Single track E Interlocking Tower

nasice18

Hi guys,
I can't figure this out. I have this situation (S= signal)

............................. ..____S5_____________S6____
............................../ .............................................\
‐-----‐-----------S1------.................................................-------S4-------------------
...............................\____S2_______________S3___/

Hiw do I create my paths? S1-S2, S3-S4, S1-S5, S6-64, S4-S6, S4-S3, S2-S1, S5-S1, or do I do just 4 pats S1-S2-S3-S4, S4-S3-S2-S1, S1-S5-S6-S4,
S4-S6-S5-S1??
And also, do I use any TCB Detectors and where.

Thanks
Rob

Last edited:
Hi Rob;
with ITs it is generally better to have a lot of short length paths than a few longer paths. So in your case, my recommandation would be 8 paths : s1-s2, s3-s4, s1-s5, s6-s4 and for the reverse direction s4-s3, s2-s1, s4-s6, s5-s1 and use two tcbs to protect the intermediate lines between s2 - S3 and S5 - s6.

hope this helps.
regards.
Pierre.

Pierre, if I want to let my MCM resolve all paths throughout my layout, do I still need to set paths to my trains?
And No2. I did created 8 paths as per your recommendations, but in MCM, 4 paths are green, and 5 are gray?

Rob

Last edited:
Hi Rob

Paths that are green indicate that there is only one path possible from the start signal. In your diagram above paths S2-S1, S5-S1, S3-S4 and S6-S4 should show green because there is only one path available from each of those start signals.

Paths S1-S2, S1-S5, S4-S3 and S4-S6 will be gray because there are two possible paths from each start signal. A green path may not need a MC as it is the only possible choice while a gray path will need one or more MCs allocated to allow trains to choose the correct path for themselves.

Assuming that you are running AI trains, each train will need a MC set by the driver command so that it will know which paths are applicable to its schedule. Don't forget that MCs can be changed part way through a session by issuing a new one at any time. On long routes I tend to have a couple of MCs such as eastbound or westbound which are allocated to all trains coming in to the route. They keep those MCs until it is time to do something different such as enter an industry or a branch line. The MC is changed to the new one on passing a signal or junction about a couple of miles before the train leaves the main line. Doing it this way means you don't have to set a number of different MCs for paths in every tower which can become a chore if you have lots of towers and paths along the mainline.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian,
Took me a few days trying to figure out you suggestion, and I must admit, a cant make it happen. I have single line track with multiple stations between. You are mentioning universal eastbound and westbound paths. Will you please give me more details how do I go about that.
Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob

Sorry for the late reply but I'd missed your post yesterday.

Unfortunately I no longer have Tane installed and use TRS19 Platinum Edition otherwise I'd have made a basic demo route and session to illustrate how to do it.

A train enters the route at the east end through a portal or storage yard and is given the MC westbound. If it is a train that runs from one end to the other it keeps this MC until it reaches the west end of the route.

Along the route are two industries called A and B. These have the MCs "IndA" and "IndB" Each industry has a trackmark placed a couple of miles either side of it called "A Approach East", "A Approach West", "B Approach East" and "B Approach West". A train who's destination is industry A will travel along the route under the MC westbound using the driver command "Drive via A Approach East". When it passes the trackmark the next command is "SetMissionCode" "IndA".

The train will reach industry A and will take whichever path into the industry that has MC "IndA". It then carries out its schedule at the industry and when it is time to leave it will be given the MC code eastbound or westbound depending on whichever direction it is going next.

A train heading east will have the MC eastbound and would drive through "A Approach West" followed by "SetMissionCode" "IndA". Note that the same MC "IndA" is used whichever direction the train is travelling.

It is difficult to be specific with your route as there are so many variables. For example is each station just a single platform with no passing loop or are they multi tracked with more than one platform and loop etc.

I hope this helps but if it is still confusing let me know and I'll try to go into more depth with you.

Regards

Brian

Thx Brian,
I received few advices from community, I'll take a few days and see can I make it happen. What I'm basically trying to produce is. I have a single line and 4-5 stations in between where trains can pass each other. My goal is to run ai trains from both sides and that they resolve "passing problem" on their own. Problem I'm having now is that train waiting in station to go to main, single lane, lock that switch (actually EIT lock it for him), and train coming in on single line get stuck on entrance signal.
Well, never the less, it gives me something to do in these lock down days

Rob

Hi Rob

As the stations are passing loops you should be able to let EITs control the single line sections. Put a TCB on each passing siding and create a path from the entry signal into the correct leg of the first passing loop ensuring that the TCB includes the exit signal of the first path. The reason for this is that only one train can enter the single line section as the first train has control of the path through. NB I don't use TCBs in the single line sections at all.

