Such reflections on TRS19

peeet2005

Hello!
After many trials and tests, I would like to speak on a fundamental matter. There are a few topics I would like to raise here. The reason for this is, of course, that although we are in 2021, the experiment called TRS19 is still going on. I mean more and more new changes and "improvements" in the newest baby N3V - TRS19. Soon we will hear about an even newer version, e.g. TRS22, and the current one will remain unfinished. In my opinion, most of the changes that are made are going in the wrong direction. The functions and capabilities of the simulator are expanded, but you do not care about what is most important, i.e. stability. Nothing is as annoying as resetting the game without any warnings. This is so annoying! I remember the 2006 or later 2010 version that never crashed for me. It started with the T: ANE and the TRS19 inherited the same instability. I don't know what all the bugs that appear in the beta versions mean when loading a route, but I haven't met any where they weren't. Perhaps these errors affect stability, but where are they coming from? And why isn't the game immune to them?
Another thing is forcing some routes or additions that I will never use. Since I was buying the European version, why do I need the Australian or American ones ?? Let there be freedom of downloading in terms of the purchased version. To make matters worse, the possibility of deleting these routes or locomotives and wagons has been blocked: / I install what I want, but slowly approaching a million additions !! What do I need if I don't use half? There is DLS and let everyone choose what they like!
Another topic is the extensive possibilities of various specific features that hardly anyone uses anyway. There are of course users who will benefit from them, but leave the option for additional installation for them. Let there be a basic version and everyone will expand it depending on the needs. Probably the result of such "minor" amendments was the removal of the possibility of using the rolling stock with the Trainz Market shop. Everything was OK in SP1, so what has changed that in SP2 they don't work anymore ?? There was the alle scandal because of this, so far nothing has changed. I have been using Trainz since 2004 and I liked the simulator a lot, but the newer the version the less I enjoy it. What about various "fireworks" in the form of TurfFx, shadows or others that I do not know how I can reset even when working with CM!

Cześć Peet,
kinda feel the same here, for my main game I even went back to version 100240 before SP1, for me the best trainz ever
undo was easy, splines don't jump, carz behave, no CTD's from CM, sliders are visible.
In many posts, I suggested what could be improved or fixed, but i get ridiculed ignored, overloaded with excuses why not
and see them work on things and make changes I don't want, need or asked for.

Way back in 2004 I made a version, I called TRS2004clean, removed all .ja files and made my own clean version.
it was super fast and used it to develop my own content, considering this for TRS19 also.

Instead of protesting and feeling annoyed, I decided to just have fun with a version I really like
and keep on developing my own content in the way I want.
Trainz is meant to be fun, take our minds of current real world issues.
So please take a deep breath and try to have fun.
greetings GM

I'm glad for your support and you made me feel better. I also left the TRS19 SP1 version separately, which in my opinion still works quite well. I also have the 2009, 2010 and 2012 versions, and I use them from time to time. I take some interesting old routes out of them, modernize them for TRS19 and remember the old times. In fact, it is an interesting solution because I am not a railwayman by profession and the ride itself is not very exciting.

The problem with having local versions is when attempting to utilize some excellent route uploads, you have missing assets. If you want operate in your own universe, that's ok, But the local versions are causing problems. If you managed a large software project, you would understand the issues with having multiple versions of a product with different features. N3V is already experiencing this.

Okay, but why can't I choose what I want? Why am I forcefully blessed? I do not want Australian routes so I will not download them. I do not want historical routes, I will not download it either. If I need any dependencies, that's what DLS is for. If I'm taking the route with DLS, then along with the dependencies. Why are dependencies built in forever and I can't delete unnecessary ones? There are so many independent creators who build great routes and create a rolling stock that there is a lot to choose from!
N3V offers me built-in locomotives and carriages that are almost tragic, probably dating back to 2000, I think. Who uses it ??
I understand that N3V might have problems managing a large project, but they did it to themselves. You can have different ideas, but you have to realistically assess their value.

Last edited:
You can disable the routes and sessions in Content Manager.

1) In your filter above, click on the small arrow on the left of Installed.

2) Click on the + on the far-right.

A random category will show up.

3) Scroll that until you find Built-in, which defaults to True.

4) Repeat this and choose Category.
5) To the right of Category, choose Routes.

You'll now see built-in routes.

6) Highlight them all by clicking one and then CTRL+A on the keyboard.

7) Click on Content on the menu above the list.
8) Click on Disable.

Repeat the same for built-in sessions.

If you noticed, I didn't choose built-in content because there are many routes from the DLS that will use built-in assets such as trees, buildings, and track. It's only the routes and sessions that have been disabled.

You can always enable any routes and sessions should you want to by sorting on the built-in assets as shown above.

You can, by the way, save these search filters for future use should you want to do so.

Disk storage is so cheap now, I tend to dismiss concerns about extra assets. I suppose if you are using a 2400 baud modem, some sympathy is in order :).

Disk storage is so cheap now, I tend to dismiss concerns about extra assets. I suppose if you are using a 2400 baud modem, some sympathy is in order :).

If it was meant to be a joke, it would be weak. I suspect that you do not have a better one because I have 1Gb connectors. It is not about the fact that I have little disk space, but when looking for dependencies a very long list is created. This makes it very difficult to choose. I'd have to play around making my favorite assets that weren't too short again. I understand that it satisfies you as it is, but it doesn't me.
The most important thing, however, is what I wrote at the beginning. Too many unnecessary goodies and too little stability.

