Backing Up Trainz

SRKing783

''Trainz Veteran''
Hello,

Recently, I had noticed that I didn't have much storage on my computer. As I'm running a newer MacBook Pro, I cannot upgrade my internal SSD at all. (I personally don't mind using macOS, and find it perfectly fine for what I need - mostly work and Trainz once in a blue moon - quite expensive, though.) Here are my specs for my machine:

2017 MacBook Pro 15" w/ Touch Bar
Intel Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.8 GHz (3.8 GHz Turbo)
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 RAM
Intel HD 630 + AMD Radeon Pro 555
256 GB SSD + 1 TB External HDD (I use the HDD for Time Machine every now and then)

Based on these specs, we can see that my computer has a decent/good CPU, enough RAM, a dual-GPU setup (even though neither of them are good - decent at best), but has terrible storage. I made that mistake at purchase (mostly because I never thought I would take up this much storage with Trainz), and now regret it. However, I'm thinking of backing up just T:ANE and all of its files onto its own 1 TB SSD (for load times), and then delete it from my internal drive in order to save at least 50 GB of space - hopefully 100 GB or more. However, I have no idea how to transfer the app, all of its data, plus all of my installed assets to another drive. If anyone knows how to do this, as well as knowing how to remove T:ANE and its files from my internal drive (after moved over to the external drive, of course), that would be great.

Thanks.

I'm not sure how to move the application. I have moved the data folder for Trainz 2019. I'm not sure how it is different for TANE. I went in to the install settings, click on the data folder button, copied the location, open up a finder window. Within finder, open up the go to menu, either by the keyboard shortcut or by going to go menu, then go to. Paste in the data folder location and hit return. Copy that folder to the new location. You may want to copy it to a second location as a backup. Next, delete the folder at the old location. Either delete the application and reinstall or go back in to the settings of Trainz, and change the data folder location to the new location.

Sounds simple enough, really. So, based on your information, all I need to do is move the data folder to the separate drive, then delete the physical folder and then just delete Trainz. Easy enough, I guess. However, using a similar procedure, I would assume that for Trainz (the app), you would just copy and paste the app and its package contents onto the external drive and delete. (Of course, if I wanted to get Trainz again, I should just buy the latest version, but I quite like T:ANE, and would like to keep some form of installation of it for compatibility w/ content.)

You might be able to move the entire folder with the app and all. I’ve never done it, so I don’t really know. Enjoy the versions you got. I’m not familiar with TANE.

You might be able to move the entire folder with the app and all. I’ve never done it, so I don’t really know. Enjoy the versions you got. I’m not familiar with TANE.
I would just move the file to another drive and create a junction in the old place with the same name as the folder you moved. This will allow you to keep any references and shortcuts to where the folder uset to be. Easy.

Back