GPU Load Should I Upgrade

big_b

I running a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080T

I only play two games Trainz and World Of Tanks

I've noticed when playing Trainz in Surveyor the GPU load is around 40% and 73 deg
and when playing World Of Tanks the GPU load is around 90% and 80 deg this not in battle but in the garage

If I have them both open at the same time.Usually in Surveyor between battles the
GPU load goes to 98% and 85 deg

Does this seem normal for this GPU . I was thinking of upgrading the card to a 3070 or 3080 depending on price

Last edited:
I running a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080T

I only play two games Trainz and World Of Tanks

I've noticed when playing Trainz in Surveyor the GPU load is around 40% and 73 deg
and when playing World Of Tanks the GPU load is around 90% and 80 deg this not in battle but in the garage

If I have them both open at the same time.Usually in Surveyor between battles the
GPU load goes to 98% and 85 deg

Does this seem normal for this GPU . I was thinking of upgrading the card to a 3070 or 3080 depending on price

That's a bit much on your poor GTX 1080TI. The max temperature especially is at it's topmost range. The hardware is most likely slowing down and you are seeing a decrease in overall performance because your video card is attempting to protect its self from burning up.

With that said, I'm not sure if even a new video card can handle that kind of push especially on a continuous basis because this kind of load on a continuous basis will eventually degrade the components and eventually the video card will fail completely.

You can try speeding up the fans using MSI Afterburner which will work with all NVidia chips, or if you have the one available for your video card, use that instead. I use PrecisionX for my EVGA GTX 1080TI to keep it cool by adjusting the fans. In my case, the temperature is at 65 C max and the power load is about 90% most of the time. This is with running TRS2019 only and not any other graphics intensive application or game.

Hi,

I'd suggest the following:-

1) this is not a good time to try to upgrade a graphics card - they're in short supply & prices are high!
2) Use the nVidia control panel, and limit the fps to about 40 **
3) install one of the graphics card controlleers (e.g. MSI Afterburner/ Thundermaster) - they let you set up a more aggressive cooling fan curve - my fans will be at 100% with GPU at 70C
4) check the cooling air flow through the case - changing cases gave an old PC a 10C drop in temperature!

** I'm using an RTX 2060 - limiting the frame rate to 60 fps doesn't make any visual difference (the monitor is 60Hz) although Elite dangerous would run at >200fps, TS19 at > 60fps - this was with full power to the GPU (and sounding like a jet on take-off!)

You may need to reduce the quality of your display (principally shadows) as this drvies the GPU a bit harder.

HTH

Colin

GPUs are designed to be run at 90+%, Nvidia says so, 85°C is rather warm though. With most 1080TIs the fan or fans don't turn on until 50°C, thermal throttle point when the card starts to throttle back to stop it melting, is 84°C or should be!

My GTX 1080TI (Gigabyte Aorus) runs at about 65°C running TRS19 on it's own in driver, less in surveyor.

Probably not really a good idea to be running two games at the same time. I use a second PC for other things while working in Trainz.

Just going on World of Tanks that seems to be an excessively high temperature, may be worth checking that the GPU's fans and for that matter any other fans, are not stuffed full of dust and they are all working! If it's warm down under you may find taking the side off the case might cool things down a bit.

Unless you buy a GPU of a scalper for an excessively high price, it's unlikely you will get any decent GPU at the moment let alone a 30XX series as they are just not available.

1) this is not a good time to try to upgrade a graphics card - they're in short supply & prices are high!

That's for sure. I'd like to replace my 1070ti but the only things I can find are 2060's, and I'm not sure if they are worth the asking price.

I think before doing anything I would follow ColPrice2002 advice and give the case a good spring clean, re-route cables that are in front of fans etc. and don't just blow the dust away, vacuum and wipe it off surfaces, use a soft brush on any electronic boards and so forth. All GPU's are differed but if yours is fitted with a shroud to direct air flow, if removeable do so to clean inside, likewise if the CPU fan can be removed without disturbing the cooler. Re-assess where the computer is now sitting, under desks are not the idea location as usually they are right in the path of settling dust and often partly boxed in, similarly on deck-tops frequently pushed back against the wall allowing warm air to be recycled externally round the case to re-enter again at the front and sides. One word of warning however, keep vacuums away from cooling fans they can spin them much faster than ever intended. Peter

I would also clean everything to be on the safe side. However, 91C (not 91F as previously posted) is when the GPU will start to throttle back. Your temps are fine: quit worrying and save your money. :)

Last edited:
Hi,
My 2060 runs Trainz programs pretty well (not everything maxed out, but shadows & turfFX).
nVidia don't have the 2060 currently on their site, so I guess it's not current...

At present, all the high end of builds are using either 3070s or 16x0 cards.
There is a significant shortage - which makes me glad my 770 died early in 2020 - I had a choice of GPUs as a replacement.

Do seriously consider something like MSI afterburner. You can adjust the GPU cooling fan profile to be quiet when using Word/email and spool up rapidly as the temperature reaches 70-80C. The GPU will throttle itself as it reaches max temp, but if you can stop it reaching self-throttling so much the better.

Colin

NVidia is supposed to be bringing back the 2060 and 2060 Super as well as the 1050ti, but prices are still high even for those.

My previous post should have said 91C and not 91F. Sorry for the confusion. I'll try and go back and edit it.

Back