Tip: Content Manager "Thumbnail" view sorts the same as latest "List" sort

1611mac

- - . -
Tip: Content Manager "Thumbnail" view sorts the same as latest "List" sort

I just discovered that appearently when using CM manager in Thumbnail view the sort is based on the latest sort in List view. I wanted to view Thumbnails with yesterdays new content at the top. I sorted in list view by "upload date" and then switched to Thumbnail view and latest uploads are at the top, the entire list evidently sorted by date. Perhaps that's common knowledge but in 2.5 years of using '19 I didn't realize that. Various other sorts were done on different List columns and each remained as the sort method when switched to Thumbnail view.

edit: And I'll feel really dumb if there is a way to sort while in Thumbnail view. I haven't found a way to do so.

Last edited:
Don't feel dumb. There are many of us who haven't discovered these things, speaking for myself. There are many, many aspects of this program that we still discover every day with some things being more used afterwards than others.

I seldomed used Thumbnail mode as there was seemingly no way to sort. Of course, many thumbnails don't match the content so this is even more reason why content creators should go to the trouble to have nice representative thumbnails.

How nice would it be to have an option in list view to select up to like 10 items (or so) and "view thumbnails" instead of having to do each one individually (Ctrl-Shft-R) or having to switch to list view.

I seldomed used Thumbnail mode as there was seemingly no way to sort. Of course, many thumbnails don't match the content so this is even more reason why content creators should go to the trouble to have nice representative thumbnails.

How nice would it be to have an option in list view to select up to like 10 items (or so) and "view thumbnails" instead of having to do each one individually (Ctrl-Shft-R) or having to switch to list view.

Same here. I used it once in the beginning and found exactly the same issue with thumbnails. There's nothing in there, a lot of times, to match the actual asset and it wasn't worth the effort. I agree with you regarding the selection method. You may want to put that into the Suggestion Boxcar forum.

The selection method would work well if the asset thumbnail was generated from the actual mesh instead of being just a jpg file, but that's not the case.

Back