AMD vs Intel/NVidia

boc61

I'm getting ready to have a new machine built as a birthday gift to myself, I figure if I order it now, it may actually be delivered by August with the GPU situation. I've always used the Intel/NVidia combination, but with all they hype AMD has been getting in recent years, I might consider going that route. It seems AMD generally gives more bang for the buck. Any notable pros or cons in general and when Trainz is involved?

I'm getting ready to have a new machine built as a birthday gift to myself, I figure if I order it now, it may actually be delivered by August with the GPU situation. I've always used the Intel/NVidia combination, but with all they hype AMD has been getting in recent years, I might consider going that route. It seems AMD generally gives more bang for the buck. Any notable pros or cons in general and when Trainz is involved?
In crude terms Intel is running on 14 nm fab and I think AMD is on 7 nm. 7 nm will fit more transistors on a given bit of silicon and give off less heat. I might go AMD CPU and nVidia GPU. Cheerio John

I have both AMD and Intel here, both using Nvidia GPUs, never had any problems with AMD and Trainz or anything else, annoyingly the cheaper first generation AMD Ryzen5 1600 + GTX 980TI is pretty much as good as my Intel i7 6700k + 1080TI when running games, the newer Ryzens ones are apparently much better. The AMD runs cooler on it's stock cooler than the Intel on the massive cooler that it's got.

Over the years I have used both Intel and AMD CPUs for Trainz, and still do without issue, but I have learnt that whatever you purchase will be superseded by something better/more powerful and likely more expensive within six months not that Trainz really minds as it requires a reasonable CPU not the fastest or most powerful. In respect of GPU's, in recent years I've stuck with Nvidia after experiencing a couple of burn outs on Radeon boards some years ago but that's now in the past and all options are on the table for a new build once there are adequate supplies available for prices to stabilize and sufficient information available, in the likes of the computer press etc. to make an informed decision. Peter

Lately I have been sticking to Nvidia for video. I find that I get better compatibility with software overall.
And I mostly stick with AMD for the CPU.
I just realized my system is almost a year and a half old. Still running strong with no issues, and runs really cool.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor, 3893 Mhz
Overclocked to 4350 Mhz with Asus AI Suite 3
Total Memory 32 GB
Motherboard ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, 8 GB memory
Main Drive 1 TB M2 SSD
Game Drives 120 GB SATA SSD
500 GB SATA SSD

Be aware that Ars Technica had concerns with the new generation 11 of Intel I9 processors. The single thread processing is faster than it's predecessor, but they cut out half the cores, so it has lost a lot of performance in multi-thread scenarios. That being said, if the game mostly relies on GPU, then single thread performance may be OK. Not so much if the game relies on multiple thread processing: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...rocket-lake-s-gaming-cpus-did-not-impress-us/

Be aware that Ars Technica had concerns with the new generation 11 of Intel I9 processors. The single thread processing is faster than it's predecessor, but they cut out half the cores, so it has lost a lot of performance in multi-thread scenarios. That being said, if the game mostly relies on GPU, then single thread performance may be OK. Not so much if the game relies on multiple thread processing: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...rocket-lake-s-gaming-cpus-did-not-impress-us/

Yeah, so far the i9 is not being warmly welcomed. I don't need an i9, my last two machines were i5's and I thought they were fine. I am considering an i7 this time around, although the new i5's are getting some good press so far.

My current machine is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz, and I haven't noticed any problems thus far.....

Back