Google map of Abandoned and out of service rail lines.

Incredibly cool John, thanks for pointing this out. Who made/maintains this?

I don't know who made it. I saw it listed during my search and snagged it.

Looking at the old Watertown branch - Cambridge to Waltham, for instance, I thought that would make a nice transit route running to Alewife station. This is incredibly cool!

Thanks JCitron for the Maps........This will help out a lot with some of my older Routes I need to find how the Tracks ran etc.......:D

As always you are a fountain of good information.........;)

Update to:

Interesting, looks like this might be the same interface as the map I use for the RGS.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...l=37.452467979610454,-108.40362002509434&z=13

The National Library of Scotland also has a nice selection of maps for the UK of old and abandoned railways.

https://maps.nls.uk/

William

Hello wreeder,

Just wanted to thank you for Scottish Map Reference........

Last edited:
Thanks John, I am currently re-creating a route in upper New York State, and I have now found some track (that I thought previously existed) that will me to expand the route.

Regards
Bob

When looking for one thing, I came upon another...

Abandoned & Out-of-Service Railroad Lines - Google My Maps

Way cool and it's worldwide too!

It's incredible!

While the entry from my country includes the Cibatu to Cikajang line (personally I called this line as "Cikajang Line"), in fact the first half of this line from Cibatu to Garut is already rebuilt as part of preparation for reinstating passenger service from Garut to Bandung and beyond (even the "Cibatu local train" currently serving Purwakarta - Cibatu corridor is planned by Indonesian Railways to be extended all the way to Garut station, once the construction work for new building of Garut station has completed and is ready to be reopened for public). ;)

It's incredible!

While the entry from my country includes the Cibatu to Cikajang line (personally I called this line as "Cikajang Line"), in fact the first half of this line from Cibatu to Garut is already rebuilt as part of preparation for reinstating passenger service from Garut to Bandung and beyond (even the "Cibatu local train" currently serving Purwakarta - Cibatu corridor is planned by Indonesian Railways to be extended all the way to Garut station, once the construction work for new building of Garut station has completed and is ready to be reopened for public). ;)

I figured there maybe places like that. I noticed in my area that an original railroad line is missing from the abandoned list. This would be the Andover and Wilmington, which was one of the oldest of the New England railroads. I'm sure there are others as well elsewhere, but it's still an incredible resource, albeit, a sad one in some respects.

That's excellent to hear/read at least the line is being rebuilt.

Hi John,

you are a like a Trainz light tower shining bright and keep us clear fom the cliffs and sandbanks with lot's of news tips and tricks or plain warnings!

Very cool info and working on currently on greater Calgary I saw outside Calgary going east abandoned lines I did not even see from any remnants and footprints from glory times.

Thank you for sharing and have a great sunday dear friend!\

Ning and Roy:wave:

That's excellent to hear/read at least the line is being rebuilt.

AFAIK the preparation works are still concentrated on the new building of Garut station, but for other stations (Pasirjengkol and Wanaraja stations, the former was previously a small halt with no signals and sidings before its closure in year 1983) on the rebuilt section they're already completed and is ready to operate. While the rebuilding work itself is slightly "outdated" due to the newly installed signals are old Siemens & Halske mechanical signals moved from other stations, but thankfully they're still functioning properly. :)

I also noticed the same map includes other abandoned lines of Indonesian Railways like Labuan Line (Rangkasbitung - Labuan), Bayah Line (Saketi - Bayah), Panarukan Line (Kalisat - Panarukan), and part of former Atjeh Tram mainline in Aceh province, though for the abandoned lines of Indonesian Railways included in that map I found some incorrect informations:

1. For Labuan Line and Bayah Line, the "Railroad" section shows Staatsspoorwegen (SS) instead of Indonesian Railways. In reality both lines were closed after Indonesia declared independence in 1945 and having the former SS and other companies in the Dutch East Indies era nationalized and merged into Indonesian Railways on September 28th, 1945, although the latter (Bayah Line) was constructed by Japanese in WWII period using rails from other lines forcibly dismantled for wartime usage, and closed in 1950s due to safety reasons.

2. Cikajang Line had no exact year of closure shown in the map; actually the line was closed in two stages, with the section from Garut to Cikajang closed in 1982, and the remaining section from Cibatu to Garut was abandoned in 1983. While the line's ridership had been already declined due to motorization, but the volcanic eruption of Mt. Galunggung in 1982 effectively 'killed' this line, as they were using steam locos like CC50 etc (as the volcanic ashes contaminated water for steamers, it triggers boiler damage on most of the locomotives of Cikajang Line).

3. The Panarukan Line is shown in the map as "closed in 2013", whereas this line was actually closed for rail traffic in April 2004. There had been plans for rebuilding this line, but as of today it had been yet to be materialized due to several reasons.

4. Former Atjeh Tram mainline stretching from Ulee Lheue (Aceh province) to Pangkalan Susu (North Sumatra province) was closed in 1976 after a flood that destroyed one of the bridges along the line. While this line is being rebuilt as part of the Trans-Sumatra Railway, there would be some sections built from scratch as replacement of original former Atjeh Tram right-of-way.

Regards,

Arya.

Back