assigning products to rolling stock in 2019

dangavel

Ok, I just cant get the hang of assigning the products from industries to specific rolling stock items in 2019, I'm using NG flatcars and a lumber loading asset, although one of them will load logs form my sawmill, none of them load anything from the lumber loader and all I can see is a unreadable product list hovering around above the industry . When i got o build the product list it will not build no matter how long i wait. I read the old thread about corrupt products possibly messing this up, but that was two years ago, is this still the case and if so, surely its such a vital item that it should have been fixed by now ? ( ha ha, ho ho ho what a silly assumption !!!!!)
Is there any way to find out what products have already been assigned to rolling stock and if so how can the items be changed ? also, i assume some cars just cannot be loaded for various reasons ? I have not really bothered much over this as in TANE I normally just apply the instant load command , but I've noticed that when I do that some cars just remain empty and I would like to know how to make them load if its possible.

Last edited:
Instead of InstantLoad, use InstantLoadAtFocus, at least for testing. It will show you all the products configured for that vehicle.

Insofar as editing the cars, use the config file There is an allowed-products category as well as actual load capacities for the products configured.

Instead of InstantLoad, use InstantLoadAtFocus, at least for testing. It will show you all the products configured for that vehicle.

Insofar as editing the cars, use the config file There is an allowed-products category as well as actual load capacities for the products configured.

Thanks, the only prob is, editing the config file wont allow any other users to do the same if one created a session would it ? The Ben Dorsey drgw items could be changed as they can be reskinned, so I may try them out.

I use CM to list commodities, then click on one and choose List Dependents; that will show if any freight cars have that product assigned. Also, if you list rolling stock in CM, then click on one and choose List Dependencies; that will show the products assigned to that car. If the car has no commodities listed, it won't load anything.

After that, it is a guessing game and trial and error to see if a car will load a product by adding it to one of the lines (plus sign). I try to match up products on pallets to cars assigned to load pallets, bulk items, etc. In surveyor you can usually see whether a product will fit.

I use CM to list commodities, then click on one and choose List Dependents; that will show if any freight cars have that product assigned. Also, if you list rolling stock in CM, then click on one and choose List Dependencies; that will show the products assigned to that car. If the car has no commodities listed, it won't load anything.

After that, it is a guessing game and trial and error to see if a car will load a product by adding it to one of the lines (plus sign). I try to match up products on pallets to cars assigned to load pallets, bulk items, etc. In surveyor you can usually see whether a product will fit.

thanks a lot.

You're welcome, DG, of course, and thanks so much for all your contributions.

I'm too new/unskilled to actually contribute with creations, but I have experimented a lot with interactive industries. It may be an unfortunate obsession.

Will you list the industries and freight cars you are working with?

Learn something everyday with this program even after 10 years. Great tip on the dependencies in CM. I had a different approach. I put all my commodities on rail cars to have something visible and save time onto one board sorted by ABC's. I also upload to the CM.

Shot of 30ng flats on Timber Ridge; the 30ft needed to have Lumber added on the line with 1 item load. It seems that the first 'Lumber' listed when product is chosen is a blacked-out icon, the second 'Lumber' is the one that works and is produced at one of the sawmills.
PgTjzkH.jpg
[/IMG]

The program that executes with the "+" sign under vehicle properties just shows possibilities. There may not be proper attachment points for a particular product that is chosen.

the only prob is, editing the config file wont allow any other users to do the same if one created a session would it ? .

Correct, and that is the challenge of creating sessions for uploading. I was only answering part of your question. A particular challenge with narrow gauge.

Lost conn before finishing..

Above, General Goods and then Manufactured Goods in Drums on Pallet added on the line, a steel NG flat with Mack Dumptruck added, the other General Goods and then Manufactured Goods in Crates on the same line as Lumber (2 items). Who put that bus there?

My Trainz Skillz are not advanced enough to go beyond the built-in tools at this time. Sometimes even if the product loads in Surveyor, it may not load by interactive industry in Driver. As always, YMMV.

all very useful will try it out today. thankee kind sir ! i will also try the lumber plant on soem other rolling stock configured to accept lumber to see if it actually works.

Correct, and that is the challenge of creating sessions for uploading. I was only answering part of your question. A particular challenge with narrow gauge.

i could reskin Ben Dorseys URY flats into DRGW or a logging company livery and put them up on DLS ( have to check if they are 3.5 build.) then they would be able to be used in particular sessions.

yep Bens URY flats are build 3.7, tried one out and they work fine with the Auran lumber and lumber loader ,I have a 3ft to standard gauge transfer platform at Glencoe so will try that next. I'll produce a few of the flats to use with the route and assign a few local industry products to them .

Back