TRS19 New motherboard can't start game

WK1996

603915691a3bd.jpg

60391712a3629.jpg

I am a Chinese player, network and firewall are normal and allowed, I have been using VPN, still can't verify. After replacing the new motherboard, the game cannot be verified online. Whether the system can be optimized or not, many Chinese players have this situation.

First thing to try is to re-enter your log-in details via the Trainz settings, Internet tab. If that doesn't work, maybe send a report to the help desk.

You may have to use something like this https://www.your-freedom.net

It doesn't get very good reviews. The free version gives you only 2 hrs per day and 5 hrs per week. A big negative is that the service is based in France which now has laws forcing all ISPs (including VPNs) based in France to retain all user data and, if required, surrender that data to the government - so it is not for the paranoid.

These "data retention" laws seem to be spreading everywhere.

@pware ergo "something like", I haven't had used it in over 10 years. Which would you recommend these days? As far as DPLs, we wouldn't be too worried about our N3V streams. Anyone storing or looking at mine is going to be in for a long day because I continuously stream out an internet radio station.

Last edited:
I don't know. I have never used a VPN but have, on the odd occasion, considered it for one reason or another. The main reason I would consider using a VPN would be to get around the annoying "geoblocking" that is common with some streaming and other services, for example. But lately I have not needed any streaming service that is not available locally.

My researches into VPNs have generally not revealed anything encouraging. Some of the frequent complaints include - too expensive, too many restrictions, too slow, too easily blocked, etc. A recent article I came across stated that the streaming services are getting better at blocking VPNs that are allowing users to get around geoblocks and other restrictions. Plus the point I mentioned in my previous posts about governments starting to crack down on the use of VPNs to avoid scrutiny. I add that privacy from scrutiny is not one of my concerns.

I don't know. I have never used a VPN but have, on the odd occasion, considered it for one reason or another.
Ok, so I am safe with my "something like" characterization then. That particular app is more that a VPN, it primarily tunnels data via alternate protocols. For example, it will have your machine transmit http (or any outgoing protocol you are sending) as all ftp, or all CGI (for example), less likely to be firewalled, then reassembles the ftp to http on its receiving server and vice versa. Only 4 euros a month and their servers are in all different countries, not only France.

I've used VPNs but only in the corporate world. My take on them is they are slow. I had applications hang, timeout, run like the data was sitting in pancake syrup and jam first, and even crash. Now if these worked this poorly on a corporate infrastructure setup for this, I can only imagine what it's like with the internet-based services. I'm sure this boils down to some applications and services being better than others, but at what cost does this incur?

I've used VPNs but only in the corporate world. My take on them is they are slow. I had applications hang, timeout, run like the data was sitting in pancake syrup and jam first, and even crash. Now if these worked this poorly on a corporate infrastructure setup for this, I can only imagine what it's like with the internet-based services. I'm sure this boils down to some applications and services being better than others, but at what cost does this incur?

Hi John, very well but I repeat what I said to pware, what I recommended to WK1996, the OP, was not a VPN (although it has that as an auxiliary capability). In fact, it would be irresponsible for me to recommend a VPN to a Chinese Trainz user because only approved VPNs are legal there. So I want to be clear, I did not recommend a VPN to WK1996.

A VPN encrypts data with a key shared by the end computers. The app I suggested converts your outbound stream into a protocol and port not monitored by the firewall in question, sends the data to its international server(s), where it is reconverted back to the original protocol and port to send to the intended destination. So for a simple example, if your port 21 FTP protocol is not regulated by the firewall, it will convert all your outbound traffic to that, then upon arrival at its server, port 21 ftp is reconverted back to the original format (say http port 80) and then sent to the destination domain server. The reverse for inbound traffic. The app automatically finds what protocols and ports are not monitored in your firewall and costs 4 euros a month (5 dollars to us). Using IPv6 via Teredo, it does get folks in China and Iran connected.

@deneban, now I am confused. The web link you supplied clearly states, as a heading, -
The all-in-one VPN tunneling, firewall & proxy bypassing, anonymization and anti-censorship solution

The web sites (there were several) I visited to get reviews of this "service" were all clear that it is a VPN. Whether it operates through your web browser or as an app on a mobile device did not seem to matter.

@deneban,now I am confused. The web link you supplied clearly states, as a heading, "The all-in-one VPN tunneling, firewall & proxy bypassing, anonymization and anti-censorship solution-"
As you are one of the most intelligent and informed persons in this forum, this surprised me. That citation tells you it is one solution for 5 things:

1. VPN Tunneling
  2. Firewall bypassing
  3. Proxy Bypassing
  4. Anonymization
  5. Anti-censorship
It is the later four things that are relatively unique and comprise its uncommon strength. Admittedly VPN getting top billing is deceptive, my guess is he does that because it is a common term so people will look at what the heck is this. If you run the app, the VPN is an unnecessary "add-on". The other 4 functions are much more uncommon, powerful, and make VPN look like child's play.

In fact the reason it is perfect for our Chinese friend here (the OP) is because he is not allowed to use the VPN portion or any VPN his government hasn't approved. The balance (major core) of the app will get him connected, and that’s why I mentioned it.

The web sites (there were several) I visited to get reviews of this "service" were all clear that it is a VPN. Whether it operates through your web browser or as an app on a mobile device did not seem to matter.
Software reviewers have a limited understanding of telecommunications or else they would have higher paying jobs. The app is a "protocol and port conversion server" processing all your outbound and inbound traffic on the host's "entire" network adapter in order to breech firewalls, breech proxy servers, etc… VPN protocols merely encrypt data, but cannot overcome formidable obstacles like blocked ports and VPN detection. This thing works in conjunction with its worldwide "freedom" servers to seek out, by iteration, what protocols on what ports can go unscathed through the firewall in question. See my modest http/ftp conversion example I explained to John in post #9. The firewall and anyone watching the data stream have no idea what and that your device is sending and receiving. I'm sure there are military versions of the concept.

Deneban,

Thanks for the 'splaining. That does help with obfuscating data and does get around the blocks since the data is now "regular" data in and out on other ports. Now this makes me wonder there might be a couple of things going on here:

1) Could the problem be related to his account being associated with a particular MAC address on his PC?

I ran into this with some CAD workstations I used to support in the company I worked for. When a network card failed in a workstation, the program had to be reauthorized all over again. This was annoying because this required a call to the consulting company for a support tech to come in and "do things" that I was never allowed to see.

2) Stricter control over ports on the user's PC due to lockdowns by the OS?

If the software uses SMB, then this has to be enabled explicitly now by adding it to Windows via the Programs and Features and using the "Turn Windows features on and off". I ran into this issue when connecting to an internal NAS box until I retired that unit a year or so ago.

Similarly, he may now have to enable specific ports in the Windows Firewall. This is in addition to allowing an application through the firewall.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/ea781896-ee2f-4eeb-9091-0569c20e2891

https://www.howtogeek.com/394735/how-do-i-open-a-port-on-windows-firewall/

That does help with obfuscating data and does get around the blocks since the data is now "regular" data in and out on other ports.
And in other protocols as well (PPTP, SOCKS5, CGI, FTP, UDP, DNS, and ECHO).

Now this makes me wonder there might be a couple of things going on here: 1) Could the problem be related to his account being associated with a particular MAC address on his PC?
If you are talking about the OP's troubles, I am not even going to begin to guess what his/her government is doing or capable of doing. It may be completely beyond our collective experience. Between your and my suggestions he/she has a running start anyway

Back