The reason for the TCBs is so that a train can't enter the single line section unless there is room for it in the next passing loop. Repeat this set up for each single line section between the passing loops (in both directions).

One of the main reasons for getting log jams of trains is having them run too frequently. Depending on the distance between the passing loops you will have to experiment with the timings to get the best out of it. Ideally you don't want more than two trains in each direction travelling through the single line part of the route at any one time.

I've run this method on many routes with extensive single line sections without problems once I've got the timings right.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Brian

Hi Rob and any readers interested in EITs and MCM..

I fully agree with Brian, and as I have still for testing purpose an old running copy of Tane SP4 build 105766, I have gone back to this version to make a demo route in format 4.5 showing how to use EIT and MCM with single track routes.

You can download the cdp with this demo route and session at https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao4KHd0vFBWkrP1iGpHLpQ5FMVgkuA?e=04zI3b
All dependencies should be either Tane SP4 105766 base or builtin or available for download on the DLS. The link points to my OneDrive shared data and should remain available for at least 2 weeks.

The route has 2 terminal stations with 4 platforms connected by a single track railroad with 2 intermediate stations used as passing places : the first one with two platforms and the second one with three platforms. All platforms are protected again multiple assignment using track circuit blocks. Destination and intermediate stops are defined using MCPathStop dedicated trackmarks and driving from one stop to the next one following an MCM path is done using AutoDriveToMCPathStop.
The demo includes 6 trains : 3 in each terminal station and uses 2 mission codes for travelling Eastbound or Westbound and by launching the session you will see how the EITs and MCM regulates the trafic so that all trains crosses trains going the other direction in the intermediate station passing places.
There is one EIT for each terminal station and two EITs for each intermediate station (one for each eastbound and westbound direction). All EITs are dynamic, which demonstrate how dynamic ownership may be usefull to have paths from two distinct dynamic towers overlapping (except entry signals that cannot be shared) .
The signals and the rolling stock are french type available on the DLS. Let me know if I have done any error and there is a remaining missing kuid ...

And after trying the demo, if there is anything not clear and needing more explanations do not hesitate to ask here or by PM ...

Hope this demo may help. I have not published it on DLS as it needs some more scenery on it to be more realistic ... May be I will do it if I have enough time in the incoming weeks. If you want to make a copy of the route changing the signals and rolling stock to your prefered ones, feel free to do it and to try anything. This has only been made to help newcomers to understand how EITs and MCM can work and make easy to create some AI trains to populate your route ...

Regards.
Pierre.

This has only been made to help newcomers to understand how EITs and MCM can work and make easy to create some AI trains to populate your route ...

it works very well and it works in TRS19 like 'EIT DemoRoute - UK 1'. You can download it as a demo on DLS. It is also for advanced users.

En français: Cela fonctionne très bien et cela fonctionne dans TRS19 comme 'EIT DemoRoute - UK 1'. Vous pouvez le télécharger en tant que démo sur DLS. C'est aussi pour les utilisateurs avancés.

Hi,
"it works very well and it works in TRS19 like 'EIT DemoRoute - UK 1'. You can download it as a demo on DLS. It is also for advanced users"

I can't find it using the TS19 content manager! - searching for the name of the route/session.
Using TANE, it's clear that "pguy" is the Author, so searching in TS19 Content manager for "pguy" finds route & sessions for build version 4.5

Very Strange!

Colin

Hi,
"it works very well and it works in TRS19 like 'EIT DemoRoute - UK 1'. You can download it as a demo on DLS. It is also for advanced users"

I can't find it using the TS19 content manager! - searching for the name of the route/session.
Using TANE, it's clear that "pguy" is the Author, so searching in TS19 Content manager for "pguy" finds route & sessions for build version 4.5

Very Strange!

Colin
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...ck-E-Interlocking-Tower&p=1862887#post1862887 that the link if you can read :wave:
You can download the cdp with this demo route and session at https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao4KHd0vFBWkrP1i...VgkuA?e=04zI3b

Back