Derailing Portals - Any that DO Work?

Portal Basic works fine for me. Ensure you have plenty of empty track coming out of the portals, otherwise, the AI will derail on junctions. I've been placing portals out on blank baseboards tacked on the route to ensure there's plenty of room for the consists to extrude from the portals fully.

With that said, I have run into some freight cars that derail coming out of portals just because such as Dave Snow's Beer Tanks.

Here is the recommended portal practices I have found that maintain decent reliability.... Each portal should be dedicated to either emission or absorption. You need to keep a "lead" (i.e. a length of track) that is featureless on both emission and absorption portals. On absorption portals, the length of the lead should be a little longer than your longest train. On emission portals, the lead should be long enough so that the simulation can comfortably assign a driver within the lead for your longest train. Have no track objects or junctions within the lead. Geographically, no track on the route should exceed the coordinates of the portal. That means if it is an eastern portal on your layout, there cannot be any tracks east of the eastern portal. Same applies for all ordinal directions.

It has been posted the SP3 beta devs are working on portals.

Last edited:
It depends what version/release of '19 you are on. That's why Beta software is beta. If you are not prepared for things to be broken don't leave your good working version until you know the new is working for most everything and released as stable. I have a "stable" install and a "beta" install and I expect "beta" to be broken.

Good Suggestions While awaiting A FIX

A set of logical and realistic strategies. Thanks to those who contributed. At leaset portals can be used with reasonable cautions.:udrool:

The new build (coming today) should resolve the portal issues (including "unofficial" support for holding the shift key, which has historically derailed things).

Back