Trains derail inside re-rail portal

TRS17985

Hi all,

Since the last 2 updates, trains derail inside the re-rail portal while producing, while they did not in build 110491

Anyone got this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi all,

Since the last 2 updates, trains derail inside the re-rail portal while producing, while they did not in build 110491

Thanks

There are issues with the portals in general so this maybe related.

Confirm

Engine exits portal.
The attached coal hoppers appear shortly as a separate visual entity.
In a few seconds the train elements "derail"(XX).
Using the PORTAL BASIC
Build 111341

Build 111341
>>
This is an old beta, so please update to the latest.
They're looking at portals now so hoepfully sorted in the next update.

Hi all,

Thanks

Just to benchmark 110491 version portals - here is the recommended practices I have found that maintain decent reliability.... Each portal should be dedicated to either emission or absorption. You need to keep a "lead" (i.e. a length of track) that is featureless on both inbound and outbound portals. On absorption portals, the length of the lead should be a little longer than your longest train. On emission portals, the lead should be long enough so that the simulation can comfortably assign a driver within the lead for your longest train. Have no track objects or junctions within the lead. Geographically, no track on the route should exceed the coordinates of the portal. That means if it is an eastern portal on your layout, there cannot be any tracks east of the eastern portal. Same applies for all ordinal directions.

Last edited:
I can tell that in 117009, trains still derails in any Portal. So they haven't looked into the Portals...

I am afraid my friends the portal derail phenomenon carries into TRS22.

It all started with the "brilliant idea" in TRS19 to have portal internals be subjected to the rules of Trainz physics, et al. In other words, expecting what is a fictitious construct to behave according to real world equations.

In more other words, it is trouble N3V asked for unnecessarily -- portals worked better beforehand. Now the users have to to live with broken and zombie trains across two Trainz releases.

I'm experiencing random portal derailments in build 119450 causing entire sessions to stop working. Has this got any better with the latest build?

Thanks,
Paul

I'm experiencing random portal derailments in build 119450 causing entire sessions to stop working. Has this got any better with the latest build?

Thanks,
Paul
I haven't gone to the next version because it essentially removes the Dispatcher's Board feature from Trainz. See this post.

I haven't gone to the next version because it essentially removes the Dispatcher's Board feature from Trainz. See this post.
Unfixed portal issues, unnecessary changes to the map feature, HD limited to 16 textures per board, HD messing up or making it difficult to fix digholes, HD CDP route files too large to save, HD ruining DEM routes... I think I'm yet to be convinced that there is any point in upgrading from 119450.

The development of TLR is still something I'm intrigued about though.

Cheers,
Paul

My workaround for now is to finish the schedule with a 'Delete Train' command after a false stop and in advance of it entering a portal. Still get the odd incomplete consist emerging from the emitting portals, but overall that's far better than having the other end of the route blocked!

My workaround for now is to finish the schedule with a 'Delete Train' command after a false stop and in advance of it entering a portal. Still get the odd incomplete consist emerging from the emitting portals, but overall that's far better than having the other end of the route blocked!
Miraculously I have done the same in parallel.

I also now have "Zombie Train Protection" junctions located 1.5 maximum train lengths from each emitting Portal: Portal-emitted trains are programmed to be destined contrary to the default junction setting, which leads to the map trackage at large. By default the junction leads to a dead-ended track. Zombie trains, incapable of following AI commands, cannot throw the junction and are disposed of at the dead end by derailing. Healthy drivers throw the junction to the alternate position and fulfill their routing.

Miraculously I have done the same in parallel.

I also now have "Zombie Train Protection" junctions located 1.5 maximum train lengths from each emitting Portal: Portal-emitted trains are programmed to be destined contrary to the default junction setting, which leads to the map trackage at large. By default the junction leads to a dead-ended track. Zombie trains, incapable of following AI commands, cannot throw the junction and are disposed of at the dead end by derailing. Healthy drivers throw the junction to the alternate position and fulfill their routing.
Brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing.

Back