Portal Issues

Paul_Bert

Train Enthusiast
I have noticed some discussions about portal problems. I also have one.

I am running build 110491. I use the built-in portal <kuid:-25:1264> by Auran in most of my routes.

The problem I have is that it will not consume trains that are 10 or 12 cars or longer. The trains enter the portal and go in a ways but then just sit there forever. Of course this causes a backup along the line for other trains waiting to enter the portal.

Is this part of the other issues that I have recently seen regarding portals or is this another issue all together.

Any suggestions? As a work around I have replaced the portals with a segment of track with a track mark and then issued a delete consist command when the trains reaches this trackmark. This works OK as a substitute for now.

I recently noticed that my Portals consumed correctly then after a number were successfully consumed it stopped working.
I will check number of carriages and report back.

I'm using a number of Portal Basic which are also built-in (likewise Build 110491) without issue with trains exceeding 20 cars. Peter

I have also noticed in several cases that they work for one or two trains and then stop working also. I have several routes with street cars (both single and double units) and the portals seem to work correctly with these consists. Its the passenger and freight trains that seem to cause the problem.

I don't believe there has been any portal that doesn't eventually score a script violation and stop working.The workaround is to save the game and reload it. Activate script error messages and see if a it is due to any specific rolling stock rather than number of consumptions. The root cause of intermittent problems involving rolling stock is usually due to individual rolling stock characteristics.

<kuid:-25:1264> has been reworked from <kuid:-25:1259> Portal (TRS19) and still has problems. I find <kuid2:96914:22000:2> Portal Basic Short is a little more reliable.

Last edited:
Hi

Unless I need a consist to return through a portal I just use Drive/Navigate to/via a trackmark followed by a delete train command. Gets rid of the consist without using the portal.

Regards

Brian

I guess my point here is that for me the portal has been broken since build 106618. I have used the portals with great success with version 2004, 2006, 2009,2010, TS12, and TANE.

So something apparently has changed in the most recent builds which have created the problem.

I guess this is as good a thread to post my Portal problems. Some of my portals only generate half of the consists. Any ideas anyone?

I guess this is as good a thread to post my Portal problems. Some of my portals only generate half of the consists. Any ideas anyone?

You've chose a rather ambiguous wording. That can mean: 1) generate 1/2 of each consist or 2) generate half the number of the expected consists.

You've chose a rather ambiguous wording. That can mean: 1) generate 1/2 of each consist or 2) generate half the number of the expected consists.

My apologies. It's option 1. Half of a consist. For instance a consist consisting of a loco and 10 cars will come out as a loco with 2 or 3 cars. It seems to be completely random.

My apologies. It's option 1. Half of a consist. For instance a consist consisting of a loco and 10 cars will come out as a loco with 2 or 3 cars. It seems to be completely random.

It likely means the sim cannot materialize the first of the missing cars (i.e. the sim can't find or render the requested rolling stock). I have found a database repair (or 2) usually solves the problem. If that does not work, check the dependencies and faults within the consist members.

Regarding the referenced thread (post #99 and thereafter), what you are experiencing can happen in any version TRS2004 and onward. The SP3 portal issue in the referenced thread is characterized by in-portal derailments shortening the consists followed by a driverless release of the emitted train, whenever a reverse-facing loco is pre-configured for emission.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I will check it out. It could be that I have some reverse-facing locos in there. Otherwise, all the dependencies are faultless.
Thanks again!

Back