ThreadAITrainStuck, Tick
; <NULL> 1 queued router messages cleared for 0025 'consist_0', message Train.ThreadAITrainStuck, Tick

which seems to be where things stick.

Lataxe

Driver 27.21.14.6192 that looks correct as 461.92 is what Nvidia are listing as the latest.

I would say looking at that log the culprit may be those two speedtree items.

<kuid2:523:19723350:1> Tree SugarMaple Library
<kuid2:523:19723062:1> Tree Sassafras 01

Or more likely.

<kuid:447264:1005> Achievement Variable updater for Driver Achievements, it's modified here and not showing as on DLS also a 3.2 so possibly an incompatible script issue? no idea where I got it and I don't appear to be using it.

Seem to be OK here in 110491, check open for edit and anything in there revert to original?

Does this happen on all routes or just as I'm suspecting Dearnby?

Driver 27.21.14.6192 that looks correct as 461.92 is what Nvidia are listing as the latest.

I would say looking at that log the culprit may be those two speedtree items.

<kuid2:523:19723350:1> Tree SugarMaple Library
<kuid2:523:19723062:1> Tree Sassafras 01

Or more likely.

<kuid:447264:1005> Achievement Variable updater for Driver Achievements, it's modified here and not showing as on DLS also a 3.2 so possibly an incompatible script issue? no idea where I got it and I don't appear to be using it.

Seem to be OK here in 110491, check open for edit and anything in there revert to original?

Does this happen on all routes or just as I'm suspecting Dearnby?

It's happening with all routes.

The latest syndrome is a refusal to get past the splash screen, with this in the (much shorter) Developer log final statement:

- <NULL> TADCopy> Unable to copy file C:/Users/Latax/AppData/Local/N3V Games/trs19/build pl4i1yaq1/cache/internet/e9noexrm5.php to C:/Users/Latax/AppData/Local/N3V Games/trs19/build pl4i1yaq1/cache/thumbnails/kuid 661281 70010-2-0-394.jpg (err 0x00000050)

This from an attempt to once more run a newly installed TRS19 Platinum Build 105100 from a dedicated folder on the C: drive, with the redirect correctly naming the filepath to the application.

I'll poke about some more tomorrow.

Lataxe

First things first

- In Trainz Settings check that the Local Data folder is pointing to the correct place, maybe the drive has been allocated a different letter
- In Trainz Settings reduce all your performance settings to the minimum including NVIDIA to default.
- Download a new NVIDIA driver and proceed through the install ensuring you select the second option which removes all previous installs.

Let me know how you go.

Lataxe - That's a droolworthy system spec you've got there, so I suspect you're right about the anti-consumerism gremlins to an extent.
However, most likely culprit is clearly corruption somewhere in that convoluted path to your UserData folder shown in that log message:
- <NULL> TADCopy> Unable to copy file C:/Users/Latax/AppData/Local/N3V Games/trs19/build pl4i1yaq1/cache/internet/e9noexrm5.php to C:/Users/Latax/AppData/Local/N3V Games/trs19/build pl4i1yaq1/cache/thumbnails/kuid 661281 70010-2-0-394.jpg (err 0x00000050)
Recommend checking the following settings and re-siting your program and UserData directories strictly away from your hidden Users/AppData folder. The lockups appear to indicate a permissions block somewhere. (Check antivirus exceptions, etc. and Windows administrative access to folders on your C: drive.
Suggest COPY all the TRS19 program files to a separate folder on your fastest SSD (which may well be your boot drive C:, or it might be one of your other SSDs). Name it descriptively - say C:\TRS19_Platinum and then COPY all of your UserData folders and files into a descriptively-named subdirectory of that: say C:\TRS19_Platinum\Userdata for example. (This will make for easier maintenance, backups and troubleshooting in the future - guaranteed!)
Complete all the settings dialog parameters to suit and the performance settings to Ultra, except for Post Processing, which is best set to Low to avoid the built-in distortions of higher PP settings. (Your rig should be able to handle just about anything that Trainz can throw at it with everything maxed out)!
Point the Local Data Folder path to your new UserData folder location.
Delete the existing contents of your Cache/Internet folder.
Run a database repair and check for - and deal to - any faulty assets, open for edit, out of date items etc.
Suggest also running TrainzUtil 'prebuild' too if you're running the latest beta build.
Check your anti-virus to ensure that the TRS19 folders are not being real-time monitored by setting them as exclusions.
In particular, pay attention to the display device resolution and aspect ratio settings to ensure that they are appropriate for that Asus ProArt monitor. In the Trainz display settings, do not set this to full screen; rather windowed, so that you can resize the window to achieve effective 4k resolution, since N3V are only supporting 1440p in full screen mode.
Then put your goggles and a hair-net on to prevent your eyeballs and hair being blown off with the exceptional performance!
Good luck with this quest.

