Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharing Environments?

Blog Entries

Default Sharing Environments?

I have to admit, I find the Environmental Controls bewildering and tedious. Is there a way to copy an environment from a session that mat be especially nice so it can be quickly added to another session or any tricks to make setting environments as painless as possible? For example, I really like the environment in the "Threatening Skies" session on the Lafond route, it's dark and stormy without any hint of sun and I'd like to be able to add that to sessions.

Barring that, are thee any good "For Dummies" guides on using those damned dials?
    i5 8600k 4.4 GHZ-ASUS ROG STRIX Z370E-MSI GTX 1070ti
    16GB DDR4 2666-Samsung EVO 850 1TB SSD
    US Army 1978-84

They just simply screw that...

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

The dials are awkward, to put it nicely, and it would be much better if there were some numbers we could enter into small boxes. This subject was brought up ages ago, but nothing happened not only for the environment, but also for asset heights. With enterable numbers, we have consistency, which is what we want in this case.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 109641

You'll find this very helpful
    https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/y4J2Rl
    Tony Hilliam

Got questions about TRS19? Click here for TRS19 FAQs

Looking for answers to in-game functionality? Click here for help

Blog Entries

Thank You, Tony
    US Army 1978-84

Blog Entries

Unfortunately, as good as the tutorial is, it does not answer the original question about copying environments from one session to another. At the current time you cannot easily transfer environment settings between sessions - a feature that has been requested for some time now.

The only ways I know of are:-
    1. manually recording each setting, noting the problems with assigning a value to some dial and slider settings, and re-entering those values into each new session.
    2. create a "dummy" session with the Environment Settings configured to your liking and use that session as your starting point for every new session. This will require you manipulating the kuid values in config.txt files. I have not tried this but it "sounds feasible"
    TRS19 Platinum Edition build 111951

Adding to the difficulty is the overall glare or over-brightness affecting any Environment setting in TRS19. It's difficult to obtain anything that looks realistic. The closest I can get is to make it a cloudy day, with a cloudy sky and shadows turned off to match (which must be done elsewhere than in the Environment controls). Even then, everything looks too flat and washed out.

Why does N3V have these seeming blind spots to fundamental improvements needed to their product? The Environment controls have always been inadequate despite there being many better models for controlling colour and shading to be found in all sorts of other software, from the firmware in monitors & TVs to that of photo editors such as Photoshop. And when N3V do change the lighting, with a new iteration of Trainz, they now make it worse! T:ANE lighting, despite the inadequate Environment controls. can be made to look far better than TRS19 with the very same route.

In a simulator, the light and colour are surely a fundamental aspect. Why so poorly done then?

Lataxe

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Murrysville

Perhaps there needs to be a good base beyond N3V, I use television streaming. It is best to find a studio setting (Covid remotes are not good). Adjust your monitor's settings and use something like the nVidia setup software to get a good base live TV picture (local studio news is good).

THEN follow Tony's instructions. It is possible to get a good picture of TRSxxxx. A baseline is necessary. I built a 21inch color TV from a kit of parts. I had to setup the TV set with no test equipment and deal with the drift from vacuum tubes aging. I never put the back on the set and kept a set of tuning tools handy. I received a lot of flak but I always had a very good picture. Today, with digital set once and forget. That is, if N3V will give us digital settings. Should not be too difficult. Provide re-settable number boxes next to each dial.

Tony's reference to the instructions were helpful. My black shadows are now a medium grey/gray.
    Dick near Pittsburgh, Pa. i5-2500K 4.2ghz, 8gb memory, GTX1060 3gb video card. 111831

Blog Entries

This topic has been argued endlessly in these forums and I doubt that no matter what N3V does (or does not do) it will never satisfy everyone.

Personally, I have no problems with the default lighting and other environmental levels in TRS19 and I seldom need to adjust them.

A significant factor to consider is role that differences between different monitors can play. Back in the days when I had a desktop computer and two monitors to attach to it, the lighting in a route could look good on one monitor but was noticeably "less good" on the other. I could adjust it so that it looked good on the second but that affected its appearance on the first. So if, as a route/session developer, I create a layout/session with what I think is good lighting and other environmental controls on my monitor, I cannot guarantee that it would look the same on another users monitor.

My thoughts.

Blog Entries

Good points on the monitors. I am trying to get mine somewhere acceptable for Trainz. It's an ASUS VG278Q. It's overly bright out of the box in general, it has half a dozen Gaming profiles that I've been tinkering with with mixed results. I may go shopping for a new one since I can't spend money on a new GPU at the moment.

I do think the lighting in 2019 is better, I found TANE to be VERY bright and washed out, so there's that. Thanks for all the replies, my original question has been answered. I do think it would be a nice feature, if it could be done without breaking a half dozen other things.
    US Army 1978-84

A tip for Mac users:
    To quickly and easily change brightness and gamma, find a "Gamma Correction" tool in the App Store and use.
    (Apple long ago "dumbed down" the monitor calibration tool. It allows you to set a "white point" only)

As for environment - I'll just say that it's a shame that there are customers out there running sessions that have very very poor lighting and they are not even aware of the environment settings and that's a real shame.
    Greg
    TRS19-Gold Plus-110491, Plus Beta-111951
    WIN10 GTX 1060-6 Windforce
    - also OSX installs: iMac, MBP

The tutorial Tony pointed to is certainly a step in the right direction, but most of us had to figure all of that out on our own when TS2019 was first released and even then judging by some of the TS2019/TRS19 screenshots that get posted a lot of Trainz folk have never heard of that tutorial or else are still struggling to master the environmental controls.
    Making statements such as, 'Personally, I have no problems with the default lighting and other environmental levels in TRS19 and I seldom need to adjust them,' - doesn't really help those who are having problems. I could just about say the same now that I've almost mastered the dark art of making the environmental lighting do anything other than the default stark harsh 30 seconds before the earth burnt up type supernova lighting, - but that would involve me denying the months of upset and depression involved in me learning how to tame the blasted thing and get it to reproduce a soft English afternoon. And even after all that careful adjusting from certain angles the harsh flash of supernova light will still sneak in.

I do agree about monitors making a difference though. I have a professional grade NEC monitor that's very good and that certainly does help with colour reproduction.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

Our monitors are not making us to see Trainz in bad colours for sure. This subject is not about monitors calibration, not about desperate TRS19 shaders and not about HW manufacturer's display utilities, it is about us unable to duplicate environment settings precisely, about us unable to copy it and about us unable to set it more accurately, it is about us unable to not waste time with environment settings pain. I am not even mentioning the post processing settings, which can't be switched fully off and which can't be saved in expert mode. Little bonus of this discussion is link to so far very little known tut....

That environmental lighting tutorial link needs to be a sticky post on the TS2019 pages. It needs to have a link on the TS2019 store pages as well.

Our monitors are not making us to see Trainz in bad colours for sure.
    Oh I agree. All a good monitor does is reproduce colours accurately so you don't have colour bleed and drift to contend with while trying to set up the environmental lighting.
    Last edited by KotangaGirl; March 1st, 2021 at 06:57 PM.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KotangaGirl View Post
    Making statements such as, 'Personally, I have no problems with the default lighting and other environmental levels in TRS19 and I seldom need to adjust them,' - doesn't really help those who are having problems.
    I disagree. All too often we get posts along the lines of "because I am having a problem with XYZ therefore everyone must be having the same problem and N3V needs to fix this immediately". It is important that a contrary view or opinion be made known or these forums will become an echo chamber for those who have a mono view on everything.

I did preface my comment with the word "Personally".