Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Driveable Ships

The site doesn't have an SSL certificate so many browsers will tag it just for that. The HTML code does run a couple of small scripts however if you use firefox with no script it works fine.

Adding an SSL certificate either costs money or requires a degree of expertise that may not be available. Also the site has been around quite a long time and the tools that were used to build it don't exactly create to the latest HTML standard. The internal debate at the moment is what to do about it and who could do it.

Cheerio John

Edge seems to tag anything without an SSL certificate as phishing. This is basically known as a false positive. There is a process within Microsoft to report it as OK but it needs to be done for every link.

Both Chrome, Firefox seem to work fine. Occasionally the images don't come up but if you click on a smaller image it does come up.

The site does not ask for any personal information or credit card numbers therefore there is no suggestion of phishing. There are no files on the site to download. It is purely informational and has a few images.

Cheerio John

United States of America, WA, Spokane Valley

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
    Adding an SSL certificate either costs money or requires a degree of expertise that may not be available. Also the site has been around quite a long time and the tools that were used to build it don't exactly create to the latest HTML standard. The internal debate at the moment is what to do about it and who could do it.Cheerio John
    A couple of years ago I was able to create my own SSL certificate on my 'Intranet', but I wouldn't know how to do it for a public web site. (And this was just for Windows and Firefox.)
    It really bugs me that they actually charge for something that should be free.
    Jamie C.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiechi2 View Post
    A couple of years ago I was able to create my own SSL certificate on my 'Intranet', but I wouldn't know how to do it for a public web site. (And this was just for Windows and Firefox.)
    It really bugs me that they actually charge for something that should be free.
    There are free solutions such as https://letsencrypt.org/ available but adding them to an existing web site is not always easy. Angelfire is owned by lycos who advertise that free SSL certificates are available for angelfire sites.
    "Free SSL certificate for domains hosted on Tripod or Angelfire" Documentation on how to get one seems remarkably lacking.

Cheerio John

So, being frustrated with not getting/making perfect QLD crossings, I've come back to this which is a lower priority task, and sorted out the attachment points and have a working driveable destroyer. BUT....
    it's floating above the water and then I realised off the side of the invisible track!! The reason for that is when viewing in PEVsoft Attachment I can see the 3 yellow axis lines do not pass through the centre of the ship. In fact they miss it completely, mostly. IE one axis passes up the starboard (right) side, then next crosses through the tip of the bow (horizontal) and of-course the third (vertical where they meet. My first problem was the vertical issues, but with both, I found moving the attachment points, I raised them 20 metres, then lower -10 metres, MADE NO DIFFERENCE!
    I did drive it briefly, but it derailed/sunk. What am I missing now?

Edit, today we aren't sinking. I'm guessing the route or program just needed refreshing (don't we all) and am now sailing, high above the water. I could lower the track, but from memory some were setting the invisible track at 3 metres, so above the water to make it easier to see when placing objects/boats/ships. I will have another go at moving the attachment points and look at adding smoke.

I should add I've successful added smoke to the 2 funnels. Those attachment points worked exactly as expected, so why the ones for invisible bogies have no effect seems really odd. My other question is, are there any examples of wakes? I've searched and downloaded what driveable ships I found but only one mentions a wake, and it was build 1.3! So no suitable IM files as examples.
    Last edited by Alikiwi; April 9th, 2021 at 08:24 PM. Reason: extra info

Good morning, a drivable boat in Trainz must have the same characteristics as a locomotive, when creating the model the orientation should be that of the axis of the track; It can happen that a ship created as an object has another orientation on the X-Y-Z axes and will not function as a locomotive.
    If the orientation is good, try to put 4 bogies, 2 invisible and two not invisible; the latter would not be seen given the size of a ship.

Finally, I have some boats (not drivable) on my site, take a look.

Regards, Javier

https://sites.google.com/site/fantre...ainzcomes/home

Hi Javier, they appear to be orientated in a logical forward direction, although off to the side of the main axis. I've seen far bigger ships with just 2 bogies, and the first one I've tried after re-starting the game drives without derailing. My only problem now is this floating completely above water level and off to the side of the invisible track. I will have a look at yours as well, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alikiwi View Post
    Hi Javier, they appear to be orientated in a logical forward direction, although off to the side of the main axis. I've seen far bigger ships with just 2 bogies, and the first one I've tried after re-starting the game drives without derailing. My only problem now is this floating completely above water level and off to the side of the invisible track. I will have a look at yours as well, thanks.
    Hello Alikiwi,
    Could you put some screenshots of that ship? Likewise, it would be good if you put the X-Y-Z values ​​of the bogies here.

Regards, Javier

I'm playing with Coutumariees' ships. As for the X,Y,Z, values, I've tried X from 0 to 4.87. Y from 2 to 11. Z (vertical) from -10 to 22.9 for the front bogie. For the rear bogie X from 0 to 4.87, Y from 67.7 to 89.7. Z from -10 to 22.9. As I've mentioned this has made no difference to the position or height of the ship in any way.

I'm also having an issue with derailing with "due to speeding". However it was doing 8 mph in a 40 mph zone! (only because it hadn't reached the first speed limit of 10 MPH. Possibly a problem in the engine spec., for which the Wiki seems to be missing critical info, ie, how is the speed measured in a config file, MPH or KM/Hr. My checks say neither. This ship tops at 35kts = 64 km/hr = 40 MPH. My tests suggest that an engine spec with a limit set at 20 = 40 MPH, can anyone confirm, or not?

Two shots which show you how it looks, with track so you can see (otherwise it would be invisible track).

and...

I think what happens is that when the ship was created it was not made with the center in X-Y-Z / 0-0-0, it is displaced and the solution would be to contact the author in case he can do it.

Well in that you are correct. In fact the two horizontal axis cross just short of the bow. Even so, if you adjust the attachment points shouldn't you be able to correct this, even if it was just height, that would be acceptable.

Hi Guys,

I have been working on a Kilo Class, driveable. It submerges, has an interior, periscope view and fires torpedoes, nearly finished.

Ian
    Last edited by vulcan; April 11th, 2021 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alikiwi View Post
    Well in that you are correct. In fact the two horizontal axis cross just short of the bow. Even so, if you adjust the attachment points shouldn't you be able to correct this, even if it was just height, that would be acceptable.
    You cannot modify the spatial situation of the mesh.

There is a complicated way to do it, to pass the ship from object to mesh; use a locomotive to anchor the mesh to an attachment point that can be named "a.ship".
    To transform the object to mesh, you have to change the config and also pass some characteristics of the drivable ship to the locomotive.
    I don't know if it would work.