Any way to settle a whole spline?

You can lower this spline with additional tags in the config - whether it creates the effect you're looking for is for you to decide. From what I could see it worked the same way in TANE SP1 when I tried it out.

I added the following tag in the track container based on the dimensions provided by Dinorius Redundicus so the top of the mesh is just above ground height (1.303-1.28 = 0.023 m):
adjust-height-to-ground-offset -1.28

You can play around with the numbers and get varying effects but the math behind it is:

outputVertexPosition.z = modelVertexPosition.z + adjustHeightToGroundOffset + groundHeight.

In the pic below taken in TRS19 (v100240), the original spline is on the left and the modified on the right.
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Bob Pearson

[EDIT] PS
Thanks Malc. I am afraid I am a bit too wild with the terrain tools to try to do a highly meandering stream like that. So I will not be using it as intended, but I think lowering the spline points will work. Will post screenshots later.
I'd be interested to see what you come up with. Based on what I see just lowering the vertices will just embed it into the ground which will cut thru the mesh and hide any thing below ground level. You have to lower the ground below it to get a stream effect.

Last edited:
By the way, I'm quite happy if anyone wants to upload a modified version if it makes life easier, I don't have a problem with people modifying any of my assets.

Malc I'll note one other thing I noticed when I modified the height of the spline in the config. It's not too obvious when you lay them down. You don't see it at all on a flat baseboard until you lower the ground below it. Your original keeps the cross section with all mesh points holding their relative position. With the modified set up the new tag changes the relative positions as they set on the terrain since each mesh point's height goes thru the above calculation. I noticed a marked change in the cross section as the ground is lowered below it. It changes to form a definite v - in the original it stayed flat as it dropped.

This effect may be advantageous when water is added. The sides slopped and kind of folded up to grab the terrain as the middle dropped down. The stream was easier to form and better defined imo. This would probably result in wider stream widths than you intended. I can't argue with your screen shots - they do look great.

There are a couple other tags in the track container that I've never understood or played with. I was also hoping my memory was off and I'd find the offsets for attached splines to include x and z offsets but only lateral in x direction of the spline are allowed.

Bob Pearson

Well, here is some spline point adjustment. To some degree it is the look I am looking for, although Malc's correct technique is probably better:

creek01jt.jpg

But it isn't perfect. Too much and you lose the creek, not enough and you have an edge. THese are all set at -1.24 meter, but shows places where I have an edge and some where I lose the creek, and they can't be adjusted so it isn't one or the other....

creek02jt.jpg

The ironic thing is, after looking at google maps satellite view today, the picture has changed. The fields are dryer, some of the creeks have no water, and there is much more detail on forks, etc. So the whole thing about prototypical kind of goes pffft. Thanks so much for all of the help and advice everyone, and thanks Malc for your offer to upload a modification. I am going to have to decide if I just want to work it out as-is or try to do it right, whatever that is.... :D

Back