AppData space on C drive

Hardtack

NV3 Games is taking up 96.5% of my C drive (148 GB) even though the game is installed on a different drive. Is there a way to move this off the C drive to another bigger one?
Thanks for your help.

Hardtack :)

It's very easy. From the splash screen (startup screen) click on "Trainz Settings" and "Install" - You'll see "Local Data Folder" and it will show the path the the data folder. Locate the folder, move it to another location. Restart Trainz, it will act as a new install wanting graphics level. Doesn't matter here, pick one and then go to the Install tab again and point "Local Data Folder" to the correct new place. Quit and restart.

(On the "Install" tab there is a button to click "Instructions for moving your content.")

Last edited:
NV3 Games is taking up 96.5% of my C drive (148 GB) even though the game is installed on a different drive. Is there a way to move this off the C drive to another bigger one?
Thanks for your help.

Hardtack :)

This is also a question I have had too! Thanks for posting!

Yes, even though you may tell it to install on a different drive during the installation, that will only install the executable and supporting files, the program per se. But the actual Trainz CONTENT still gets installed in your AppData folder, and has to be moved manually. That is why your drive is filling up. One of those little tips they don't tell you about during the install...

Yes, even though you may tell it to install on a different drive during the installation, that will only install the executable and supporting files, the program per se. But the actual Trainz CONTENT still gets installed in your AppData folder, and has to be moved manually. That is why your drive is filling up. One of those little tips they don't tell you about during the install...

The actual TANE and TRS2019 programs are about 9GB and 13GB respectively. The other downloadable content is what eats up disk space. I put my programs on the C: drive where they belong, but my data exists on my data drives which is not only better in case the system drive needs formatting, but it's also much, much easier to edit content should that be necessary as well as simply backing up a folder to another drive without needing to dig through layers of folders.

I agree that this isn't mentioned in the install, although, there is an option available to place the data anywhere including the App Data folder area by default. Most people take the defaults. There should be some kind of explanation regarding this perhaps a pop-up box, or some text on the install wizard its self.

It's very easy. From the splash screen (startup screen) click on "Trainz Settings" and "Install" - You'll see "Local Data Folder" and it will show the path the the data folder. Locate the folder, move it to another location. Restart Trainz, it will act as a new install wanting graphics level. Doesn't matter here, pick one and then go to the Install tab again and point "Local Data Folder" to the correct new place. Quit and restart.

(On the "Install" tab there is a button to click "Instructions for moving your content.")

Thanks for the help everyone!

Back