Route Building using TransDEM and USGS

pitmilly

Has anyone tried http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm lately?

I merrily typed it in about 20 mins ago, as I have been doing, at intervals over the last 4/5 years, expecting to navigate to Version 2_1, then to SRTM 3, then to enter a file name and then locate the appropriate .hgt file link. All as set out by 'Hiballer' some years back in his condensed and very easy to follow instructions for creating routes with TransDEM

I actually got the USGS web site with a 404 error message telling me that the requested URL could not be matched by routing. What followed was a lengthy set of logging in/registering instructions followed by an incomprehensible order form.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on?

I had this problem a few weeks ago. It went away after a few days. Maybe they are doing server maintenance. And I tried logging in just now and had the same problem as you had.

I'm guessing that the data may have been, most likely, migrated over to the Earth Explorer and I believe you need to create an account in order to download.

EarthExplorer (usgs.gov)

Not the easiest website to navigate. It's well done in a government fashion.

Have looked at all three and must go with schweitzerdude in that 30 M SRTM Elevation Data Downoader is simplicity itself it terms of identifying the specific grid and then downloading the ZIP/hgt file. Whether the image quality is up to the mark of the competition remains to be seen.

Nevertheless, my thanks to all.

John

I use the same site. It works fine.

Joe

Same here as well. The Earth Explorer, while great for finding overseas data, is extremely convoluted and confusing. I was able to download data from there once, but the process was quite frustrating.

The source I used in my tutorial is getting a little spotty at times. I have a feeling it might go away in the near future, to be replaced by something else as others have found. I've found if you leave the "srtm" off the end of the URL, you will get a login screen for USGS. Apparently, they now want you to have an account before allowing you to download anything.

Bill

Bill,

Based on my recent experience, your URL for accessing an hgt has already "gone away. My repeated attempts have resulted in the 404 error message and the login screen for USGS every time. I have registered an account but my problem is that I haven't yet managed to navigate my way through the USGS system to the point where I'm confident that I'm going to finish up with the same totally correct piece of data as per your straightforward A-B-C set of instructions.

Another question which crosses my mind is whether there are TRS19 SP2 compatibility issues? My last (yesterday) TransDEM WIP downloading into Content Manager resulted for the first time in a Red 'Modified Faulty' message which on further investigation included four VE obsolete/no longer supported error warnings.

John

Oh. That doesn't look good then. After you log in to the USGS site, is there a link at the bottom such as "site navigation' or 'site map'? Maybe you could locate it that way.

Bill

EDIT: There is a 'site map' link, but I don't recognize any of the subsequent links as anything usable.

Last edited:
Also used 30-Meter SRTM Elevation Data Downloader yesterday and it works fine. Really easy to find and download the required files visually.

Back