Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Driveable Ships

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have been working on a Kilo Class, driveable. It submerges, has an interior, periscope view and fires torpedoes, nearly finished.

Ian
    Another cool model of you.

Javier

Quote Originally Posted by fant_autentico View Post
    You cannot modify the spatial situation of the mesh.
    Hm, I was afraid of that. The way they are done, each ship (depending on size) would require its' own track, as some will have to be lower than others. I really wanted to stay with the unofficial convention of setting the track at 3m above the water level so all ships sit correctly and could use the same invisible track. Think I'll just have to accept it the way it is.

I've also been thinking about adding different external cab views as per locomotives, so that forward footplate views on each side could become bridge wind positions. How they do that I don't know but doesn't use attachment points so I might have to forgo that idea as well.

I've worked out how to attach crew to the decks, although limited choices and I'll have to ask bobsanders if I can use his 2(?) Royal Navy crew members. What I am wondering and not finding a solution to, is using an invisible interior to arrange different (cabin/bridge) view points, such as on the wings of the bridge or the bow even. Any ideas out there?

You could add a.outsideview attachment points (see https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/...achment_Points) to the mesh of the ship.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I'll have a look.

Edit. Now working
    Last edited by Alikiwi; April 18th, 2021 at 06:56 PM. Reason: extra info

To match a ship's height in the water to any existing invisible track, can you not simply add a 'position' line in the config.txt with the height component matching the required height of the track given in the description? For instance, if the suggested height for track is 6.5 meters below the water, add the 'position' line as follows if your actual track is set at, say, "0":

{
    mesh "Ship.im"
    position 0,0,-6.5
    auto-create 1
    }

Adjust the position line to match your actual existing track depth. This works for me with most driveable ships.

ingha
    Last edited by ingha; April 19th, 2021 at 02:19 AM.

Thanks Ingha, that actually works. The suggested convention is to set the track at +4metres and given these ships vary widely and don't all have the Y and X axis at the bottom of the hull, my first one had to be set at -10.5 metres. At least now I have a convention where I'll set each according to needs and I can state in the config file to set the track at 4 metres if the water is at 0 or in my case -0.1m which is barely a noticeable difference. Thanks.

The bottom of the hull is not always the waterline as some hulls go below the waterline. On most ships, a red or black hull will show only a small part above the waterline, have a look at some of the ships on the DLS. Your post #26 shows a lot of the black hull which should be below the waterline. The standard is +3m which is the base water line plus 3m or 3m above 0m water level. Standard water (0.00) level is at +2m above ground 0 so the track is 5m above ground 0.
    Last edited by stagecoach; April 20th, 2021 at 03:57 AM.

Um stagecoach you might want to read my posts. I know EXACTLY where the waterline is, surely you don't think I believe the propellers are above the water!!!! I clearly stated I was having issues with the height, which (as I've also mentioned) is an issue now resolved. The only issues I need work on now is that the superadaptor is not letting the ship actually move, and having to guess where the attachment points need to be, but that one is a simple trial and error until I get them in the right spot. If I find time, I'll upload a short video with the progress I've made.

A short video shows what I've done so far with an A Class destroyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saLl4OXB98k
    Last edited by Alikiwi; April 20th, 2021 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Typos

What I was stating was the water +3m is the standard height used in trainz now. I added the position mentioned by ingha as follows which now runs on the water +3m for track the same as other ships.

<kuid:850934:100744> HMS Enterprise Light Cruiser, driveable added position 0,0,-7.5
    <kuid2:850934:100700:1> HMS Whelp R37 Destroyer, drivable added position 0,0,-6.5
    Last edited by stagecoach; April 20th, 2021 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alikiwi View Post
    I've worked out how to attach crew to the decks, although limited choices and I'll have to ask bobsanders if I can use his 2(?) Royal Navy crew members. What I am wondering and not finding a solution to, is using an invisible interior to arrange different (cabin/bridge) view points, such as on the wings of the bridge or the bow even. Any ideas out there?

If Bob's crew are on the DLS then you can just add a reference in the config.txt file. That's the basic idea of the DLS.

Cheerio John

Well Vulcan talked about +4m (+3m for his barges from memory) hence my reference to setting the track at that height. I also mentioned I saw and tried Ingha's idea, hence why I said "Thanks Ingha, that actually works." "At least now I have a convention where I'll set each according to needs and I can state in the config file to set the track at 4 metres".

As the video shows, they work and appear correctly, and all can in theory run on the same track. Obviously I have to update those I've already released, but given I've got the interior now working to add external views and crew, I'll be adding those as well before I update those released. It does mean I have to move attachment points (all of them) and that is a trial an error until I get it right, with each ship being different. Thanks for all the help and info.

So after not noticing for a week or so --- PEVSoft attachment maker has the ability to rotate an attachment to any angle, I'm now adding aircraft to the HMS Ark Royal. The only issue I have left is the paint schemes are not loading, presumably due to this... ! <kuid:850934:100746> VE166: 37 combined chunks (of 38 source) in .im file:
    I'm guessing too many texture files with the Spitfire added, no Seafires available that I know of, or Spitfires with Australian WW2 roundels (white and blue only).