What Is This Contraption Used For?

randyhook

I've seen this in a couple of different photos now. Can someone tell me what that overhang device above the locomotive is used for?

wxrMsqE.jpg

Yes, in its a clearance check to ensure giraffe cars are not out of specification.🤣🤣

carop3376d_ident.gif

But seriously I do believe it has to do with overhead clearance checking for cars without rooves.

Last edited:
It's to tell Brakemen of an approaching low clearance . From the time men would walk the trains checking for hot boxes and hand braking .

Matt

Called a telltale. As Matt says they were used to tell brakemen to duck before bridges and other low clearance locations. We used to have some on the rail line near me including on the mainline bridge crossing the Merrimack River. I checked and those are gone now, but the one over the former Bradford to Georgetown branch is still there even though that's a bike trail now.

Last edited:
...those are gone now, but the one over the former Bradford to Georgetown branch is still there even though that's a bike trail now.

Absolutely, it was left there for the occasional giraffe strolling the bike path. Why won't anyone believe me?

Tall%20Giraffe%20Cannot%20Fit%20Into%20Tunnel%20%28Volatility%20Research%29%201000w.jpg

So the takeaway is if your rolling stock has catwalks*, you should place these at 100 foot from each portal.

----------------------------
* or giraffe cars

More, if there is an expectation that crew would be walking down the catwalks while the train is traveling, you should.

Peter

Back