Have you gotten your vaccine shot?

wreeder

RGS Railfan
I'm interested in how it is going around the world. I'm in Alabama in the USA and the signup is done by an online portal system. Mostly seems to be using age as the main determining factor. Since I'm relatively young at 63, I'm still waiting.

William

My wife and I are both 66, and we both got our second shots here in Idaho on Saturday. I believe they are going to switch to 45+ soon, with those who are younger and having vulnerabilities being next. We appear to have gone from bottlenecked, impossible to get appointments, to readily available with a better supply of vaccines. Idaho is supposed to be getting the one-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine soon as well, or maybe it is already here. We managed to get ours scheduled by directly calling the Primary Health system, when we couldn't even get a reservation at the hospitals, and the pharmacies did not have it yet.

Last month, my mom got a text saying that the health department was giving out vaccines at the Dalton Trade and Convention Center, so me and my dad went up there and were able to get the vaccine using the few leftover vaccines after everybody who was 65 and had a reservation had been vaccinated. Three weeks later, we went back and got our second shot and we are fully vaccinated. There were two ways you could come at the convention center, the way from Dalton, which is a 4-lane highway and everybody would take, or across the mountain, which is is a winding, 2-lane road. It turns from a 4-lane road to a 2-lane road just past the trade and convention center. We came at it from across the mountain and were able to turn right into the convention center, while there was a long line of cars coming from Dalton waiting to turn into the convention center. That's the advantage of knowing the backroads of the area you live. Then after we got our 2nd shot we went to my Grammy's (my grandmother on my Mom's side) to recover from the Pfizer vaccine. My arm was a little sore the following day.

Last edited:
I'm a young adult in an "essential" business (although not frontline essential). Michigan seems to be quite behind in vaccine rollout... Currently you have to be 50+ AND have an underlying condition. I think at the end of the week it will open up to anyone 50+. It's actually getting to the point where I've seen people chastising others for not getting the vaccine because they're state has it open to everyone, not realizing we're not eligible yet. It's also annoying to see friends of mine who are younger, healtheir, and less essential to me (I have a piano tutor friend for example) able to get it, yet I'm stuck sitting here considering driving down to Ohio to get it.

For a state that got it's game together early on in the lockdown & has tried to be quite on top of things, it's rollout of the vaccine has been abysmal.

peter

Ok Moderator hat on now. 🧙

I'm going to let this one slide for now. But a reminder to everyone: Keep politics out of the discussion.

I am 75 and have a couple of the co-morbidities that are considered in the 'lottery' for placement in the queue. I got mine the first of the month and it gave me a mini version of my original infection, joint and muscle aches, fever, chills, brain fog and fatigue. The paperwork and release form that I got did warn me about the side effects but wowee, I wasn't prepared for all of that.

Last edited:
Yes, PerRock is spot on. Please limit your comments to your experiences with getting the shot(s) and the side effects. I think it is useful information to share. If you aren't in the USA, please share your experience too.

William

Had mine 4 weeks and 3 days ago, apart from a slightly sore arm and feeling very tired the following day, the next day all back to normal, no worse really than the flu jab. I was contacted by my Doctors Surgery who were slightly ahead of the UK programmed dates, local Vaccination centre 5 minutes away by car and was well organised.

The Mrs. and I had our first dose on 25th Feb, Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, we both had mild headaches the day after that wore off later in the day. We could have booked online according to letters from NHS but we managed to get our appointments for 1st and 2nd doses at the same time by phoning 119 (UK only) - saves multiple journeys to vaccination centre! Second dose on 13th May.

Rob.

Edit: To anyone who is hesitant about being vaccinated, don't worry, the process is quite straightforward and painless, just go for it! Save yourself and others - hopefully!

Last edited:
My wife and I got the two-shot Pfizer vaccine series. The only reaction either of us had was a sore arm after the first shot. The guy giving us that shot seemed to be aiming for the shoulder blade, as he jammed the needle in to the hilt. The gal that did the second shot, we barely felt, other than she seemed to hit a vein on my wife, and it bled, then was bruised the next morning. I have heard that the younger people can have more extreme reactions because they have a mor active immune system to react to it. No one we know had any problems.

evilcrow and wife had the first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine 29 January, second jab was due on the 26th March but now to be on 17th April.
Did not have to book on line but were contacted by telephone by the local vaccine centre. The centre being two miles away we were able to use the regular bus route to get there (The bus was nearly empty).
It was nice to have a afternoon out. No problems at the vaccine centre, all handled in a friendly efficient way. Apart from feeling a bit sleepy for a day or two (that may not have anything to do with it), no problems then.
Looking forward to the second jab.
Good old "National Health Service", they deserve a goodly pay rise and everlasting thanks.

Have the Jab !!!

evilcrow

I just got home from getting the first round of the Pfizer vaccine, thanks to the county health department's mass vaccination clinic, under my state's "Phase 2A" for those that work in high contact with the general public. So far, there's a little pain in the left arm - the "stayed up all night playing Wii bowling" kind of pain - but other than that, it was a quick and mostly painless procedure.

I go on April 7 for the second jab. I've heard the day after can be kinda rough, so I tried to schedule for the 6th so I'd have the day after off as well, but no such luck. That could make for an interesting day at work on the 8th.

Matt

Last edited:
Southwest Germany here, no one i know is vaccinated as of now. Most here, not even my 79 yr old grandma, are getting an appointment anyway. Less than 5% of the people in the country got anything as of now, and even if, its mostly the AstraZeneca one, which people dont want. 25-30% of people didnt even go to their appointment if they found out it was that one, as it caused horrible things to people who got it, so they say.
Edit: Actually, vaccination with that product was stopped immediately as of today!

Great situation, meanwhile people are getting really sick of beeing told to just sit tight in lockdown and do nothing. Registration is supposed to be by phone (no connection on the number as thousands try at the same time) or online by a code number - which didnt work as well for the 3 people trying to get one for my grandma

Felix

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this thread is to nudge people into getting vaccinated or to highlight those countries that are dependent on others for the vaccine? For example I note Italy has blocked vaccine going to Australia, and the US has by my understanding blocked exports of the vaccine. There is some debate about the UK not blocking exports, apparently it just hasn't exported any yet.

Cheerio John

Im not of the age of 16 yet, so i wont be getting a shot, my dad got it and he was a bit tired that night, but that was all. my grandparents got their shots and hopefully we will be all in the good zone for around Easter, maybe, just maybe...

I'm not sure if this thread is to nudge people into getting vaccinated or to highlight those countries that are dependent on others for the vaccine? For example I note Italy has blocked vaccine going to Australia, and the US has by my understanding blocked exports of the vaccine. There is some debate about the UK not blocking exports, apparently it just hasn't exported any yet.

Cheerio John

Actually neither is the reason for the thread, just curious about what is happening around the world. I have always been fascinated by the logistics of how large scale operations are carried out and sadly I have found that the facts as reported by the people in charge does not always match the reality on the ground. It has been a very scary time and hearing directly of other people's experiences is comforting to me and I hope to others. I believe very strongly that decisions about one's health and well being should be a personal matter and I seek not to influence anyone one way or the other.

William

We don't have coronavirus here.

Ha, I'm so envious of New Zealand! Though I assume you will have a vaccination programme?

I had my appointment for Monday at a chemist in South London. Turned up and it was closed! Apparently no supplies had been delivered. I'm trying again on Saturday. Fingers crossed!

Paul

Back