Sound cuts out intermittently

pepperref

I recently started trying to record video of some TRS19 routes.

I noticed that the sound almost cuts out completely at random points in the video.

I suppose it has been happening for some time and I just ignored it while I was driving trains, but it has become annoying now that I'm trying to record some of the action. I notice other Trainz videos on Youtube that do not seem to have any audio issues and I was wondering if I have something set wrong on my laptop.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Hank

The sound has been a problem for a long time, especially if you are running a lot of consists. It cuts in and out.

I've been noticing in TRS19 that the locomotive engine sound periodically cuts out for 30 seconds to a minute, then spontaneously restarts with no help from me. Not sure if this was an issue on older versions, as it has been several years since I played any of them.

Sound in general has always been the weakest part of Trainz in general. I have found, however, that if there's a lot of stuff going on then the sound will start chopping as the scenery starts to studder as well. I also found it depends upon the train. Some trains have better sounds than others and some will chop more frequently than others. This may have something to do with the quality of the sound file to start with.

I also have similar issues with sound. I like to add plenty of SFX to my routes so I’m sure this is probably contributing to the problem, but the problems date back 10 years at least. I believe it can sometimes be the asset creator’s fault but I’d like to think N3V will start to look at sound quality.

Paul

Seems trainz has only the sounds of nearby trains loaded
so if you switch trains a lot has to be loaded
not only meshes and textures but also the sounds
so the less mb that needs to be loaded, the faster it goes
people ridicule me if I say you should limit yourself on the sizes of files
but it causes this delay.
When making movies you also use a lot of PC power slowing it even more
more reading/writing gets done at the same time.
greetings GM

Seems trainz has only the sounds of nearby trains loaded
so if you switch trains a lot has to be loaded
not only meshes and textures but also the sounds
so the less mb that needs to be loaded, the faster it goes
people ridicule me if I say you should limit yourself on the sizes of files
but it causes this delay.
When making movies you also use a lot of PC power slowing it even more
more reading/writing gets done at the same time.
greetings GM

My guts are telling me that part of the issue is the number of channels that are used by Trainz TR/TSxxxxx is probably inadequate to handle the large number of sounds found on a route. What happens is whatever channels are in use get overwhelmed and then it's a matter of who gets the control of the sound card at that moment. When the system overall is busy, this is made worse because there are now other factors in place such as writing to the hard drive in addition to playing the sound at the same time. This is now made worse with bigger files not only with the assets themselves, but also by the content creators using more-complex audio as well.

I have not had that problem, but I wonder if it is simply from overworking the CPU. I would try only operating one consist and see if that helps. If it does help, then you know that the CPU is probably the culprit. You could also try turing down the graphics and see if that is better. (I know that the CPU still has to work harder when the graphic levels are high even though you may think that it is entirely on the GPU to handle that. Not so.)

Back