Last edited:
Lataxe - That's a droolworthy system spec you've got there, so I suspect you're right about the anti-consumerism gremlins to an extent.
However, most likely culprit is clearly corruption somewhere in that convoluted path to your UserData folder shown in that log message:

Recommend checking the following settings and re-siting your program and UserData directories strictly away from your hidden Users/AppData folder. The lockups appear to indicate a permissions block somewhere. (Check antivirus exceptions, etc. and Windows administrative access to folders on your C: drive.
Suggest COPY all the TRS19 program files to a separate folder on your fastest SSD (which may well be your boot drive C:, or it might be one of your other SSDs). Name it descriptively - say C:\TRS19_Platinum and then COPY all of your UserData folders and files into a descriptively-named subdirectory of that: say C:\TRS19_Platinum\Userdata for example. (This will make for easier maintenance, backups and troubleshooting in the future - guaranteed!)
Complete all the settings dialog parameters to suit and the performance settings to Ultra, except for Post Processing, which is best set to Low to avoid the built-in distortions of higher PP settings. (Your rig should be able to handle just about anything that Trainz can throw at it with everything maxed out)!
Point the Local Data Folder path to your new UserData folder location.
Delete the existing contents of your Cache/Internet folder.
Run a database repair and check for - and deal to - any faulty assets, open for edit, out of date items etc.
Suggest also running TrainzUtil 'prebuild' too if you're running the latest beta build.
Check your anti-virus to ensure that the TRS19 folders are not being real-time monitored by setting them as exclusions.
In particular, pay attention to the display device resolution and aspect ratio settings to ensure that they are appropriate for that Asus ProArt monitor. In the Trainz display settings, do not set this to full screen; rather windowed, so that you can resize the window to achieve effective 4k resolution, since N3V are only supporting 1440p in full screen mode.
Then put your goggles and a hair-net on to prevent your eyeballs and hair being blown off with the exceptional performance!
Good luck with this quest.

Thanks for that detailed set of suggestions, Mr Ace, which I've followed without success. I suspect I have two main problems:

1 The log shows a contining repetative failure to fully login to Planet Auran. The process seems to complete but then stops and, after a while, repeats in an endless loop. I can use the COntent Manager but can't get beyond the "Start Trainz" loading screen without it freezing at various points, usually during or after the splash screen. I see the wee squares flickering and the "pre-caching" message for a few seconds and then it all freezes, with the log showing that endless loop of logging in.

2 If I manage to get to the Start screen to click on somthing, I see only 5 of the built-in routes, none of my own routes. I suspect that the Local folder is somehow in the wrong place. That in the "build wizywag49" folder is empty but that in the TRS Content folder has a lot of stuff in it. Isn't it supposed to be the otherway 'round. Is the "local" folder what you mean by "UserData", of which there is no folder with that name.....?

I tried installing the full copy of the TRS drive that I last took a couple of days before into a new dedicated TRS19 folder in the C: drive. This appears to be an exact copy of everything in the moved-over SSD with what used to be a working TRS19 on the old computer. I pointed the C:drive TRS19 copy to the User/Appdata?NV3 redirect text file with the right "build wizywagetc" folder name in it, but that copy of TRS19 won't run at all. CLicking on the TRS19 exe file results in .... nothing happening.

A mess. Sadly, the usual SNAFU with Trainz these days. I've copied across or reintalled around 30 other programs on the new PC with not one glitch. But Trainz .... nah.

Here's the usual logfile stuff I seem to get now:

; <NULL> TrainzDRMClient::performPlanetAuranLogin> not yet authenticated with planet auran
; <NULL> TrainzDRMClient::performPlanetAuranLogin> logging in to planet auran cache
; <NULL> TrainzDRMClient::performPlanetAuranLogin> cache login successful, setting session cookie
- <NULL> FontManager> Unknown font label 'hud_digital'
? <kuid:30501:1010> Loading asset <kuid:30501:1010>
; <kuid:30501:1010> Recursive attempt to compile this asset; skipping.
; <kuid:30501:1017> Recursive attempt to compile this asset; skipping.
; <kuid:30501:1020> Recursive attempt to compile this asset; skipping.
? <NULL> ScriptableObject::CallScriptInit> <kuid:30501:1010>
; <NULL> TrainzDRMClient::performPlanetAuranLogin> not yet authenticated with planet auran
; <NULL> TrainzDRMClient::performPlanetAuranLogin> logging in to planet auran cache
; <NULL> TrainzDRMClient::performPlanetAuranLogin> cache login successful, setting session cookie

Perhaps I should send in a-one of those tickets? :)

Lataxe, feeling like adopting a PC-based new hobby now.

