Rotating A Route?

Vern

Trainz Maverick
Sure I saw somewhere this was possible, through either 90, 180 or 270 degrees but darned if I can find the information.

Would be extremely useful for doing the "proto model" style routes I enjoy. i.e. You could take a linear 5 or 6 mile route (say Kennington Jn to Wolvercote Jn) and divide it into 3 or 4 sections - Oxford station area and sidings on the front (360) arm, Hinksey Yard and Kennington on the right (90) arm, Oxford North to Wolvercote on the left (270) arm with the fiddle yards along the back.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be most appreciative.

Originally this post stated: Rotating a route used to be possible via the merge route tool in earlier Trainz versions, like TRS2004 and TS12. It is no longer possible in TRS19.

Looking at the merge tool capability of both those releases, they do not rotate any routes despite their graphic interface inferring that they do. They use the mini-map interface of Surveyor for the merge tool. In mini-map, control-cursor key rotates the map. In the merge tool, Auran and N3V failed to filter the control-cursor key input, so the tool looks like it is rotating one of the maps when the merge mini-map is presented in the screen. Upon merger however, nothing gets rotated.

Last edited:
There are posts now and then about copying and pasting one board at at time. You may want to search for them.

There are posts now and then about copying and pasting one board at at time. You may want to search for them.
Not really practical with a larger route, but thanks anyway.

Got to wonder why they pulled this feature from TANE/TRS19. I'm guessing it might be possible to create the basic (Transdem) sections in TRS12, rotate and merge as necessary then carry over into '19. In the meantime looks like I need to pay a visit to the Suggestion Boxcar.

Well I was able to rotate the cut portions in the pop up window (TS12), but when I hit the tick box to complete the process in the actual route had diverted to default rotation.

So I'm thinking the best way to do this (ATM) is to import the route into TRS19, create sufficient extra blank boards offset, then copy and paste the Transdem textures and heights rotating as necessary across.

Well I was able to rotate the cut portions in the pop up window (TS12), but when I hit the tick box to complete the process in the actual route had diverted to default rotation.

So I'm thinking the best way to do this (ATM) is to import the route into TRS19, create sufficient extra blank boards offset, then copy and paste the Transdem textures and heights rotating as necessary across.

Well you got your work cut out for you.

I was able to copy and paste a 3 x 3 baseboard map and make 4 out of 1. It needs a lot of GPU power to perform the paste once rotated.

I used to use them when I was merging sections of small routes, see here;

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...inz-Route-Connectors-90-degree-mainline-turns
Yes I noticed on my first attempt, it seemed to hang. As time was short, I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del to kill the programme, will try again tomorrow after the inevitable database rebuild.

Rotate of a route has never been possible. Back in the early versions, I had a route created by Angelah of Bristol Temple meads, which was in the wrong direction. I found a tall tower and placed one covering the four squares on the corners of every baseboard join. I then placed blank baseboards in the correct position that matched the original layout but at 90 degrees to the original. Copy or cut, rotate and paste one board at a time onto the new boards. You need to check splines as they may overlap the baseboard and remain attached to the original route. It was a matter of some touch-ups around the joins and delete the towers. It all worked out fine and is now the correct way around.

Another thought is to play with the world origin asset 44179:60014. It is a base scenery asset, locked from being rotated and rolled, but those who know how to make base asset imposters could tweak it so it can be rotated. Perhaps making a world origin imposter can rotate a route. Maybe its as simple as rotating its mesh.

Hi Vern --

Yes, you can rotate routes, in 90 degree increments. Use copy and paste, using the directional compass before pasting.

In essence:
Take an existing route.
Add additional baseboards.
Copy the section of the route that is of interest.
Paste, with rotation, to the new baseboards.
Delete the original route, leaving just the rotated copy.
Repeat with another route.
Merge the two.
Copy and paste one section so that the track merges with the other section (you can do a rotation here too, if necessary).
Delete unwanted sections as necessary.
Repeat ... .

Be aware though, that TurfFX grasses to not carry over. And things like sections of track associated with interactive industries will become disconnected.

If you are familiar with my model layouts this is the end result of copy, rotate, paste and merge of several of them:

"Yosemite #26 begins at the steel mill section extracted from The Deepwater Railroad, crosses over to a section from the lower level of The Port Loleta Railroad, sweeps past the dry sort yard into a part of Krashnburne, traverses the back streets before entering IntenCity, and finally crosses over the second of two swing bridges into what was the upper level of The Port Loleta Railroad."

Phil

Last edited:
I used chimneys in the corners to be copied/rotated and pasted
made it a lot easier to line things up

Thanks for all the advice, a morning of experimentation lies ahead.

Note, all I'm copying and pasting is the terrain and mapping textures, no buildings track or splines.

Back