Trainz Plus and TRS19 SP3 Beta 11178x update

Paul_Bert - Have been unable to replicate your troubles with portals with consists much longer than 30+ cars in this and other recent beta builds of TRS19.
However, in the previous non-beta build (110491), I did experience issues with consists exceeding 20+ cars when one or more of the wagons was 'reversed' within the train.
Suggest check the orientation of each car in all consists bound for and emitted from your portals. (2nd or 3rd column in the portal's consist list settings dialog) This allows you to switch the orientation of each coupled car.
If they are all 'Forward' or all 'Reversed' then the portal worked correctly.

Paul_Bert - Have been unable to replicate your troubles with portals with consists much longer than 30+ cars in this and other recent beta builds of TRS19.
However, in the previous non-beta build (110491), I did experience issues with consists exceeding 20+ cars when one or more of the wagons was 'reversed' within the train.
Suggest check the orientation of each car in all consists bound for and emitted from your portals. (2nd or 3rd column in the portal's consist list settings dialog) This allows you to switch the orientation of each coupled car.
If they are all 'Forward' or all 'Reversed' then the portal worked correctly.

Not sure how you can tell by looking at a consist whether a car is reversed or not. When a train is emitted from a portal shouldn’t all the cars be properly oriented?

As I narrow down the problem it also appears that the problem is time sensitive. A train which reaches a consume portal in 5 minutes or less functions OK. A train that reaches a portal in 20 or more minutes has the issue.

I will investigate the orientation suggestion some more but again I’m not really sure how to know whether a box car in a train is properly oriented. If I have a train with 50 box cars in the consist how do you tell if one is backwards?

It is shown as either 'Forward' or 'Reversed' in the portal's setup dialog box (Direction column) for each consist. I typically have multiple consists being randomly emitted (or consumed) by any one portal, and found that very long consists (40+ wagons) occasionally fouled up emanating or being consumed by one of my portals even when there was plenty of room for them to issue entirely.
Upon investigation, (examining the portal setup dialog for the consists being generated/ consumed) that when I originally created the consist, I had one or two wagons 'reversed' from their default 'forward' orientation.
When all the cars were set to 'Forward', (or all 'Reversed') the portal derailments/ issues went away.

direction.jpg

+many more container flatcars...

Note that in the example given here (2nd consist for a particular portal) two of the locomotives are reversed and all of the 40+ container cars are set in the same forward orientation. Seems to tolerate reversed locos ok, but not a reversed wagon coupled to the 38th car!
Likely also to be a script timeout issue if the session is particularly busy with 20-plus consists busy going about their duties as is typical for many of my AI sessions.
Go figure!

Last edited:
I'm still seeing hard crashes to desktop running Driver with built-in sessions (Kickstarter Country) on ARM Mac. Previous betas wouldn't even complete database repair of downloaded assets without crashing, so it is progress. Haven't downloaded ANY assets to this new beta yet. Bug report submitted.

Thanks,
Diego

FOLLOW-UP:

I've downloaded all purchased routes & assets. Now it crashes reliably caching content while attempting to start. So basically back to where we were before.

I have not had any crashes on my ASi Mac mini in Kickstarter County. I have 16gb ram and 512gb hd. What sessions are you running? The database is fine on my Mac.

PC_Ace,
The consists that are giving me trouble are not being generated from a portal, but rather they are sitting on a siding waiting to enter the mainline and travel to the portal. So the question is how do you determine if an asset is facing forward or reversed in this situation.

I did check all my emitting portals and all the vehicles are facing forward

Had an odd error with updating from the last build to this build on my Macs. I just hit continue and it updated fine and database rebuild was quick. FPS for both Macs is about the same, though my 2014 Mac mini was lagging on the same settings for both the game and computer. I lowered all Trainz performance settings, which brought the FPS up and the computer was no longer lagging. With the previous build, my computer was not lagging. No crashing on either 2014 or 2020 ASI Mac minis.

One question I have is in profiler, some of the threads are showing with red text. Should I report those?