New install? check the firewall isn't blocking access, Win10 should ask permission on the first launch of a New Trainz install.

New install? check the firewall isn't blocking access, Win10 should ask permission on the first launch of a New Trainz install.

Windows asks me if I want to "allow this program to change settings" when I start it. (The basic User Account access control thingy). I've also explicitly named it as an application that should be allowed through the firewall.

It still freezes after getting started and sometimes allowing me to get as far as loading Driver or Surveyor before it does so; sometimes freezing on the loading screen, though.

I'll put in a ticket. Do N3V typically want the logfile or some other data file that might identify the cause of an issue? If so, I'll prepare some in advance.

Lataxe

Windows asks me if I want to "allow this program to change settings" when I start it. (The basic User Account access control thingy). I've also explicitly named it as an application that should be allowed through the firewall.

It still freezes after getting started and sometimes allowing me to get as far as loading Driver or Surveyor before it does so; sometimes freezing on the loading screen, though.

I'll put in a ticket. Do N3V typically want the logfile or some other data file that might identify the cause of an issue? If so, I'll prepare some in advance.

Lataxe

Logfile and any crash.dmp file in the Trainz folder would help.

Logfile and any crash.dmp file in the Trainz folder would help.

I've submitted a ticket + logfile - or I hope I have. The submission process demands an "order number" supposedly found in "my account" but isn't there.

Why is it always and only Trainz that demands 1 day (or more) fixing for every hour playing, eh?

Perhaps I'll find something else for the new mini-Cray to work on. I've often fancied extending my landscape photography into landscape video. (Is there such a thing)? Perhaps I'll get a-one of those drones and make fine 4K movies of Fforest Brechfa and the coast of Sir Benfro. This'll keep me fitter than Trainz and the dogs will enjoy jumping for the drone. :)

Lataxe

Could just be one bad or corrupted asset causing the problems, trouble is trying to find it.

Might be worth creating a new empty local data folder, say C:\Userdata and temporarily pointing TRS19 at it, that would maybe establish if it's a problem with your local data or the actual TRS19 install.

Lataxe -
I've submitted a ticket + logfile - or I hope I have. The submission process demands an "order number" supposedly found in "my account" but isn't there.
Best to alert QA/ N3V via their Bug Reporting system here: https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu - Is this the form you completed?
Using that form is absolutely the best way to get serious technical assistance for any Trainz Build issues - and it will be acknowledged almost immediately upon submission if you include your Username and email reply address.
The QA team will then look into it and get back to you promptly with any findings/ suggestions (or ask further clarifying questions) to help you resolve the problem.
I'm inclined to think Malc (clam1952) above has put his finger on the most likely culprit - a corrupted file or asset - so his suggestion to establish a new, empty UserData folder and point your current build program files to that is a good way to begin hunting down the errant file(s) or executables.

Last edited:
Lataxe -
Best to alert QA/ N3V via their Bug Reporting system here: https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu - Is this the form you completed?
Using that form is absolutely the best way to get serious technical assistance for any Trainz Build issues - and it will be acknowledged almost immediately upon submission if you include your Username and email reply address.
The QA team will then look into it and get back to you promptly with any findings/ suggestions (or ask further clarifying questions) to help you resolve the problem.
I'm inclined to think Malc (clam1952) above has put his finger on the most likely culprit - a corrupted file or asset - so his suggestion to establish a new, empty UserData folder and point your current build program files to that is a good way to begin hunting down the errant file(s) or executables.

Thanks for that reference to the bug reporting facility. I'll use that if there's no response to the problem ticket by Tuesday.

I doubt that its a problem asset as (a) both TANE and TRS19 (the very same folders and files, via moving the SSDs they were on into the new PC) ran without issue of this kind in Win7; (b) both TANE and TRS19 show the same sort of problem albeit with variations in their logfiles; (c) I now have a clean install of TRS19 Platinum 105100 (in addition to that on the older SSD from the previous PC) with no stuff downloaded into it other than the replacement of out of date assets with the current versions ..... and this shows exactly the same behaviour.

So, if it is an asset, its one that comes with the program installer or the Content Store downloader.

But I suspect there's something amiss with the permissions or other security interface between Trainz and Win10. I've made all the security and permission changes that seem appropriate, excepted Trainz from Malwarebytes and so forth. But both TANE and TRS19 still timeout with some sort of loop going on that repeats the time out process ad infinitum (or so it looks from the logfile, which I'm not really qualified to fully interpret).

