New computer/monitor low frame rate

justinroth

Just got my new PC set up.

Intel Core i9-10900X 64 gig ram RTX 3070 m.2 PCIe SSD, 3440 x 1440 144Hz monitor

I have TANE performance settings maxed,

(full screen unchecked, no vertical sync, use multiple render threads checked, texture streaming checked, PhysX unchecked, process objects behind camera checked.

I'm getting between 15-30 fps in a pretty content-heavy large town area, hilly with lots of speed trees.

Does this seem right or am I missing something?

2021-03-08-233703.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's probably all you're going to get because performance is affected by the assets themselves. Some assets, as we know, are better than others and the worst performer will bring the overall performance down. I have found, even with my older GTX1080TI, that I've had to reduce the draw distance a bit unless I'm running a big vista-type route. There's no reason to render things that are miles out if the scene is very cluttered anyway and those objects can't be seen.

If you are running at 3440 x 1440 you are already absorbing a good part of your performance boost even before you start adjusting your Trainz settings purely by the area you are displaying. As John said its a compromise all relating to whats on the screen and being refreshed at any one time. I have found that on my setup, route for route, TRS19 seems to run a lot better than T:ANE ever did (do I really write that) and I still use both. Peter

> 3440 x 1440

roughly 5,000,000 pixels 1920 by 1080 is 2,000,000 pixels.

I don't think TANE is ready for 4K yet.

Cheerio John

Thanks for the replies. I guess it never occurred to me that having such a wide ratio would be more demanding. I've been thinking about switching to 2019 and might as well do so. I have been a bit confused as to which version to purchase. I mainly make content and build my own routes. I don't care about included content and to be honest have been a little intimidated at the learning curve to jump to making content for 2019. I'm still using a version of Blender from a few years ago and exporting to indexed mesh.

justinroth - Can heartily recommend the Platinum version of TRS2019 as being a faster performing - and better looking - version of Trainz that is a worthy successor of T:ANE Deluxe.
You'll get all of your current routes and sessions for Deluxe bundled with Platinum, plus many other new routes and sessions created specifically for TRS2019 and all the eye-candy that goes with that.
TRS19 will be supported for longer, too.
Cool news is that all of your current WIP and personal routes/ sessions will be able to brought over fairly seamlessly in TRS2019 and then developed further there with additional Surveyor tools and new camera views to make it even easier still.

Thanks for the replies. I guess it never occurred to me that having such a wide ratio would be more demanding. I've been thinking about switching to 2019 and might as well do so. I have been a bit confused as to which version to purchase. I mainly make content and build my own routes. I don't care about included content and to be honest have been a little intimidated at the learning curve to jump to making content for 2019. I'm still using a version of Blender from a few years ago and exporting to indexed mesh.

Index Mesh still works but you can now use .fbx export with 2.8 blender and play with pbr textures.

Cheerio John

Lower your monitor's resolution and I think that you will happy then with your FPS.

@justinroth You can lower your Trainz-specific monitor resolution by checking "fullscreen" and selecting a lower resolution in the Settings module's General tab. Several aspect ratios are available for some screen widths.

Last edited:
One way to improve FPS stability at the default display resolution is to set the Vertical Synch to "Half" if not already set. (Launcher, Trainz Settings - General tab).

@justinroth You can lower your Trainz-specific monitor resolution by checking "fullscreen" and selecting a lower resolution in the Settings module's General tab. Several aspect ratios are available for some screen widths.

Yeah that's always an option. When I have tried in the past I couldn't find a resolution match so everything was smashed or stretched. Now I just get black blank areas to the sides which is tolerable.

I have an RTX 2080 card, also running a 3440 x 1440 144Hz monitor, and I've found that if options for 'shadow quality' are set to 'high' rather than 'ultra', it does make a difference to framerates. I also don't max out the draw distance. I've been very happy with the performance in TRS19 Platinum.

Paul

Back