I notice you mention Beta versions which might suggest you have a membership. If this is the case your European version is a full TRS19 version and has access to all versions. This would revert to the original version if you cancel membership and all those extras would be removed. No one is forced to download routes that they don't want. If those routes are payware you can delete them from the content store on the launch screen. If you have the latest beta it is set to show assertions,

Assertions Enabled (Don't Panic!)
For these beta releases, we still have "Assertions" enabled. So, what is an assertion?

These messages are not ERRORS, but rather message indicators to provide information to our programmers about code that is running at that time. It and may or may not result in something being broken.

Looking for dependencies is not a choice of what you want, it is what the route wants and all the missing ones will show at the top of the list if you click on the status tab twice.

Last edited:
i agree with you peeet. this game has gone off the rails, pardon the pun, i totally lost control of the game with the sp2 patch. i have taken it off the computer. i keep reading the forums and i am not seeing a fix for the sp2. i really do not understand why this game seems to be wanting its customer to be college graduates in computer science. wasn't that way a few years ago. it is sad and i guess with all the money spent on payware it is now a total loss for me.
thank
you
ejb

Sadly, I think it is the way of the world, they want to cater to those who want more realism, at the cost sometimes of just having fun. I just got the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, and it has gorgeous global scenery, but it is a bear to fly. The mouse, which I used to use on all the earlier versions, isn't even an option without a couple of pieces of third-party freeware and some configuring, and the keyboard is doable if you can avoid the completely whacko rudder keys that are unrecoverable. Not fun, and I can barely make it through the early tutorials. Would rather just have fun flying! They really need "Play Mode" for those of us who don't need all the guts and feathers.

The reason for beta releases is to find any problems. The vast majority of crash bugs reported are specific to one route caused by one asset (of course this is not always the case).

Rather than making comments like "the game is unstable" or "I have lost control of SP2" what we need are the exact situations where problems exist. Again, for the vast majority of people there are no problems at all. The forums are one of the places where the people with problems report them.

There isn't a single actionable bug we can fix listed in this thread so far, so apart from getting things off your chest, nothing will change with the program.

Based upon our QA reports, and the number of crash fixes made over the past few years, TRS19 SP3 beta will be the most stable version of Trainz - but only if you report the problems you are having.
Trainz Bug Report

Regarding content, Content Store allows you to determine which items to install. Filters in the menu allow you to choose which items to show in the menu (and Favorites lets you customise the list). Content Manager allows you to filter and load items without even going into the menus.

EJB - I suggest creating a new local data folder, installing your content again by downloading using Content Store and I can almost guarantee you won't have a problem. For clarity, SP2 and the DLC content work without errors on all our systems, so any issues you are having are local only.

I don't think you are right that these messages at the outset are not errors. I recently downloaded the Central Europe v.0.99 route from DLS and these screens appear at the beginning in driver mode. But also while driving, this screen also pops up at some point and if I give IGNORE, the game resets to the desktop. Below I enclose these screens because I do not understand anything about them, but maybe there will be some who do.
error.png

error4.png

error3.png

error2.png

I don't think you are right that these messages at the outset are not errors. I recently downloaded the Central Europe v.0.99 route from DLS and these screens appear at the beginning in driver mode. But also while driving, this screen also pops up at some point and if I give IGNORE, the game resets to the desktop. Below I enclose these screens because I do not understand anything about them, but maybe there will be some who do.

{pics removed from reply}

These are assertion errors, meaning error traps in programming parlance. When there's a problem, the program stops and you get this message. What you are supposed to do is screen capture the images and then send them to the Development Team (dev team) through the bug report. Other than that, there's no way for us to know exactly what this information means most of the time.

Trainz Bug Report (typeform.com)

Fill in the details of what you are doing and what occurs with as much information as you can. Include the screen captures and other information such as the crash when ignoring the errors.

What this will do is allow the developers to see what's going on and look into the problem in detail. The problem with software that's complex is the software its self is tested basically, but due to the number of machines with different but similar configurations, what works fine on one configuration may fail on another. By having many, many people test the software through the beta testing, there's a chance that more errors will be reported and these issues can be resolved.

TRS19 SP2 turned an enjoyable route building process in SP1 to an absolute nightmare, which has seen it rage uninstalled and reinstalled more times and lost work as a result than since the first version of TANE.
Even working on a simple two or three board model layout it is apt to CTD without warning and for no reason, resulting in loss of work up to that point (the prompt on reloading to use the unsaved changes never works). Trying to work in Surveyor while simultaneously downloading from the DLS is now virtually impossible and likely to lead to the whole lot locking up.
Spline misbehaviour has been mentioned previously, as also the lack of visual cue as to whether the straighten tool has applied correctly.
Just now, working on a model, trying to move a FT straight being used as a template instead picked up an interactive station some distance away. After sorting out the resultant mess I now have what appears to be an orphaned points frog in the middle of a goods yard! Hopefully it will vanish when I exit and reload the route.

I would repeat that until the mess that SP2 has been sorted and for those of us who don't want to part with even more money to N3V for the subscription version, give us an option during install to remain at SP1.

Back