I'm hoping NV3 can identify some obvious cause from the logfile - although there's a worrying variety in the contents of each attempt to run Trainz. I suspect the program ends up in a different state after I close it .... but the same log entries do seem to repeat if I close Windows then once more attempt to start Trainz.

Lataxe

Where have you installed it? hopefully not in program files, that can have write restriction issues, also putting your userdata somewhere else other than in the default C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19\buildxxxxxxxxx\

I put TRS19 on a separate drive and create a userdata folder in the TRS19 folder and redirect TRS19 to use that folder rather than the default, keeps thing simple and easier to backup the whole setup in one go. Only thing that needs to be in
C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19\ is userdata-redirect-map.txt which tells TRS19 where your data is.

Copy of one of mine for info.
Code:
"h:/trainz railroad simulator 2019" "H:/Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019/userdata"

Similar for TANE but the default would be in C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\N3V Games\TANE\buildxxxxxxxxx\ and the userdata-redirect-map.txt would refer to TANE

Where have you installed it? hopefully not in program files, that can have write restriction issues, also putting your userdata somewhere else other than in the default C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19\buildxxxxxxxxx\

I put TRS19 on a separate drive and create a userdata folder in the TRS19 folder and redirect TRS19 to use that folder rather than the default, keeps thing simple and easier to backup the whole setup in one go. Only thing that needs to be in
C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19\ is userdata-redirect-map.txt which tells TRS19 where your data is.

Copy of one of mine for info.
Code:
"h:/trainz railroad simulator 2019" "H:/Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019/userdata"

Similar for TANE but the default would be in C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\N3V Games\TANE\buildxxxxxxxxx\ and the userdata-redirect-map.txt would refer to TANE

The original TANE and TRS19 applications were (and still are) hosted entirely on their own dedicated SSDs, named drive R: for Tane and drive T: for TRS19. As you say, only the user redirect map is in C:\Users\AppData etc.. I took those SSDs from the old PC and installed them in the new PC, using Windows Disc Manager to install them and name them R: and T: drives, as they were in the old PC. I copied the old PC C:\User\AppDaya\etc redirect text file to the same location in the new PC.

The clean install of TRS19 is installed on the C: drive but not in the program files folder. It's in a folder C:\TRS19.

The thing is, all of the Trainz applications will: start; load the initial dialogue box; load and run "Manage Content" (with no freezing when used); load the "Start Trainz" splash screen; and sometimes get as far as being able to start Surveyor or Driver for a session/route...... and then it freezes.

I hope N3V will be able to spot the problem in the log files.

I've once more been through every security parameter being applied to Trainz and can find nothing obviously untoward.

Lataxe

May be the Driver, lots of complaints on the Nvidia forums https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...e-46192-game-ready-driver-feedback-thread-re/, I'm still on the previous one.

Meanwhile, clutching at straws here but maybe try HDMI instead of display port, if you can, there have been issues in the past where one or other isn't working correctly, due to driver issues.

A thought, have a look at event viewer and see if there are any errors or warnings relating to the GPU.

May be the Driver, lots of complaints on the Nvidia forums https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...e-46192-game-ready-driver-feedback-thread-re/, I'm still on the previous one.

Meanwhile, clutching at straws here but maybe try HDMI instead of display port, if you can, there have been issues in the past where one or other isn't working correctly, due to driver issues.

A thought, have a look at event viewer and see if there are any errors or warnings relating to the GPU.

Hello Malc,

Yes, I tried the alternative cables, but behaviour is identical with DisplayPort and HDMI cables.

The Windows Event Log shows one error type associated with the GPU but that's a small issue between the GPU and Photoshop when the option to use the GPU to perform various Photoshop tasks is switched on. I never have Photoshop or any other program running (other than background services) when Trainz is attempted. There are no events shown in the Windows Event log indicating problems with an attempt to run Trainz.

The Help Desk keep asking me to try running this or that from the Content Manager drop down "open" command but this just has the same result of a frozen screen, with the logfile either scrolling forever in attempting to load and failing (5 hours is the longest I've left it running); or the logfile ceasing to show any activity and nothing happening despite Task Manager showing the CPU and RAM being used to a significant degree. Perhaps I should send N3V the electricity bill? :)

I've sent three logfiles now to the Help Desk but they don't seem to find anything in them since they don't mention them. They also tell me I can't submit a bug report as those are only for beta testers.

I'm at the point of abandoning Trainz in favour of something that doesn't require as much or more program fixing as it does program using.

It must be something in the interface of Trainz to the new hardware in the new PC and/or to the new O/S (Windows 10 professional rather than Windows 7 Home Premium). What is the interface glitch? I can't find it and, seemingly, neither can the Help Desk, even with all those logfiles.

So .... a PC with near state of the art hardware can' run Trainz. Oh dear. :)

Lataxe

Back