Importing Content into Platinum

gisa

Routelayer Ordinaire...
Hi Everyone,

I'm sure this has been asked multiple times, but I can't seem to find the answer to this. @@ I recently ditched the 2019 regional edition (don't get me started on it...) for platinum and want to move over my content. I've noticed it's all .tzarc files and I can't import them directly, either through dragging the folders over or using the import folder option in Content Manager. What would be the best way to import the content?

Thanks in advance!

Gisa

Don't bother with built-in or DLC assets. The DLC has to be downloaded again and you do this through the Content Store.

You can copy and paste the .tzarc files into the editing folder for your new TRS2019-Platinum version then run a DBR. This will import the files.

The other way is using Content Manager and export what you want to keep, such as your own content, to CDP files and import those.

In either case, I recommend boosting the size of your Windows page file because you'll be doing a lot of Content Manager stuff and that will help to prevent crashing.

Did you delete the data folder of the regional version? If not you should be able to redirect the install path to it and do a DBR.

Don't bother with built-in or DLC assets. The DLC has to be downloaded again and you do this through the Content Store.

You can copy and paste the .tzarc files into the editing folder for your new TRS2019-Platinum version then run a DBR. This will import the files.

The other way is using Content Manager and export what you want to keep, such as your own content, to CDP files and import those.

In either case, I recommend boosting the size of your Windows page file because you'll be doing a lot of Content Manager stuff and that will help to prevent crashing.

John, you are seriously awesome. If N3V doesn't pay you, they should!

I have 2 questions for you.

1. The .tzarc files are all in folder hashes (e.g. hash-00). I put the folders into the editing folder, ran a DBR and nothing. I did notice if I put in the .tzarc files directly that it seems to work. Rather than go through 250 + folders to pull out the .tzarc files, is there an easier way to copy them over or to force trainz to dig into the folders when it does the DBR?
2. I assume the original folder is the built-in/DLC assets you mention? I noticed it's about 70 GB on my end. Would it be worth importing (or is it even possible?) I've downgraded on my ISP and downloading isn't as fast as it used to be for me. :(

I did boost the page file by about 3 GB. On top of the 16 GB memory installed, I think/hope it should suffice?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it (and hope it helps others too).

Mr. Gisa

Did you delete the data folder of the regional version? If not you should be able to redirect the install path to it and do a DBR.

I missed your reply. Thank you for replying. I thought about that, but it was in a different directory. I think I tried pointing to it without luck but I remade the path in the Platinum Installation and am going from there.

Gisa

Interesting hiccup I ran into which I wanted to point out for anyone else going down this road.

So as I mentioned, when I put the folders in, the DBR doesn't work (has to be direct .tzarcs in the editing folder). When I tried it, it seemed like the folders completely disappeared (I have an older backup) but I was surprised. Then I searched in the backup folder and found them there. So I started pulling from there by cutting the .tzarcs and pasting them into the editing folder.

I realized, I had set 2 backups and that it was taking a long time to import/back up. Plus, I have limited room on that drive, so rather than simply delete as I go, I thought I could just turn off the backups and put 0. My assumption was that it would make no more backups. To my surprise, it actually deleted everything in the backup folder! @@

Thankfully, I run piniform recuva and am recovering the files now. Quite the adventure so far!

Lesson here: don't modify your backup folder to 0 if you have stuff in it that you don't want to lose!

I've decided to do about 10 folders worth (about 1500 assets) at a time. It takes substantial time but it is reasonable in case I need to do something else on my computer.

Should take me about a day lol to do this but then I'll be good to go for some time, hopefully!

Gisa

Have you tried the settings/install and setting the path to the original build folder of the regional version? You can also just copy the build folder from regional one and paste it to a new location and set the path to it. 2019 regional version uses the same folder system as 2019 Platinum so should be able to be used in any TRS19 version that is equal to or newer than the regional version.

In addition to the mistake I made when purchasing the regional version, I also got the Steam version as well, which put things in different places. At this point, I'm just importing them as I go. I have about 250 GB of content, so it takes time, but I'm in no rush.

This will likely be the last version I buy for a while though! :)

Gisa

In addition to the mistake I made when purchasing the regional version, I also got the Steam version as well, which put things in different places. At this point, I'm just importing them as I go. I have about 250 GB of content, so it takes time, but I'm in no rush.

This will likely be the last version I buy for a while though! :)

Gisa

I apologize in advance but I just have to ask. What did/do you hope to gain by buying all these? Why a Steam version when you already have version. Why a Regional Edition when you already owned TRS19? It sounds like you have 3 of the same thing. Is it for the different content? I'm just trying to understand as I've seen this several times. People buy Platinum and then buy a Regional edition, etc. That's like buying an expensive book again just because the publisher thows a new cover on it. Well, kind of. :)

I apologize in advance but I just have to ask. What did/do you hope to gain by buying all these? Why a Steam version when you already have version. Why a Regional Edition when you already owned TRS19? It sounds like you have 3 of the same thing. Is it for the different content? I'm just trying to understand as I've seen this several times. People buy Platinum and then buy a Regional edition, etc. That's like buying an expensive book again just because the publisher thows a new cover on it. Well, kind of. :)

No need to apologize but I would suggest reading my original post. As I had written, I had the regional edition but it had issues in addition to being completely unplayable after the second patch in December (kept crashing during a DBR). I just originally bought the regional version on steam as it was a good deal at the time and had what I wanted. Unfortunately, having it is like driving a car that can't turn left. It's possible to use but kept crashing because I had downloaded routes made by others that used payware? content in the full version.

