any good LSWR route's on the DLS?

STLSF4003

After doing a cursory search on the DLS, I've found there's a boat load of locomotives and rolling stock lettered for the LSWR on there, i can't seem to find the right kind of route to run them on.

They're either too old or just not to my tastes.

So help a man out here?

Not as far as I know. What you see on the DLS is what there is. I did a TMR Trainz model railway format branch line terminus representing Seaton in LSWR days, but I guess that's not what you're looking for.
The North Cornwall Railway route is about your best bet, but it needs an awful lot of work doing to it. How do I know this?

Not as far as I know. What you see on the DLS is what there is. I did a TMR Trainz model railway format branch line terminus representing Seaton in LSWR days, but I guess that's not what you're looking for.
The North Cornwall Railway route is about your best bet, but it needs an awful lot of work doing to it. How do I know this?

define "an awful lot of work." It can't be that​ bad......right?

After doing a cursory search on the DLS, I've found there's a boat load of locomotives and rolling stock lettered for the LSWR on there, i can't seem to find the right kind of route to run them on.

They're either too old or just not to my tastes.

So help a man out here?

Stock from one railway company would often end up on another's line. Remember England is quite small compared to the US so wagons certainly could end up anywhere.

Cheerio John

Stock from one railway company would often end up on another's line. Remember England is quite small compared to the US so wagons certainly could end up anywhere.

Cheerio John

Rolling stock I can understand, but what about locomotives? What would be the odds of seeing a Drummond 700 class mingling with GWR power?

But anyways. Since there doesn't seem to be any routes made for the LSWR specifically, I guess any route set in the southern region before or after grouping will have to do.

Rolling stock I can understand, but what about locomotives? What would be the odds of seeing a Drummond 700 class mingling with GWR power?

But anyways. Since there doesn't seem to be any routes made for the LSWR specifically, I guess any route set in the southern region before or after grouping will have to do.

A 700 and GW power would have been a common sight at places such as Plymouth, Exeter, Salisbury, even Wadebridge, Launceston or Barnstaple where company lines crossed or had running powers. The governing factor is that pre 1923, these locomotives would be hauling their own company trains, not their competitors. Much the same situation applied between 1923 and 1947. The BR bought some interchangeability but it was principally GW motive power invading Southern territory.

define "an awful lot of work." It can't be that​ bad......right?

It can, - the trackwork is absolutely frightful. The scenic work is reasonably well done though.

The region outlined by pitmilly is very much LSWR territory, but one that was fought over with the GWR during the pre-grouping era with both companies not having a lot of love for one another.

Open the map in a new tab to get a larger version.

xB4lPot.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with the scenic work, pretty as it is, is that it is built according today's Google Earth views. There's a lot of housing etc. included that simply wasn't there before the mid-sixties.

The GWR would of course argue that it was their territory with the LSWR being the johnny-come-lately invader!

The problem with the scenic work, pretty as it is, is that it is built according today's Google Earth views. There's a lot of housing etc. included that simply wasn't there before the mid-sixties.

The GWR would of course argue that it was their territory with the LSWR being the johnny-come-lately invader!

Ah yes sorry I forgot to mention that. With 25 inch to the mile OS maps as a guide I seemed to be doing nothing else except deleting things that shouldn't be there. Between that and the trackwork I started to lose the will to live and I eventually just gave up.

My main interest lies with the late 19th century GWR so I have to agree with the point of view that the LSWR was indeed a pack of johnny-come-latelys.

It can be quite challenging to produce any sort of period route, certainly anything pre 1950's anyway. Aren't there are couple of preserved route attempts on the DLS? Maybe a Bluebell or Mid Hants.

marky7890 has done the Bodmin & Wenford Railway <KUID2:179051:100239:3> which is a heritage line. He's also done the East Cornwall & Branches route, but it's important to keep in mind that this is a modern era route.

Not the obvious route from Semley but a branch off the Fordingbridge line at Alderbury, following the Ebble Valley to approach from the east.
Nice, - I like it. A few minutes spent with some very old maps on the NLS website and all was made clear.

Kind of a little hobby of mine - looking for "what might have been" scenarios for routes, the advantage being you can use considerable artistic licence and not have to worry about the rivet counters.

Back