Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Have you gotten your vaccine shot?

But, all things considered, we have lived up to our self imposed label of being "the lucky country".
    You must be living under a rock if you think it has been the lucky country or you'd know what both regional victoria and melbourne has had to endure in our now 4th lockdown and the first lockdown we endured because of the nsw premier who sent thousands of business to the wall here on the border, Hopefully my roster remains the same and I can get vaccinated in a months time as it is the only time you can get in.
    Mick.

Blog Entries

Just about every other major country has had multiple nationwide lockdowns and those that have not are setting records for COVID infections and deaths. Name me a country that has not had businesses going to "the wall" in this pandemic. Some far worse than here.

Unfortunately there are those who believe that carrying on business as normal in a pandemic is more important than saving lives.

I certainly agree that your experiences in Victoria have been terrible and your COVID outbreaks have been far worse than anywhere else in the country. But lockdowns, in the absence of population immunity, are the only proven way to beat this pandemic, and the next one.

Compared to so many others, our low COVID infection rate, low death rate and the speed at which the contact tracers have kept the virus "under control", with the aid of lockdowns, have made us the "Lucky Country".

Where we should have done better is in managing the vaccine rollout. You should not have had to wait for a month to get the shot. I should not have had to wait until 3 weeks ago to get my first shot and another 12 weeks from then to get the second.

My opinions.
    TRS19 Platinum Edition build 111951

Believe me, I wish I was living in Australia at the moment, even Victoria! Britain is now being wracked by the 'delta variant' because we didn't close our borders with India in time (because our government was looking for a trade deal). Cases of infection are rapidly rising (because it's much more infectious) and it looks like we're on the cusp of a 'third wave'. We don't yet really know if the vaccine will protect against it (the view seems to be that you need both jabs to have any real protection.) So once again, I'm staying indoors, waiting for the magic three weeks after the second jab and hoping that it'll actually work back out in the real world.

What a time to be alive!

Paul

Australia, South Australia, Christie Downs

There has been a stupid woman that drove from Melbourne to Queensland and showed up positive. This was with Melbourne in lockdown due to an outbreak. There is now a big problem to find anybody that had contact with her along that long trip. I just wonder why someone would do that.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Blog Entries

Now her husband, who was travelling with her (and he may have been the instigator of the trip) has also tested positive. But more importantly, the residents and businesses in the 4 or 5 towns where they stopped or stayed overnight in the 4 day trip are now at risk. This is what a local lockdown (e.g. in Melbourne) is designed to prevent happening - to protect residents, businesses and jobs in areas that have not been affected by the pandemic. As always, it is individuals who chose to ignore "the rules" who put us all at risk.

The only saving grace from this disaster is that the couple had the sense to use the QR identification system that is in place in businesses throughout the country to track their movements and where they stayed and visited. That gives hope that the damage, if any, can be contained.

For those who may not be aware, the QR ID system is in place in all restaurants, cafes, bars, supermarkets and (in some states) shopping malls, etc. When you enter you are required to use your smart phone and an app to scan the QR code at the door so your arrival date/time is recorded. When you depart you simply indicate on the app that you have left. The data is retained for up to 2 weeks (the virus incubation period). In normal times the civil libertarians would quite rightly have a fit over this but in this current situation they have not. The system has been successfully used to track down possible contacts of an infected person moving through a community.
    Last edited by pware; June 9th, 2021 at 07:09 PM.
    TRS19 Platinum Edition build 111951

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

Please limit your comments to your personal experiences. This thread will be closed if it turns into a political debate. We all have opinions about this subject but this thread is about sharing our experiences in the spirit of our community and not venting our anger.

William

I had my 2nd dose at Crystal Palace FC. Apparently the inoculation team's shots are on target pretty much 100%, which is a much better return than the football team's

Anyway, jabbed at 2pm, bell ringing at 8pm, so fair to say, for me, much less reaction to the 2nd jab than the 1st.

My wife and I now have had both doses of the vaccine. it was adminstered at the offices of the regional water company, which has turned over pretty much the whole ground floor (For those in the US - the first floor) to the operation. Back at the beginning of March most of the staff were military medical personnel with a few paramedics and firefighters in the crew. When it came to the second shot most of the staff now appear to be civilian NHS (National health Service) personnel with a few St Johns Ambulance personnel and a couple of firefighters. My wife was given her shot by a fireman, which made her day.

Both times I merely had a small patch which was sore, but then I have had literally dozens of shots over the years as part of my seagoing career. My wife felt "odd" for a couple of days each time, with both a sore arm and a low level headache.

With 77% of the UK adult population now having the first shot and 54% of the population having a second the vaccination program management will probably now be planning the rundown of the vaccination centres.
    No decision yet on whether there will be a booster third shot, who it would be adminstered to if they decide to proceed with it, when they'd get it or where.

Just got my 2nd dose, woohoo!

I just received my first shot.

Now to wait for all the horrifying side effects, in a few weeks conclude that absolutely nothing has happend (just as with the other 10+ vaccinations I have received over the last 4 decades) and get my 2nd shot in 5 weeks. Looking forward to it, as with this one I didn't even notice the sting of the needle.

Wife and myself had first astra Zeneca doses on wed,so far , no side effects. So far I know one person with multiple existing health issues who felt very unwell after shot, but now she's had both and is fine , my sister in law felt mildly nauseaous for a few hours, in laws wife had a headache for a day,,one guy had a sore arm, but overall everyone's still here. This includes a number of people with a lot of existing health issues and most are overweight , one of the risk factors if you do contract covid.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Had my first dose of Pfizer earlier today - although the injection was just a ever so slight sting, I'm.. something of a wuss when it comes to needles, and while waiting the 15 minutes after for observation I started feeling faint and perspired heavily. It seems it wasn't a reaction to the vaccine however, but just shock from the needle itself, as I tend to have those exact symptoms after having any kind of injection, from blood extraction to vaccines. (And judging by others also just vaccinated sitting down near me, including one woman who was shaking and eating glucose lollies, I wasn't alone feeling that way!).

20 or so minutes later I started feeling much better (having a sugary drink on hand helped a lot), and half an hour or so later I felt pretty much normal with no further symptoms, other than naturally slight tenderness on my arm around the injection point (the nursing staff at the vaccination centre naturally were very careful about allowing me to leave, only after they were satisfied that it wasn't a reaction/allergy to the vaccine). So I'm just waiting now for tomorrow to see if the real fun begins, although I have paracetemol and ibruprofen at hand if needed, and am booked in for my second dose next month.

Given that a close friend of mine in the US recently came down with COVID (after refusing to take the vaccine to boot) and ended up in the hospital on oxygen for the better part of a month, and even now after recovering still finds himself short of breath at times, the pain/symptoms of the vaccine are nothing compared to this monster. So I look on it as doing my part to help save the world (and protect not just myself but others too).

Yes I know that last sentence was a touch hyperbolic, but I still feel philosphical about being a part of helping to end this pandemic, especially after so much life has been lost already.
    Last edited by Enkidoh; Yesterday at 04:58 AM.