Believe me, on a matter of principle, I would not have purchased it. I even tried to get a refund on steam but that's impossible after a select about of time. And I figured life is short and I do enjoy trainz when it w all actually works, of course. So I bought the stand alone platinum version to get around all these problems.

BTW, in importing some of the tzarc files, the DBR crashed again. At least I know roughly which area is causing the problem and will try to hunt down the offending file later. Hopefully, it's something I can re download again. On figure I'll be back up intob trainz again in a week at this rate lol

Stay safe!

Gisa

In your original all you said was that you "ditched the regional edition" without saying why. That's why I ask. I'm not being critical at all. I'm just the type who likes to understand things.

Looking at your timeline you likely know all this (you've been Trainzing far longer than I) but I'll say for others who may read:
TRS19 is basically TRS19. The content and features you have depend on the "edition" and/or the "subscription" you have (Gold, Silver, Plus) etc and what "patch" (release) you update to. The Regional edtions are "Platinum" but with different routes. So if you already have/had "Platinum" buying the Reginals gets you the same TRS19, just different routes. It may be a different build number at different times but you can update (or not) using the appropriate Patch/Update streams.

Actually, in my mind, Platinum is just a "label" that was given a particular TRS19 build (UDS) to sell more copies. N3V at some point could name the next release "Titanium" but it could be just the "next" version release and it is still TRS19. "Titanium" could be sold for a year and then everyone gets to update to it. It's all marketing.

Thanks for the wish to stay safe. You do the the same. I had Covid back in November. Kept me in bed solid for 3 weeks that's nothing compared to what some go through. I am grateful and blessed.

Last edited:
No worries, Greg. I'm far from being a genius but would definitely not buy a regional edition if I had the platinum to start. I like to understand things too and should have been clearer.

One thing to clarify with a regional edition is that, if you download a route made by another who uses assets in a route from a different region/the full edition, one would not have access to that content. I don't know why N3V has failed to address this (simply make this content downloadable but not usable in a route). It led to stability issues and frustrations galore.

Very sorry to hear you contracted Covid, BUT super happy you got through it. I can't imagine how brutal it could be if it goes south. I work as a teacher and wonder if I will get it at some point as well.

Here is the latest update about my struggles getting content in :D
- I tried doing about 20 hashes/folders worth in a go but have had CTD issues with it. I find it much more stable with 10 hashes.
- After a CTD of doing too many, there is no way to do a DBR without doing the following (thank you, John - you are a LIFESAVER!):
have to delete assets.tdx, asset-cache.tdx, and all the content in cache/internet and cache/libraries ----

I'm getting there. I don't have a monster computer but it's not 20 years old either and with 3 GB of virtual memory, 16 GB of memory and a relatively stable computer, I know there is an issue in the coding with this patch, since I've never had these issues in the past with other versions.

At this rate, I will be done by next week lol. I try to do a batch overnight, just before I leave for work, when I get home before dinner...it'll get done though!

Thanks all for your help!

Gisa

if you download a route made by another who uses assets in a route from a different region/the full edition, one would not have access to that content.
you mean a freeware route, correct? All Payware should of course have all assets.

I got tired of fighting that. I joined "Gold/Plus" and put in a 2TB SSD just for gaming assets. I have downloaded every Payware Route and almost all consists and loco's available from the Store. A lot of my "missing assets" on freeware routes went away. I have surmised that though I am interested primarily in Amercian Diesel a lot of the quality (N. Amercian) freeware routes use content found in quality European/Asian routes, both Freeware and Payware. My looking for freeware assets on "foreign" websites is a LOT less.

I figure a GOLD subscription was about the cost of going thru a Fast Food drive through one time monthly. Well worth it for me personally.

Sorry for the late reply. Been busy and finally got all my .tzarc files in. Then I had about 1500 missing assets. I have whittled that down to 58. Some of it is from payware content though. Others are KUIDS that others were looking for, which were temporarily found and then have disappeared. I'll post on the missing KUIDS thread in due course. I did manage to reinstall TANE, exported a .cdp, and reimported it to solve 1 missing asset issue though.

You are absolutely correct (I meant a freeware route). Your solution makes sense and while I have a 1 TB backup drive for content, I'm thinking of purchasing a bigger one just in case that goes.

For others about to take the plunge, I highly recommend others have:
- at least 2 different backups in different locations and that
- the backups should be .cdps ideally. The .tzarc import/rebuild was frustrating at best and I had to brute force DBRs at least 5 times along the way.

Now to hunt missing KUIDS...

Gisa

Back