Updating Pofig?

There was another thing I wanted to mention on this as well. I too was interested in making some new trees to fill in the North American species. I took a look at IDV, the company that makes Speed Trees. The intention was good, but I never got any closer. The software to start with is quite expensive to buy, however, it's also offered on a rental basis, meaning a subscription. This is fine if we could use the current creations. The problem is there is no export support for older versions, meaning the current one we're using, and they only support their current release which was V7 at the time. This means even if we got into making our own trees, they wouldn't work anywhere else because there's no support for us in V6 and there is also no upgrade path from V6 outside of starting over again!

This is exactly the same issue that N3V ran into when they upgraded from V5 to V6 when going from TS12 to TANE at the time and why we're in the predicament we're in now. This is great for those locked down games where the developer controls the development of their products and not the community, but for us we're at a standstill until something else comes along that's better, or if there's some form of upgrade path.

So much for that idea!

I don't know if this will help, I put some lists together from forum too.........About a year ago.

Row "A" "B" "C" "D" "E" "F"

Russian (RMM)Russian (Pofig)EnglishNederlandsDeutschFrancais
derevo (misc)Dtreeboombaumarbre
AkaciaAcaciaAcaciaAkazieAcacia
BerezaBBirchBerkBirkeBouleau
BukBeechBeukBucheHêtre
DtDead treeDode boomToter BaumArbre mort
Dub
DblOakEikEicheChêne
EgevikaBlackberryBraambesBrombeereMûre / Ronce
ElkaSpruceDenFichteÉpicéa
EvkaliptEucalyptEucalyptusEukalyptusEucalyptus
GrGrGrassGrasGrasHerbe
Gr_rogozGrass CattailGras LisdoddeGras, RohrkolbenHerbe Quenouille
GrushaPearPeerBirnePoirier
IngirFigVijgFeigenbaumFiguier
IvaWillowWilgWeideSaule
KamishReedsRietSchilfRoseaux
Kashtan1ChestnutKastanjeKastanieChâtaignier
Kashtan2/3/4Chestnut (Horse)KastanjeKastanieMarronnier (d'Inde)
KatalpaCatalpaTrompetboomTrompetenbaumCatalpa
KedrCedarCederZederCèdre
KiparisChyCypressCipresZypresseCyprès
KlenKlMapleEsdoornAhornÉrable
KustK, Ks or KtBushStruikBuschBuisson
LavrLaurelLaurierLorbeerLaurier
LipaLindenLindeLindeTilleul
MagnoliaMagnoliaMagnoliaMagnolieMagnolia
MandarinMandarinMandarijnMandarineMandarinier
OleandrOleanderOleanderOleanderOléandre
OlhaAlderElsErleAulne
OrehWalnutWalnootWalnussNoyer / Noix
OsinaAspenEspAspeTremble
OsokaWater soldierZeggeWasseraloeCarex
PalmaPalmPalmPalmePalmier
PersikPhPeachPerzikPfirsichPêcher
PlatanPLPlanePlataanPlatanePlatane
RiabinaRowan (or Ashberry)LijsterbesVogelbeereSorbier
SirenLilacLilaFliederLilas
SosnaSPinePijnboomKieferPin
TopolPoplarPopulierPappelPeuplier
VinogradGrape vineWijnrankWeinrebeVigne
VyazElmIepUlmeOrme
YablonyaAppleAppelApfelbaumPommier
YasenAshEsEscheFrêne
AbhSmall seriesKleine serieKleinere GewächsePetite série
E or ElFirZilversparTanneSapin
TThujaThujaThujaThuya

just using this now, invaluable.!

Regarding the Midwest Grain and other JR routes, I would think it would only take one person doing bulk replacements in TS12 to replace them in a day, but that is apparently too much effort for JR. I don't have ts12 or I would do it myself. My only option is maybe trying to clone rmm trees to the pofig KUIDs, but I have had problems with that in the past, and it is a lot of work for a long list of pofigs.

With respect, I have replaced the trees on almost all my versions of the TS12 JR Routes, and it honestly takes a good 8-22 HOURS to replace JUST the trees depending on route size, using Bulk replace, for EACH Route ... At times, it takes nearly 20 minutes just to FIND that ONE hidden tree out in the wilds .. Most of us do not spend a whole 16 hour day on ONE rework in one sitting, so it actually took more like 3-4 days of editing at 4-6 hours a day for EACH route.

I made up a one baseboard "Route" in TS12, that holds all the Trees and Shrubs which work in TANE and look good, most are the "Forest" series, "Forest Summer" and "Forest Autumn" by BBF11 (kuid:173000) .. (NON-Speed tree, but very nice looking in TANE and TS12) ..I merge this one baseboard to the Route I want to replace trees on, and then I can compare the "looks" of each replacement as I go. I also delete each tree as it is used, so I do not accidentally replace 10 trees with one replacement tree.

If one were to want to really be OCD, you would need to keep a note pad on hand, and write down which trees you replace with which other trees, so you could do the same on the next route ... I have not, because after two solid weeks of long days, I got burnt out on "just replacing trees", and I do not do this as a Job .. I once tried to just merge all the JR routes, and then replace all the trees on ALL the routes at once, but realized after 3 days, that I did not like the order they were merged .. now you have the choice to start from scratch, or try to "delete" everything back down to ONE of the original routes, over and over, FOR EACH original route... ugh.

I made a substitute asset for Profig's trees, colored to the type, tree, bush, grass. I use Profig's kuids so that they will show in game and then do a bulk asset replace. I cloned a sound stick as a visual substitute.

John

Thanks John. I considered cloning some newer trees to the pofig KUIDs, but there are a lot of them, and it is a lot of effort. I deleted the routes. I think I have more than enough other routes to enjoy, and if JR no longer has any interest in them, then I guess I don't either.

Back