[FONT=&quot]Build 111781

2014 Mac Mini:

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4.2—12.9 FPS Kickstarter fossil fuel session. Computer and game were very lagging. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Shadow Quality: off[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Main Shadow Resolution: 2048[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Shader quality: low[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Texture detail: low[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Post processing: low[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Water quality: low[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Detail scenery: off[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Antialiasing: 2x[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Detail update rate: low[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Use PhysX simulation and process objects behind camera, both unchecked[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]11.6—25.8 FPS Kickstarter fossil fuel session.

2020 ASi Mac Mini:

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Build 111781[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]22.1-51.2 FPS Kickstarter fossil fuel session. Default window size[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]22.5-52.3 FPS Kickstarter fossil fuel session. Default window size, closed most other programs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15.2-31.4 FPS Kickstarter fossil fuel session. Full window size, closed most other programs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Paul_Bert -
So the question is how do you determine if an asset is facing forward or reversed in this situation.
Warning! Convoluted work-around reply... When you first add cars to a consist to save it for future use, you can rotate each wagon according to your whim before coupling it to the consist (then rotate the entire consist if you wish as well) by using the Rotate Train (R) tool from the F7 flyout.
If you then add this Saved Consist as an existing consist to a portal, you get to see the orientation of each car as it was originally created in the Direction column as shown above.
(This is one way to see which way each car is turned in a particular consist programmed in your session to be Consumed by another portal. It is not expected that you will be using the same portal to Produce the consist: - All you want to know is the orientation of the cars beforehand.)
In the image below, you'll see that I have added the same passenger coach BR Mk1 FK Blue to some track before coupling to set their orientation within the train. One I have reversed (as often happens in real practice) before coupling these cars up to the full consist. I used the Rotate Train tool on one of these passenger coaches, but if I kept adding the same coach, I would have only a 'Forwards' orientation.

Hopefully - the new 'fixes' to the way portals work will make this a null issue!

rotate.jpg

Last edited:
One problem with portals and loaded trains entering is the upward slope of the track. If the consist is loaded, weight plays a part in its arrival to the driver being assigned. I found in the past that a heavy train was slow or broke before arrival but if I entered the same train empty it would arrive as expected. Also the link between wagons may have a problem with coupling and break.

I have not had any crashes on my ASi Mac mini in Kickstarter County. I have 16gb ram and 512gb hd. What sessions are you running? The database is fine on my Mac.

It's build 111781 running on an M1 MacBook Pro 13" with 16gb RAM and 1TB flash. But there's almost no variation between any of the M1 machines so i'm guessing this applies to all fo them.

Crashing in multiple places:

1. Hard crashes to desktop during pre-caching of installed assets. This can happen if you force a pre-cache from the developer tools or if you run the game and try to use a session that loads those assets. Here's the log header for the last time that happened:
Process: Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 [13855]
Path: /Applications/Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019.app/Contents/MacOS/Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019
Identifier: com.n3vgames.trs19
Version: 1.0.11 (111781)
Code Type: ARM-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 [13855]
User ID: 501
Date/Time: 2021-03-12 12:39:27.874 -0500
OS Version: macOS 11.2.3 (20D91)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: FC8299B5-619E-FC16-98A8-1441AE8C3D7A
Sleep/Wake UUID: AC06AB24-A917-4FDB-BC25-BDA117A1A378
Time Awake Since Boot: 56000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 11000 seconds
System Integrity Protection: enabled
Crashed Thread: 27 WorkerThread::167
Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0xffffffffaf6dee7c
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [13855]
VM Regions Near 0xffffffffaf6dee7c:
--> MALLOC_NANO 6000d8000000-6000e0000000 [128.0M] rw-/rwx SM=PRV

2. In Kickstarter County 2 - Local Freight. It isn't happening immediately. Switching back / forth from internal to external views and maybe also from full-screen to windowed and it eventually occurs

3. In C&O Hinton - Thurmond Empties. Happens as soon as it tries to load. This looks like an internal app error that doesn't fully hard-crash to desktop (so it doesn't get captured in the system logs). There's no room for the whole error here, but it looks like some kind of track spline problem & the error header reads as follows:

210314.1055.49| TrackStretch:ActivateSplineCurve> Still loading

Thanks,
Diego

The problems I have on my M1 Mac Mini (8/16/512) with Kickstarter County Fossil Fuels:

1. A red bug about the TriggerCheckRule appearing sooner or later in the session: sometimes already when picking up the empty coal cars (in which case the junction leading to those coal cars is not set automatically); and at other times that red bug appears later in the session (and then that junction is set automatically).

