Room size problem

Hi, all!

It is about this HO layout :

GIMP-2.png

I'm still working on the first part but eventually there will be three of them requiring 3x3 boards, hence a large room ( it will be an around-the-room layout ). I have decided to block out the currently unused parts of the boards with digholes ( C + MR Dighole 70 x 70, <kuid:243828:100744> ) but as you can see when looking at the top of the picture, there is a problem: the remotest part of the boards is still visible.

My guess is that these digholes are too far away to be "drawn" correctly and that, as their kind is "Scenery" I need to increase their drawing distance.
Problem: I have looked at their config.txt and I don't see how to do that.

Can you help? Thanks in advance.

When planning out a TMR layout you really do need to think in terms of how big a room would be in real world terms. And the other thing you need to bear in mind is whether it's possible to reach stations and goods yards at arm's length if you were a scale height person in the room. What you have there is a small aircraft hangar, - not a model railway room, - and I think that's where most of your problem lies.

Possibly, KotangaGirl, but I'd still like to know if this problem has a technical solution in Trainz. Thanks for answering, anyway.
Having said that and to show that your answer has got me thinking: I have just stumbled on something by Philskene that mentions the use of terra-forming in Trainz and shows a video of such a layout. Where can I find some docs to get acquainted with that ?

Last edited:
The other thing to consider, which I found out the hard way too, is the plans we import are fudged to look pretty for publication. In real life, someone would use the plan as a guide and fudge things to make them fit. The problem with our world is we have to take things literally so the plan says something is going to be so long by so wide and fit into a particular area, when we make the route, I mean layout in this case, we find that things aren't quite as they say they are. The biggest tell for me was the space between the aisles. On the particular route I've been working on off and on, I found that there's no way a human could fit between the space given on the plan between the middle and one side.

The other thing to consider, which I found out the hard way too, is the plans we import are fudged to look pretty for publication. In real life, someone would use the plan as a guide and fudge things to make them fit. The problem with our world is we have to take things literally so the plan says something is going to be so long by so wide and fit into a particular area, when we make the route, I mean layout in this case, we find that things aren't quite as they say they are. The biggest tell for me was the space between the aisles. On the particular route I've been working on off and on, I found that there's no way a human could fit between the space given on the plan between the middle and one side.

Thanks, JCitron, but for the moment what I'm driving at is this : today I can dream about very large, exhibition-like layouts such as can be seen in Model Railroader. If the limitations of Trainz are such that anything larger than, say, two boards, is impossible in HO scale well I must accept the fact but I need to know about it.

Well all i can offer from my own experience is that layouts two boards in size haven't given me any problems. I work in '0' gauge though and for the kinds of layouts I build that is a big layout.

Philskene would be the master 'H0' layout builder here and you couldn't go too far wrong by studying the way he does things.

You're absolutely right, KotangaGirl.
I don't know how to get in touch with Philskene, though. So I'll start a new thread, he might notice it.
Thanks for your help.

A problem that I've found with virtual model railway layouts is that baseboard edging and furniture items ("huge" to set the scene) can disappear with increased viewing distance. Maybe I should add that Ihave never made a VMR more than one baseboard in size (a room approximately 31 feet square in 1:76 scale) , the baseboard edging in question iis by itareus, and the furniture items are my own.

Ray

Back