Lehigh Valley area in trainz

Hello, This is my first forum post. I've been working on my own passion project for a little while now. The routes based on the Lehigh valley area set in the 50's & early 60's. At the time several railroads called the area home. CNJ, LV, Reading company, L&NE, Ironton, D&H, and PRR. The route will span from Phillipsburg NJ and out to Reading with other lines branching off at different locations. So far I've started out of the Catasauqua area where the Ironton RR interchanged with the LV and CNJ. I could be wrong about that as I've seen videos of L&NE Alco's working the yard. The dem i created for the route didn't overlay the track so I have to follow the blue lines on the map to know where the track goes. Problem is that idk how to get the proper track height or gradient's. Also some of the lines may look inaccurate as I only have the tranzdem overlay and historic areal photos as reference. If anybody sees something i did wrong let me know please I'd like the feedback. I think thats all for this forum post. Bye :)

view_media_post
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Good luck with your project. I think the Eastern roads are a bit under represented in Trainz, with a few good exceptions. I'm very interested in the NJ/Eastern PA/Southern NY areas of my youth in the 60's and 70's, if I had any route building skills, that's where I'd model. Please keep is posted on your progress.

Good luck with your project. I think the Eastern roads are a bit under represented in Trainz, with a few good exceptions.
Yes, I agree the Eastern US is very under represented. I have some modeling skills, but I would only make good routes in Mobile. I personally wish I could make the NY Penn/New Haven section of the NEC, if I had the time and resources. However, I am planning to archive Trainz onto an external drive, so I don't know how it'll work out if I did that.

My building fantasy, or a commission if any builder wanted to tackle the project would be the CNJ and Erie Lackawanna starting at their terminals in Jersey City and Hoboken. NEC would be great too, other than Flusi's fantastic NEC work years ago, it really hasn't been touched much, understandably so.

This area is definitely under represented even with the plethora of famous railroads. In 2014 another Trainzer and I traveled down to the Lehigh Valley and stayed in Jim Thorpe. We explored the region, taking pictures of the abandoned coal operations, active yards, and talking to locals. It's sad to see what we have today barely scratches the surface of what was once in the area decades ago. There are so many abandoned ROW, not just coal branches either, throughout the region.

The problem we have, however, is building such a project. There are so, ever so many custom assets needed along with so much content in general to give the area justice. This is an issue I face working on my own small part of the eastern portion of the same region up in New England.

I grew up in Hudson County NJ, which is directly across the river from NYC. My dad would take me various spots on the Palisades overlooking the rail yards and terminals, the Seatrain Terminal, etc. That area from Weehawken down to Bayonne was fascinating. I saw it in it's last days in the 60's, I only wish I could have seen it in it's heyday. My wife and I will go back there sometimes to take the ferry over to the City and I will tell her how where all the waterfront condos and shopping areas are now were nothing but railroad yards and terminals and she gives me the nice wifey smile and says "That's nice dear"

If i recall there's only been I think two people that have attempted this area or just about there was the guy that made the NS Reading line that was on USLW and the DLS which it still is rn. Also someone named kree8tive who's route from i have seen was never released. https://kree8tivit.wordpress.com/ theres a link to his site. His route looked rlly nice. Shame he never got to release it to the public.

Need help with route

I know this is a tad silly but would anyone be up with helping me with this project. Im only 16 yrs old and this project is a massive dawnting task. Mostly need help with track work and getting custom buikdings and the like. If anyones up let me know cause i can't do this alone.

My suggestion is start with something small. "Build your brand" as a route builder and then you may get the the help with producing assets. Don't loose hope just things take time and showing skills will help you gather others to help.

Working on a route of this scale is very difficult even with a collaborative of many builders. The process also is not easy even with the new Multiplayer Surveyor that may be a resource in the future but not at the present time, but the question comes up is it worth building a route that big? Trainz its self has its limitations and so do we. If you do want to proceed, I recommend investing in TransDEM. For about $28 the program will be far more accurate than the old HOG maps ever were. TransDEM will also allow you to work in small pieces and easily, and accurately paste parts together so you can finish up an area before moving on to another.

Consider a "proof of concept" module. A few boards of a specific location along your desired route. Don't fall into the trap of sharing it too quickly. Make it highly detailed and as accurate as you can (if that's your goal.) If it is good work and it fills a need others in the community are then much more likely to offer assistance, only if even to suggest certain assets and such.

