NS South Fork Secondary - Large Images - WIP

New video -- Empty Coal Train from South Fork to Mine 78 in Windber!!

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

See all the action here: https://youtu.be/KHJPkV-rxXI

80 Minutes in Sidman

80 Minutes in Sidman - Part 1
Railfanning between 7:45am - 9:05am on July 8, 1984
in Sidman, PA on Conrail's South Fork Secondary
See all of the action: https://youtu.be/862YBZY4vpU
________________________________________________________________________________________________

745 a.m. As I arrive at Sidman, a crew with the Sidman Local is already switching out boxcars on the spur serving Penn Traffic. The spur leaves the Beaver Secondary right nears its junction with the South Fork Secondary. Performing the switch is Conrail engine #1970, a B23-7 while sister #1788 awaits to attach herself the consist for the haul back to South Fork. Tracks visible from right to left: Penn Traffic Spur; Beaver Secondary (#1970 is on the switch); Llanfair Branch (which departs from the Beaver Secondary); and South Fork Secondary main track.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

747 a.m. Engine #1970 is shoving back the boxcars from Penn Traffic to connect to #1788. My vantage point is from the double track bridge over the South Fork Little Conemaugh River. The bridge carries South Fork Secondary track and the Llanfair branch – which serves the coal mines near Dunlo, PA.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

754 a.m. Having just completed switching chores in Sidman and assembled their train, #1788 leans into her consist heading to clear up the main track. The Sidman local will hold on the Beaver Secondary in anticipation of a northbound loaded coal drag on the Llanfair Branch. In the background above the box car is looking southbound at the South Fork Secondary to Central City, PA and the Llanfair Branch.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

801 a.m. Three EMD SD45s, one still in Penn Central patched paint, storm around the curve – its horn blaring for the crossing. This empty hopper train is enroute to Mine #40 near Windber PA. Evidence of a tie replacement program is in view with new ties stacked on the right next to the tracks.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

806 a.m. Rumbling by at every bit of the 20-mph limit, the end of the local is punctuated with CR caboose model N-7E. Blue paint can’t hide its EL ancestry. This model was the last new caboose the EL built in 1969 by the International Car Company. Yes – train in the background is the Sidman Local holding in the clear on the Beaver Secondary for the Llanfair coal drag.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

822 a.m. The loaded coal drag finally shows up. Steep grades on the Llanfair Branch as high as 4.12% restrict northbound trains to 6 mph. GP38-2 #8224 is in heavy dynamic braking as it crawls into town. The red house on the right certainly is treated to a daily dose of horns, diesel exhaust, and brake shoe smoke from is close quarters neighbor.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

END OF PART 1 -- TO BE CONTINUED

Last edited:
80 Minutes in Sidman - Part 2
Railfanning between 7:45am - 9:05am on July 8, 1984
in Sidman, PA on Conrail's South Fork Secondary
See all of the action:
https://youtu.be/862YBZY4vpU

823 a.m. Flanges squeal, dynamic brakes whine, and creosote fills the nostrils as four engines carefully lead the coal drag northward to South Fork.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

827 a.m. Vantage point looking westward shows the Sidman Local waiting patiently for the Llanfair drag to get out of town. Beans and a hot shower wait for the crew who are nearing the end of their 12-hour work day.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

834 a.m. The end of the coal drag finally appears with four additional Geeps on the rear. With the stiffest grades behind them, speeds are increased to 20 mph enroute to the end/beginning of the line in South Fork, 5 miles to the north.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

905 a.m. There they go, with switches restored to normal and branch lines cleared as the summer morning heat begins even this early in the day. In just 80 minutes, I have been able capture on film a “short turn around” switching job on the Beaver Secondary with the Sidman Local; a “fast” moving empty hopper southbound on the South Fork Secondary; and a heavy coal drag northbound coming off of the Llanfair branch. Now if only there were still passenger trains….

Last edited:
As the evening approaches, another batch of black diamonds leaves PBS Coals Shade Creek Prep Plant near Central City, PA. It's June of 1985 and an Ex-Erie Lackawanna caboose brings up the rear of the northbound heading towards South Fork at 10 mph.

Join us for more action: https://youtu.be/862YBZY4vpU

Back