finding new routes and sessions help please

LilBilley

Good day all,

i am a total noob to trainz 2019 i have figured out how to download on DLS in game.

however how do you guys find routes with sessions or sessions for a route ? seems like i never find the two together.

just wondering how you guys do it as there are some really amazing routes available people have made.

thank you for the help !

Good day all,

i am a total noob to trainz 2019 i have figured out how to download on DLS in game.

however how do you guys find routes with sessions or sessions for a route ? seems like i never find the two together.

just wondering how you guys do it as there are some really amazing routes available people have made.

thank you for the help !

I suggest the Kickstarter 2, routes by Philskene, and whamm0. You can search on the DLS by author. Sessions for a route can be found by searching for "dependents" of a route. (I don't think whamm0 has any sessions). There are dozens of great routes, these are just my suggestions.

Let us know what you like best. Philskene and Whamm0 create fantastic model routes, if you want longer routes you can try UMR, or MSGSapper's recently revamped New England Coastal route, Or his soon to be remodeled Progressive Rail Jesse James route. Also there are the Clovis Texas route, the L&A and many more, but, I would have to do like pitkin suggests and try looking at dependents to find sessions. There has never been a requirement for anyone to list in a session description what route it actually goes to, which to me would be an obvious thing to do, but which never happens.

Clovis look like a nice route but be prepared to go hunting if you download it. I have about 50 missing dependencies which I am in the process of tracking down right now.

Forester 1 : There has never been a requirement for anyone to list in a session description what route it actually goes to, which to me would be an obvious thing to do, but which never happens.

My sessions do, and so do Philskenes :D

To show routes and sessions together in Content Manager (which is what I think you are asking) you set a filter.
- Click "Manage Content"
- Click the black diamond next to "Filter" at the top left
- Set the top "Installed" filter to "False"
- To the far right of "Installed" "True" you will see a "minus" and a "plus" - Click the PLUS
- "Asset Kuid" will show right below the first filter which is "Installed" "True" - Change "Asset Kuid" to "Category" "Route"
- On that line click the plus to add another filter and set it to "OR"
- Now add one more filter of "Category" "Session"

Setting the above filter will show you only Routes and Sessions. Click the column headings to sort by Name, or Author, or Upload Date and the Route Names Sessions should be shown relatively close to each other. But know that sometimes this is not true as someone other than the Route Author may create a session some months later. But this will get you started.

You can refine even further by adding even more filter paramenters to the what I describe above. For instance, to the above filter add an "And" selector and then an "Author" filter of "philskene" to see only philskene's routes and sessions (but this won't show any sessions made by anyone but "philskene")

If you need to see a pic just let me know.

Last edited:
And that is much appreciated Pitkin! It is great when a creator takes enough pride in their work to encourage others to try it. And it is also great to have support if any issues with the session are encountered. Kudos!

"There has never been a requirement for anyone to list in a session description what route it actually goes to, which to me would be an obvious thing to do, but which never happens."

With apologies to Gilbert & Sullivan:
"What never?"
"Yes, never."
"What never?"
"Well, hardly ever."

There are some of us who do, though we can most likely be counted on the fingers of one hand. Even fewer of us do a detailed write up in the Forums, like this:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...l-railroad-quot-The-Port-Loleta-Railroad-quot

To find more:
Advanced Search / Single Content Type / User Name = philskene / Find Threads Started by User / Search Now.

Phil

Hi,
Just to add to Greg's posting:-
Note that you can save the custom search you've made.

I wonder if using "keyword" search helps?

Cheers,

Colin

To show routes and sessions together in Content Manager (which is what I think you are asking) you set a filter.
- Click "Manage Content"
- Click the black diamond next to "Filter" at the top left
- Set the top "Installed" filter to "False"
- To the far right of "Installed" "True" you will see a "minus" and a "plus" - Click the PLUS
- "Asset Kuid" will show right below the first filter which is "Installed" "True" - Change "Asset Kuid" to "Category" "Route"
- On that line click the plus to add another filter and set it to "OR"
- Now add one more filter of "Category" "Session"

Setting the above filter will show you only Routes and Sessions. Click the column headings to sort by Name, or Author, or Upload Date and the Route Names Sessions should be shown relatively close to each other. But know that sometimes this is not true as someone other than the Route Author may create a session some months later. But this will get you started.

You can refine even further by adding even more filter paramenters to the what I describe above. For instance, to the above filter add an "And" selector and then an "Author" filter of "philskene" to see only philskene's routes and sessions (but this won't show any sessions made by anyone but "philskene")

If you need to see a pic just let me know.

Thank you very much to everyone all the info has been helpful.

This is exactly what I was looking for. I did read up and know how to use the search and filter like stated here however I did not think to sort it in order of date or author so that helps tremendously. As well all these great author names everyone speaks of I will me searching for. I am very grateful for all the help.

I can see there is an enormous amount of work involved in creating a unique and especially large map. I will be sharing this info with family that also plays the game and started with me. If there are any other creators that wish to share there info I will take it !! I personally don't have a favorite style of play I really have enjoyed everything I have done on every type of train or task. I personally do like the longer ones myself. You give me 1-2 hours awesome, 4 + and I'm in heaven lol

Thanks again for all the help getting myself as a new player started ! I will take all the info I can, it's nice to see a friendly community

The Content Manager is very powerful and helpful. I pay close attention to forum posts about using the CM and I bookmark them or make notes.

After patting myself and Philskene on the back, I would like to add one thing. It sometimes becomes rather tedious to name a session. After adding the route name, session word and number, and the title of the session, the name becomes rather cumbersome in the CM.

I think the OP needs to consider Trainz as a journey rather than a destination. Start reading the forums, especially the Freeware posts. You will begin to form a portfolio of authors and routes (and sessions) that you enjoy.

Session creation has diverged somewhat. Most use the "navigation balloon" style. Some use the narrative style.

You can also spend a few more dollars with routes and sessions from Jointed Rail and HiawathaMR.

Ahhh.. On launch window (splash screen) UNCHECK "Manage content as Thumbnails" and you will content as text in columns.

crazy question in the game on a diesel loco i have open pcs and brake warning. i know its the emergency cut brake system but i cant get it to turn off and let me move the train in realistic mode. only simple controls allows me to move. im in a multiplayer match this is the only time i have seen this ?

Boc61, please take a look at my post announcing the C-to-L route. In it, you'll find a Dropbox link with all the non-DLS assets required, except for those by Gandal0444:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?151150-BNSF-Clovis-to-Lubbock

The ones from Gandalf0444 are all scenic objects; their absence should not affect operations at all. If you want them, you'll have to contact him directly.

-Max (maxwerks)

Clovis look like a nice route but be prepared to go hunting if you download it. I have about 50 missing dependencies which I am in the process of tracking down right now.

Back