When done, share it on DLS/Content Manager and make a nice and detailed post in Freeware section about the module and ask as you did in initial post here, for advice, tips, and asset help. Also make a really nice description of the route, detailing your desire and goal.

Speaking here not as one who creates, but one who "seeks" quality routes. At this time I'm only making small routes for self to learn, test, and try. I'm humbled by those who create spectacular routes and sessions.

As for being 16, your young age is a benefit. You have many years to learn and practice and create. I just came to Trainz 2.5 years ago and I'm old enough to realize that a long term project is not for me. Just not enough time. Though retirement age I stll work "full time" doing web sites and such. Your age is an advantage. The more you learn about Trains (s) and Railroads, the better your routes.

So enjoy your age and enjoy the path you are on!

Last edited:
Work continues

I've continued work around the interchange yard at Catasauqua PA. The Catasauqua and Fogelsville railroad served the small yard to interchange freight with the LV RR. The ladder tracks where a pain to do but I got em done and I'm happy with the outcome.

I tried to attempt something like this by merging the Roon routes with blank dem that I created or downloaded. I always wanted a 50’s route through the Allentown Bethlehem Easton area and that Kree8tivit guy (Mark) never released his and he made custom buildings like stations and stuff. He made a Bethlehem to Jim Thorpe route as well on MSTS. I live just west of Allentown. Most of the rail lines near me are NS since 1998-1999, they were Conrail from April 1, 1976 after the Reading, CNJ, LV, etc. were struggling to survive and the government stepped in and formed Conrail to take over the assets. I also want to have a modern route of NS and Reading and Northern lines in eastern PA and NS and NJT in part of NJ. Maybe Steamtown (Delaware Lackawanna) as well from Scranton to Portland, PA and to Carbondale.

Last edited:
You're doing a pretty nice job so far. Gradient wise, the only way to get it 100% right would be getting old track maps from historical societies, but it isn't super necessary. If need be you can just kinda fudge it by following the map, though with the water level route through the Lehigh Gap I don't anticipate that there will be much steeper of a grade than 1%.

Loving the iconic super sharp curve at Catausaqua. They would have to put a spare brake hose between the two normal brakehoses when lashing up two locomotives to drill the yard because the sharpness of the curve would break the line otherwise. The CNJ side of the river also featured a switch stand on the L&NE side in order to service a scrap yard.

I'm working on a map I created from 1m dems, that runs from just shy of Lehighton to even more shy of White Haven. It includes a large part of the Beaver Meadow branch, including Jeddo and Eckley (my inspiration for the route). I am wanting to keep the map late Victorian era, but the availability of assets for this time period is limited. Knowing that (hopefully soon) I won't be limited by the 5 meter grid is frustrating... Anyone that would want to dabble on this route with me would be welcome (Trainz 22+). Pictured is the Penn Haven Junction area...

I'm working on a map I created from 1m dems, that runs from just shy of Lehighton to even more shy of White Haven. It includes a large part of the Beaver Meadow branch, including Jeddo and Eckley (my inspiration for the route). I am wanting to keep the map late Victorian era, but the availability of assets for this time period is limited. Knowing that (hopefully soon) I won't be limited by the 5 meter grid is frustrating... Anyone that would want to dabble on this route with me would be welcome (Trainz 22+). Pictured is the Penn Haven Junction area...

<pic removed from quote>

Wow, this will be an excellent route! Wish you the best with your project and please don't rush and take your time and many breaks to prevent burnout.

A fellow Trainzer and I took a trip down there to investigate the area. We were involved in a project together which didn't really take off. We stayed in the Jim Thorpe area and took pictures all over the area including McAdoo City, Hazelton, Leighton, and Pittston among other places. We visited the coal mine museum in and got information about the St. Nicholous Breaker. We got some nice pictures of that and a good thing we did because that's now gone.

Does that really, really steep bridge structure represent the incline in what is today, Jim Thorpe?

Last edited:
Does that really, really steep bridge structure represent the incline in what is today, Jim Thorpe?

As best as I could make it to, yeah, That's the Penn Haven Planes... there were two sets, a double track, which I have placed, and there was a set of 4 tracks next to it from a competing company. They were used to get anthracite from the mines on the plateau to waiting canal boats on the Lehigh River. I'm pretty sure they were mostly unused, if not already gone by the 1870s... Not sure who owned what at this moment, and I don't think they can be made functional in trainz until N3V decides to implement centrally-powered railways...

69745647_2472326609470529_347275211420205056_n.png

334237312_742237280936104_2149791964908157695_n.jpg

Back