Game Locking Up

JackDownUnder

This problem has been discussed before however I need to request a review of any problems being experience by others.

This is my desktop specification

CPU: Model Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32 Gb Kingston Memory[/SIZE
Display Device: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER on TU 104-A GPU[/SIZE

Hard drives
C:/ 1TB SSD New this week, system and programs unrelated to Trainz, replaced a 500GB.
G:/ 500GB SSD dedicated to Trainz.

When in Session after period of time the PC locks up and the only way to release is to perform the hard reset.
Also a continuing problem with redraw when selecting a different session driver, not as bad as earlier in the year

After discussions with my PC service tech and replacement of the C:/ drive he thought that might solve the problem, however this is not the case.

I do have a small program "Core Temp" so I am able to see how the CPU is performing and when the session enters a highly populated section the temperature rises up to 90degC which is short of the maximum by about 10deg.

Video card GPU is set as attached image
https://www.dropbox.com/s/91nnw4xsopiuczg/Manage%203D%20Settings%20A.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nh894uh0r7pzcgi/Manage%203D%20Settings%20B.png?dl=0

Here are the Trainz Performance Settings
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s8cz325i96yaq6u/Trainz%20Performance%20Settings.png?dl=0

Is any one else experiencing these problems.

Hi Jack,
what version of Trainz, build? and what did you do when it hangs/crashes and on what route?
your PC should be faster than mine, but is see you have a few settings lower, no clutter/turfx?

left yours right my settings
greetings GM

I pressed the PC reset button as the keyboard and mouse were also locked up.
The Route is my own which I have worked pn since TRS2004
Trainz 2019 Build 110491

Is there a way to increase your fan speeds on your case as well as for your video card? It sounds to me that your system overall is getting a bit too warm for the components. If RAM in particular gets pushed beyond what it can handle, the system can lock up especially if there are some RAM chips that are sensitive to heat.

The lockups like that are particularly troubling, and I would inspect that further. You should run a memory test to see if the system locks, or better yet, reports an error. There's one built into Windows and there's a more intense one (recommended) called Memtest86 MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 and ARM Memory Testing Tool.

You need to create a bootable thumb drive and run it from there.

Your power supply too could be marginal. If your system is working hard, that can draw more current on your power supply, which can lead to lock ups if the power supply can't keep up. I have seen this before and it's difficult to troubleshoot too. I ended up putting a DVM on one of the hard drive leads and watched the readout while the system was operating. When my system locked up, the +12V dropped a lot. The other voltages, on some power supplies, run off the same buss and if there's a weak component that's sensitive to heat, or just can't keep up with the load anymore, it can cause things to go south pretty quick.

Now with TRS19 locking up, you probably corrupted your database and hopefully not the route as well. I definitely recommend running a EDR to clean things up. Press CTRL-key at the same time when selecting Repair database.

@ JackDownUnder
user-offline.png

My Custom Map is from all the way Back to 2004 also.
My Trainz 2019 was doing the same issues of Locking up and then a Crash yo the Desktop after about 20 Mins or so.
My GPU Temp was only hitting at 60c then it would hard crash. So I tried the Heaven Benchmark and it Locked up even faster at 52c, and then it would close out the Benchmark.
So what I did was dissembled my GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 to find out that the GPU Past was not hardly there as it had pushed out to off the GPU and the bare shiny GPU Surface was like it had no Past.

I thought what the Heck? So I re-pasted it again with a Heavy does of Past, and fired up Trainz again and no more crashes at even 70c, and even the Heaven Bench Mark ran all the way thru with a excellent Score of 9251. No more GPU issues. Luckily this Card Protected it self from Damage due to Hot spots on the GPU.

All in all please check your 2070 for this issue. The factory EVGA did not have enough Past on the GPU.
Now all day long in Trainz Sessions with no more Lock Ups.
Cheers!
jjeff1955

Last edited:
Developed another problem a couple of days ago.
When in Route and Session Edit everything appears to be normal however when opening session this is the result.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rr6cj0mqv7lrt8o/No Video.png?dl=0

Ideas please

I have just opened and run a built in route session, everything ok.

So I assume that it must be my session.

Will reload from my back up cdp and try again

My service tech only installed MS video drivers so I have now loaded the appropriate NVIDIA drivers, I will leave settings at default until I have observed if it now runs with more appropriate regens.

No%20Video.png

Last edited:
I believe that I may have resolved my PC locking up after experimenting with NVIDIA settings.
I believe that the main one culprit relates to selecting my installed video card for the "OpenGL rendering GPU.
I have also been monitoring memory RAM before and after the above adjustment with the result that the core temperatures have now leveled out to the high 70's and high 80's.
Also the video regens and quality are good.
Here are the Trainz and NVIDIA settings

Trainz%20Settings%2022ndmar2021.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/el1jxrztklx5mpp/Trainz Settings 22ndmar2021.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0xgecjwez7slp0/NVIDIA Settings 22ndMar2010 a.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9si7llqih4vhuur/NVIDIA Settings 22ndMar2010 b.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j62vnboj7giuqwh/NVIDIA Settings 22ndMar2010 c.png?dl=0

I will test additional changes to the TRAINZ setting, changing items to ULTRA one at a time.

The above settings were going to be the last try to make improvements before arranging for reseating of CPU cooling module, looks like I will not need to carry this out.

As a reminder her is my PC specification
CPU: Model Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32 Gb Kingston Memory
Display Device: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER on TU 104-A GPU

Yup - For the PC versions at least, TRS19 (and T:ANE) are now both strictly DirectX games - NOT OpenGL.

Jack,
My desktop was brimming with various programs and running any versions of Trainz, just became a problem.

So I reinstalled Trainz on my E: Drive with no other support programs and then the problem disappeared.
Good luck,
Roy

I have had mine on a separate SSD for a couple of years.

I am beginning to suspect that this drive has problems. When saving my game it saves OK however when exiting and saving it often reports not enough space.

I will be taking to my PC service tech soon.

This is an update on the current situation with the extensive problems that I have been experiencing for a few months.

- decided to increase size of my C: drive to 1TB and put virtual memory back on this drive managed by Windows.
- due to continuing error messages warning that there was insufficient space to save route and session decided to replace the current 500GB SSD drive with 1TB one. copied all of the old drive to the new one and repointed the install to the new drive. Also set up with video on max settings. This drive also is where I retain all my Trainz knowledge
- video card cooling module was removed and reseated by my service tech with a minor increase in fan speed. this has resulted in CPU temperature hovering around 70 deg C.

This resulted in the best performance that I have experienced for a long while with frame rates exceeding 50.

However I raise a question concerning how much drive use is commandeered by the game during editing and running the session, in other words how much of the cache is written to the drive.

Last edited:
Back