Maintain "Posted" speed - AI Control?

boleyd

For some reason Trainz19 cuts the train speed in half if there are no signals for some ??? distance. I could not find info in the wiki.

So, you add signals (05 permissive in my case). Then you discover that the first new signal maintains speed. But the next signal you place reduces speed by half. Are there some published rules on signal placement in reference to this, somewhere?

===============================

I returned to the route before submitting this message just to check something. When I did return, I found that ALL signals were missing.
Restart of TRS19 did not help. Oh well, reading about some of the mishaps mine is not so bad. I was able to place and retain a few signals so now it is just possibly a few hours work to put them back. Debugging my own code was embarrassing. This stuff is _______________. That old periodic save thing would help with these new releases!

Last edited:
Correct Boleyd,
try adding more signals along the route (can use hidden signals)
exact distance i have not found yet
I add a signal atleast before every junction
greetings GM

Correct Boleyd,
try adding more signals along the route (can use hidden signals)
exact distance i have not found yet
I add a signal atleast before every junction
greetings GM

Signal spacing is based on many things including overall track speed, train length, and the number of trains. What you don't want is signals that are spaced too far apart if you're running short trains because that will make the speed inefficient due to the short trains occupying a block for too long causing other trains to wait at red signals. Longer trains than the blocks can mess things up as well due to long trains occupying multiple blocks. This is referred to as slack time. If you are running a commuter line, you will want your blocks to be close together in order to maintain a continuous speed due to the short trains that accelerate and decelerate quickly. Freights will require much longer blocks due to their size. Mixed traffic can mean a compromise and dealing with freights overlapping short blocks. This is preferred over short trains in long blocks because that can cause slower overall performance.

I learned this when taking a transportation engineering class in college. It was really, really interesting.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks. I was inclined to add more signals but feared that additions would result in new, & added, problems.

Need to look at the backup now that N3V was able to improve my frame rates by clearing out all those pesky signals.

Back