2. The session goes awry when first entering DayDream yard - I have already submitted a bug on that (applies to several earlier builds, also for the PC).

On a brighter node: sessions in Roy's demanding CPR routes run fine: 40-60 fps with middling settings and 10,000 m draw distance.

I have solved my portal consuming issue, however without a lot of work. I still don't know why my fix works, but it does.
Many of you are aware of quantum strangeness. I call this Trainz strangeness.

Here is what I found that fixes my problem. Any train that is emitted by a portal is properly consumed by a portal. If however I have an exact duplicate of a consist that is emitted by a portal sitting outside and in front of the portal it is not properly consumed by the destination portal. The orientation of the cars is exactly the same as those in the emitting portal. Again this only happens with consists of 20+ cars.

So the strangeness is how does the consuming portal know whether a train has been emitted by another portal or just comes from just a plain piece of track.

Knowing all of this I can at least restructure all my routes to have all portal consumed trains generated by an emitting portal.

3. In C&O Hinton - Thurmond Empties. Happens as soon as it tries to load. This looks like an internal app error that doesn't fully hard-crash to desktop (so it doesn't get captured in the system logs). There's no room for the whole error here, but it looks like some kind of track spline problem & the error header reads as follows:

Thanks,
Diego

I get this error on both my ASi Mac mini and my 2014 Mac mini. I find on my ASi Mac mini, if I hit continue, two or three times, the session will load. I think this session is too demanding on my 2014 Mac mini as I get very slow loading times and I ended up force quitting Trainz.

<Snipped>

Thanks,
Diego

These errors messages are called assertions. You need to fill out a bug report

https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu

Snap a screen capture of the error message.

Put in the details, paste the image and send it off.

To get around these errors once you've reported them, is to press continue. Sometimes you need to do that a couple of times.

Thanks for the details. I had been looking for a log file on the assertion (which doesn't seem to exist). Luckily I captured a screenshot as a backup & so I've submitted that in a new bug as suggested.

Thanks for the details. I had been looking for a log file on the assertion (which doesn't seem to exist). Luckily I captured a screenshot as a backup & so I've submitted that in a new bug as suggested.

I doubt you will find anything in the logs regarding this, but report any of the assertion errors you find. The developers turned on these error traps to help them fix problems as they come up.

A platform / hardware specific feedback item. Seems to be a graphics glitch (black, concentric moire-type effect) on the new Mac version using Metal drivers, on an AMD RX580 card. Looks like it is only certain kinds of light sources creating it - can track the movement of the visual effect as lights change position (as sun changes using time in the Session Options) or orientation, eg train headlights. This occurs on any layout, multiple light sources, under the right lighting conditions/viewpoint.

No glitch, train moving towards camera:
TaTnNId

TaTnNId.png

Train reverses:
59juSE3.png

Another view:
zJD2cyJ.png

Last edited:
A platform / hardware specific feedback item. Seems to be a graphics glitch (black, concentric moire-type effect) on the new Mac version using Metal drivers, on an AMD RX580 card. Looks like it is only certain kinds of light sources creating it - can track the movement of the visual effect as lights change position (as sun changes using time in the Session Options) or orientation, eg train headlights. This occurs on any layout, multiple light sources, under the right lighting conditions/viewpoint.

No glitch, train moving towards camera:
TaTnNId

Train reverses:

Another view:

the same problem was found mainly inside tunnels with locomotive lights on
IMac Retina 5K 27 inch. - Intel Core i9 3,6 GHz 64 GB - Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB -
TRS19 111781

Back