Driveable Ships

Edit, today we aren't sinking. I'm guessing the route or program just needed refreshing (don't we all) and am now sailing, high above the water. I could lower the track, but from memory some were setting the invisible track at 3 metres, so above the water to make it easier to see when placing objects/boats/ships. I will have another go at moving the attachment points and look at adding smoke.

I should add I've successful added smoke to the 2 funnels. Those attachment points worked exactly as expected, so why the ones for invisible bogies have no effect seems really odd. My other question is, are there any examples of wakes? I've searched and downloaded what driveable ships I found but only one mentions a wake, and it was build 1.3! So no suitable IM files as examples.

Last edited:
Good morning, a drivable boat in Trainz must have the same characteristics as a locomotive, when creating the model the orientation should be that of the axis of the track; It can happen that a ship created as an object has another orientation on the X-Y-Z axes and will not function as a locomotive.
If the orientation is good, try to put 4 bogies, 2 invisible and two not invisible; the latter would not be seen given the size of a ship.

Finally, I have some boats (not drivable) on my site, take a look.

Regards, Javier

https://sites.google.com/site/fantreskinstrainzcomes/home

Hi Javier, they appear to be orientated in a logical forward direction, although off to the side of the main axis. I've seen far bigger ships with just 2 bogies, and the first one I've tried after re-starting the game drives without derailing. My only problem now is this floating completely above water level and off to the side of the invisible track. I will have a look at yours as well, thanks.

Hi Javier, they appear to be orientated in a logical forward direction, although off to the side of the main axis. I've seen far bigger ships with just 2 bogies, and the first one I've tried after re-starting the game drives without derailing. My only problem now is this floating completely above water level and off to the side of the invisible track. I will have a look at yours as well, thanks.

Hello Alikiwi,
Could you put some screenshots of that ship? Likewise, it would be good if you put the X-Y-Z values ​​of the bogies here. :wave:

Regards, Javier

I'm playing with Coutumariees' ships. As for the X,Y,Z, values, I've tried X from 0 to 4.87. Y from 2 to 11. Z (vertical) from -10 to 22.9 for the front bogie. For the rear bogie X from 0 to 4.87, Y from 67.7 to 89.7. Z from -10 to 22.9. As I've mentioned this has made no difference to the position or height of the ship in any way.

I'm also having an issue with derailing with "due to speeding". However it was doing 8 mph in a 40 mph zone! (only because it hadn't reached the first speed limit of 10 MPH. Possibly a problem in the engine spec., for which the Wiki seems to be missing critical info, ie, how is the speed measured in a config file, MPH or KM/Hr. My checks say neither. This ship tops at 35kts = 64 km/hr = 40 MPH. My tests suggest that an engine spec with a limit set at 20 = 40 MPH, can anyone confirm, or not?

Two shots which show you how it looks, with track so you can see (otherwise it would be invisible track).

Unable-to-centre-ship-on-track..jpg

and...

Flying-high%21.jpg

I think what happens is that when the ship was created it was not made with the center in X-Y-Z / 0-0-0, it is displaced and the solution would be to contact the author in case he can do it.

axis.jpg

Well in that you are correct. In fact the two horizontal axis cross just short of the bow. Even so, if you adjust the attachment points shouldn't you be able to correct this, even if it was just height, that would be acceptable.

Hi Guys,

I have been working on a Kilo Class, driveable. It submerges, has an interior, periscope view and fires torpedoes, nearly finished.

kilo1.jpg

Ian

Last edited:
Well in that you are correct. In fact the two horizontal axis cross just short of the bow. Even so, if you adjust the attachment points shouldn't you be able to correct this, even if it was just height, that would be acceptable.

You cannot modify the spatial situation of the mesh. :eek:

There is a complicated way to do it, to pass the ship from object to mesh; use a locomotive to anchor the mesh to an attachment point that can be named "a.ship".
To transform the object to mesh, you have to change the config and also pass some characteristics of the drivable ship to the locomotive.
I don't know if it would work. :confused:

You cannot modify the spatial situation of the mesh. :eek:

Hm, I was afraid of that. The way they are done, each ship (depending on size) would require its' own track, as some will have to be lower than others. I really wanted to stay with the unofficial convention of setting the track at 3m above the water level so all ships sit correctly and could use the same invisible track. Think I'll just have to accept it the way it is.

I've also been thinking about adding different external cab views as per locomotives, so that forward footplate views on each side could become bridge wind positions. How they do that I don't know but doesn't use attachment points so I might have to forgo that idea as well.

I've worked out how to attach crew to the decks, although limited choices and I'll have to ask bobsanders if I can use his 2(?) Royal Navy crew members. What I am wondering and not finding a solution to, is using an invisible interior to arrange different (cabin/bridge) view points, such as on the wings of the bridge or the bow even. Any ideas out there?

To match a ship's height in the water to any existing invisible track, can you not simply add a 'position' line in the config.txt with the height component matching the required height of the track given in the description? For instance, if the suggested height for track is 6.5 meters below the water, add the 'position' line as follows if your actual track is set at, say, "0":

{
mesh "Ship.im"
position 0,0,-6.5
auto-create 1
}

Adjust the position line to match your actual existing track depth. This works for me with most driveable ships.

ingha

Last edited:
Thanks Ingha, that actually works. The suggested convention is to set the track at +4metres and given these ships vary widely and don't all have the Y and X axis at the bottom of the hull, my first one had to be set at -10.5 metres. At least now I have a convention where I'll set each according to needs and I can state in the config file to set the track at 4 metres if the water is at 0 or in my case -0.1m which is barely a noticeable difference. Thanks.

The bottom of the hull is not always the waterline as some hulls go below the waterline. On most ships, a red or black hull will show only a small part above the waterline, have a look at some of the ships on the DLS. Your post #26 shows a lot of the black hull which should be below the waterline. The standard is +3m which is the base water line plus 3m or 3m above 0m water level. Standard water (0.00) level is at +2m above ground 0 so the track is 5m above ground 0.

Last edited:
Um stagecoach you might want to read my posts. I know EXACTLY where the waterline is, surely you don't think I believe the propellers are above the water!!!! I clearly stated I was having issues with the height, which (as I've also mentioned) is an issue now resolved. The only issues I need work on now is that the superadaptor is not letting the ship actually move, and having to guess where the attachment points need to be, but that one is a simple trial and error until I get them in the right spot. If I find time, I'll upload a short video with the progress I've made.

Back