obsolete items removal ?

LilBilley

is it ok to delete obsolete items in my content manager that are installed ?

if they are obsolete im assuming there is a newer version being used ? maybe someone can help shed some light on this for me please

You can delete obsolete items that are Installed from DLS or modified. For whatever wisdom N3V is using, you cannot delete those long lists of obsoletes that are built-in or payware, no matter how obsolete they are. But yes, obsolete items already have a newer version in your CM, otherwise you would see something like "Newer version available". If you see that and download the newer version, then you will find the original version is now obsolete.

Definitely okay to remove them. Occasionally there are exceptions, but that's pretty rare and we have ways to revert to old versions if necessary.

If you have become familiar enough with Content Manager, I recommend setting up some filters to assist you with this. I run these daily to clean up out-of-date content which then becomes the obsolete items.

Filter No. 1 Out of Date.

Installed = True
Out of date = True.

This will list anything that has updates available. The list will vary from a few items to a lot. Sometimes there are built-in assets in here. To update, it's recommended to highlight the list of assets, and choose view asset versions. You can then highlight the list of assets available for download, and do the usual.

Filter No. 2 Obsolete AND NOT Built-in.
Installed = True
Obsolete = True
Built-in = False.

Anything that you've updated, will appear here to be deleted except for built-in or DLC assets.

You can delete obsolete items that are Installed from DLS or modified. For whatever wisdom N3V is using, you cannot delete those long lists of obsoletes that are built-in or payware, no matter how obsolete they are. But yes, obsolete items already have a newer version in your CM, otherwise you would see something like "Newer version available". If you see that and download the newer version, then you will find the original version is now obsolete.

We can't delete the built-in or payware assets because they don't exist as individual assets. These assets are instead part of a pack and the original obsolete asset remains within the package while the updated one is now an individual asset like the rest. These packages, while a different format, are similar to the old .JA files we used to have in TS12 and below.

Thanks for the explanation John. It helps to know, and I guess I could build a filter so I just don't see them.

Back